X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanized repair couplings

I have a job that has a leak from a 1' tee galvanized in a high rise. They wont replace the whole line so im doing a repair to it. My ? is will these repair couplings hold. I got too cut pipe remove threaded pipe to tee and rethread in to tee then use this repair coupling to join the other ends. The union one to copper is not a option. Any ideas?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PlumbingParamedics; 06-19-2009, 07:08 PM.
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Galvanized repair couplings

I've used them. It will work in a pinch but it's not a long term solution. Not sure how well they stand up to high water pressure. We rarely have pressure over 50 psi.

Comment

1'?? 12" fitting or 1" fitting...? i would use a left right assembly or ground joint union... that dresser is hackish in my opion..

Comment

A couple of pex to mip or fip(depending on need) adapters on either end and run 3/4" pex in between.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
          A couple of pex to mip or fip(depending on need) adapters on either end and run 3/4" pex in between.
          Only problem with that is one of my ends will be saw zawed off and not have male or female to connect to

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
            1'?? 12" fitting or 1" fitting...? i would use a left right assembly or ground joint union... that dresser is hackish in my opion..
            1" fittings

Comment

you cant access from another fitting??

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                you cant access from another fitting??
                I want to but its a high rise and the other joint is on the floor above and they have tile on the wall in that bathroom. I may not take job unless they give me the ok to change from there.

Comment

the only other option thread that ***** in place.. is there enough room..? quailty of galvy is questionable???
                  Last edited by plumbworker; 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

No not enough, i guess im gonna try and change from other fitting thanks alot.

Comment

I have used dresser couplings before and they are hackish, but they do work!

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                        I have used dresser couplings before and they are hackish, but they do work!

Dresser coupling has no business in a high rise. What happens when (not if) it leaks?

Who will be footing the bill to repair the leak damage?

The fool who choose to use the Dresser coupling that's who.

If you want to keep your reputation intact, tell them you need to do it right or they can find someone else, but be sure and explain calmly and professionally why it needs to be done right and not hacked together.

If they don't comprehend or see the liability they are subjecting themselves to then you don't want to work there anyway. Head back to the shop for a cup of coffee and don't loose any sleep over this one, it's a can of worms.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob said it perfectly.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

is it possible to get into the existing hole with a hand threader at all? seems like that would be the surest solution. barring that, walk away and let someone else use the dresser coupling.
                            They're great in the crawlspace of a house, provided people understand that it's a Repair coupling, Not a permanent solution.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Do you know what will hurt your reputation quicker than using an approved Dresser coupling for a repair?...Walking away from money without providing a solution to your customer

Sure, we all know the proper thing to do. Cut out the riser and go back to the next fitting with an adapter. But that's not always possible. Threading a piece of old galvanized pipe in place is NEVER an option I would choose.

If you go with the Dressor be sure it's properly anchored and has the right gaskets for the application.

Tread carefully and cover your a$$, you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X