X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Freezing Methods

Do many of you get involved with burst water pipe repairs and use some sort of pipe freezing kit. I`ve been looking around at all the options in this field. So far I`ve seen the
    ColdShot method http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tab%3DWatching,

the refrigerator method - Ridgid SF2500 http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SF2500-Pipe-Freezer

and liquid nitrogen.

Has anyone used the Ridgid SF2500 Pipe Freezer method ?
    Last edited by Root Ranger; 06-21-2009, 07:16 AM.

Re: Pipe Freezing Methods

Originally posted by Root Ranger View Post
    Do many of you get involved with burst water pipe repairs and use some sort of pipe freezing kit. I`ve been looking around at all the options in this field. So far I`ve seen the
    ColdShot method http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tab%3DWatching,

the refrigerator method - Ridgid SF2500 http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SF2500-Pipe-Freezer

and liquid nitrogen.

Has anyone used the Ridgid SF2500 Pipe Freezer method ?

of course. i even have my original sf2000 from when they first came out a good 15 years ago

how do you think i made my plumbers milkshake

here's the deal. the coldshot use liquid co2 which is-109f very cold
    but you need to have a decent size heavy siphon co2 tank. plus a backup

liquid nitrogen is even colder and requires very expensive equipment plus a double wall type freeze collar. this is used by the real pros who do it daily.

the ridgid suoerfreeze is a plug and play unit. just plug it in and it circulates refrigerant to the aluminum freeze heads. takes a little loner tha liquid co2, but it's simple to setup and run. all you need is power.

i reserve my co2 bags for large pipe. 3'' and larger

remember that running water will not freeze. also too close to a running main will be issues. you need a dead ended line to be successful. also never cut a line unless you know it's frozen

interested in a 2500 superfreeze i have a spare

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I generally just buy Dry Ice ...

Since I only need to freeze once in a Blue Moon ...

Dave

Oh Rick would you please PM Me your E-Mail Address ... Thanxxxx

Comment

it does work on plastic, but i 've never tried and it does take longer as plastic is not a good conductor of heat or cold.

freezing pipe is not used to fix a leak. it's used to isolate a line.

if the line is leaking, then you need to stop the flow so it can be frozen and then replaced or a valve installed.

i always cut a small slice or drill a small hole after it's frozen just in case it's not fully frozen. this way i can easily clamp it and refreeze if i need to.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

that seems like it would be handy for stopping flow on a manifold rolled up in a wall.

Yesterday at a local fast food place I had a leak in the slab, rather than bust out the floor of the kitchen, I located the manifold in the wall, cut all of the pipes loose, and sweat in ballvalves. Turned the water back on so they could get back to doing business. then just turned them off and back on until the water stopped trickling up. total shutdown time was only 15 minutes or so.

It seems like I could have just frozen the lines one at a time and never shut the water down to the restaraunt.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

once again, you can't freeze running / flowing water.

pipe freezing is typically used on dead ended lines where the pipe is not flowing and you don't have a shut off valve. this allows you freeze the line and add a shut off valve to isolate the section to be worked on.

lets say you have a shower valve that needs replacing or servicing. but the only option is to shut down an entire building without notice. can't do it. so i freeze the pipe and add a shut off valve. no one was affected and i never shut or drained the system.

hospitals, office buildings, commercial applications are the locations that require this.

private homes would be a waste.

i first got into pipe freezing back in the late 80's when we had a 28 story office building being rehabbed. the hvac for a suite needed to be moved and the building engineer was not going to shut down the entire building and drain it down to the 3rd. floor for this work. so we froze the steel lines and welded a set of caps on. this was done with liquid co2 and freeze bags.

now with the ridgid electric units, i haven't used my co2 units in years. of course if i need to do 3'' or larger i will

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

either opening a downstream tap or drilling a hole will not cause the ice plug to move.

if it's frozen, it isn't going anywhere

what's fun is when you're done and the ice plug starts to open. the plug actually does torpedo down the line and you know it's open

pipe freezing and propress go hand and hand. nothing like using a torch a foot away from an ice cube

but propress takes seconds and there is no heat. no worries.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I also own a Ridgid pipe freeze machine my father bought when they first came out. A large retail store wanted a wall hydrant replaced but the 2" overhead valve had a busted stem and they did not want to shut down the main. So they bought us the machine. In all the years we owned it we used it about 30 times. It is not to often we need to freeze a line but it is very nice to have.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip
                  I'd sure be ready to shut down the building just in case that ice plug was more slush than plug....

What the heck is propress? Like sharkbites?
                  It crimps the copper fitting round the copper pipe. It does use o rings to seal.

http://www.viega.net/943.htm
                  Last edited by EasyEman; 06-27-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I'd sure be ready to shut down the building just in case that ice plug was more slush than plug....

What the heck is propress? Like sharkbites?
                    are you serious or just having fun with us

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      are you serious or just having fun with us

rick.

I wanna see where this one goes...

Comment

Seriously, I've seen it once when the metal band broke because of the Freeze. I replaced it with Uponor.
                        propress is not pex.

it's the copper fittings / viega, with the o-ring that gets crimped with the propress tool that ridgid makes.

just search the forum for all the photos i've posted.

propress is to copper

what the k-60 is to drain cleaning

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

propress is not pex.

it's the copper fittings / viega, with the o-ring that gets crimped with the propress tool that ridgid makes.

just search the forum for all the photos i've posted.

propress is to copper

what the k-60 is to drain cleaning

rick.
                          O-ring like a sharkbite o-ring? It took me 10 years to wrap my mind around Pex, so....

I like the sharkbites for emergency winter repairs when staying outside too long may be hazardous to life.

Drain cleaning here is dominated by a few drain cleaners. I had one call in the last 6 months for sewer stoppage.

I got a 25 year old Gorlitz with puller. Toilet bolts hold the thing together.

The cable is at least 10 years old--not a kink in it.
                          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Used use it a hand full of times in 23 years ,but had a guy standing ready at the main ..I do mainly residential ...

Comment

of course. i even have my original sf2000 from when they first came out a good 15 years ago

how do you think i made my plumbers milkshake

here's the deal. the coldshot use liquid co2 which is-109f very cold
                              but you need to have a decent size heavy siphon co2 tank. plus a backup

liquid nitrogen is even colder and requires very expensive equipment plus a double wall type freeze collar. this is used by the real pros who do it daily.

the ridgid suoerfreeze is a plug and play unit. just plug it in and it circulates refrigerant to the aluminum freeze heads. takes a little loner tha liquid co2, but it's simple to setup and run. all you need is power.

i reserve my co2 bags for large pipe. 3'' and larger

remember that running water will not freeze. also too close to a running main will be issues. you need a dead ended line to be successful. also never cut a line unless you know it's frozen

interested in a 2500 superfreeze i have a spare

rick.
                              I am Intersted in a 2500 superfreez is it still availabile ?

Comment

Working...
                              X