X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips needed

was helping a friend out today, the work included some supply line replacement. anyway, had one piece of pipe that would not dry out no matter what i did. opened up faucets on the same line. opened up valves lower, etc....yet the water kept on coming. thin solid stream. not dripping.

anyway i know about the bread trick, did not help. was a long gruling pain in the *** to sweat the joint but i finally got it....

looking for tips to solve this problem in the future

thanks guys
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

i know of a product call jet plug its a rubber plug on a long rod you slide thourgh a valve or a half union tighten it up stops flow they work ok

Comment

I had the same problem, main water shut off leaked...Had to use shop vac hooked up to outside faucet with some other faucets opened up to supply more air flow...worked like a charm..

Comment

You should also try to prop the line up so the water flows back the other way. It works for me all the time
        Mike

Comment

Sometimes it helps to open the meter coupling to drain off water from inside the house and prevent continued flow thru the water meter...assuming this is a single dwelling and you won't flood the basement or other area.

Comment

If its a small drip try white bread or shaving cream or packing dry ice around the pipe

Comment

Jet Sweats. Work like a charm.

Comment

The hot water tank depending on it's location can be a neverending source of H2O. Closing the valve to the HWT can also help.

Comment

Drain about three gals. of water from hot water heater that way most of water will drain into tank then sweat a drain coupling on to the side with the soure of water. If this doesnt work wedge something between pipe to cause back pitch and then sweat a ball valve on.

Comment

Another trick i used before which worked for small trickles of water is get another torch a couple of feet down the line, continuously heat a small area of pipe (keeping it hot)and the water should stop at that point and will not flow to the joint you are working on, It should give u enough time to solder your fitting. Or you can do this with 1 torch, by heating a section a couple feet away. Again, it only works on small trickles.

Comment

How about shutting off the main supply, opening up a few nearby faucets and then blowing compressd air in the pipe end?

Comment

Working...
                      X