X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water ph and corrosion

i'm just wondering if electrolysis/galvanic action is dependent on water ph?

i understand the need for dielectric unions or brass connections to the HWH/HWT.

but i have to admit that i've come across copper to old galvy connections that look pristeen.

what's up it that?

Vince

Re: water ph and corrosion

Water chemistry plays a big part in how copper pipes hold up in a house. I have a friend who had pin holes in all the horizontal runs in his house. We checked the PH and it was 4.7 from his well. We replaced all the horizotal runs and installed an ionizer, softener and a filtration system. He hasn't had a problem since then.

Comment

They use acid in batteries as an electrolye so I will go with yes ph affects the process.

Comment

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm
        there are better galvanic tables out there but the general idea is that the closer 2 metals are to each on the table the less chance for galvanic corrosion, and the farther apart the more opportunity for corrosion.
        I remember learning all about the science in trade school but after so many years only the main points stick with me. I envy those guys with memories that retain everything.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
          I envy those guys with memories that retain everything.
          I don't. They're just a bunch of showoffs. I think some of them just make it up as they go along.
          BTW: My son's one of them, veritable photographic memory.

Comment

Not only will PH contribute, so will temperature. Ever notice how hot lines corrode faster than cold ones. That's why I occasionally see houses built in the late 40's and through the 50's plumbed with gal for the cold and copper for the hot. Cost drove this practice, but if galvanic action were as great on the cold side as on the hot, they wouldn't have piped in gal at all.

Comment

I Hope the PH was 7.4! & not 4.7! Otherwise his drinking water is remarkably acidic. The guy should worry more about his health than corrosion of his water system.
              Joke aside, I'll go with a PH o 7.4, slightly alkaline - drinkable but not good.
              Summer Greeting from Norway! (where the water is clean, and sex is dirty!)

Comment

Working...
              X