Duriron Underground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duriron Underground

Great Post! thanks for the follow up and all the gorgeous pics. What camera were you using to take the pics. Some of them almost look professional....

Comment

Great post, thank you much

You can get irons and joint runner rope from Ferguson. At least the one out here has the joint runner and irons.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        Great Post! thanks for the follow up and all the gorgeous pics. What camera were you using to take the pics. Some of them almost look professional....
        Thanks! I kind of botched up the post processing in a couple of the pics, you can tell by the difference in the color of the dirt.

The camera is a Canon Rebel XTI (aka 400D) with a Canon EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. It's Canon's entry level SLR. It's capable of taking much better shots than I am! I've shot about 3K photos with it since I've had it. About 25 of which I'm really pleased with.

Someone asked about the bands (couplings) in an earlier post. They're Duriron MJ (mechanical joint) couplings and are the only approved system for joining Duriron hubless pipe.

Comment

Great pics and post. Thanks.

A few questions:

1.) What runs through the lines requiring this system?

2.) Why are some sections mechanically coupled while others leaded?

3.) Do they have inspections on this?

Just trying to learn.

Looks good. I don't think I have work or pics that look as good to post.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Duriron Underground; What I learned:

I made this post to give the folks that may never have been exposed to this product or this kind of work an idea of what it's like. Obviously some of you have been around this kind of work before and appreciated it too. Thanks for the compliments.

I realize it's not an end all instruction to underground/Durion work, in fact far from it. Like I said, it's just to give people a peek at what goes on. It would be incomplete though without a few words of caution that I learned about the product during this project.

• Duriron is heavy & fragile. I suggest treating it as glass
            • Duriron is very expensive, not readily available, and has a high restocking fee. Order accordingly.
            • The acid resistant oakum is the same as above. If you run out, figure it's three days away, minimum.
            • The MJ couplings have a SS band, the gasket material appears to be Teflon with a coating like latex on it. The coating comes off very easily, Duriron says the couplings can't be reused. At $35 - $50 a pop, we found them hard to throw away but most weren't suitable for more than one use.
            • Document damaged received goods like you have never before, like I said, it's expensive.

Next up....
            Orbital Welding!!
            Last edited by randall c; 07-05-2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

See Post#20 please.

And what did you use to cut on this job?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks!

1.) What runs through the lines requiring this system?

It's a lab in a refinery/chemical plant. I imagine if I asked them they wouldn't say. They're pretty hush hush when it comes to their products. Any of the Polypro systems would have been chemically resistant enough the owner just has a thing about plastic under a building.

2.) Why are some sections mechanically coupled while others leaded?

Mechanical couplings are only available for Duriron up to 4", we had some 6" in our system. If we'd made it all bell & spigot, we'd still be melting lead!!

3.) Do they have inspections on this?

The owners, engineers, and general contractor each have a QA/QC dept that looks at all the work.

4.) And what did you use to cut on this job?

Regular cast iron cutters. Duriron cuts very easy, it fact, it's almost scary!

Comment

Thanks. Learning.

Is the chemical resistance a coating inside the pipe or is it suspended throughout the pipe composition? Maybe too techie.... sorry.

And why no stub up test on the p-trap in pic 2 of post 4?

(Just . I know you know your stuff. )

J.C.
                  Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-05-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

rope

dirtyhands...................www.duffcompany.com 1-610-275-4453. p.688 in tool catalog. #12620 (4" to 6") and #12621 (6" to 8"). you have to call for price................. ratz said www.ferguson.com has in stock. i couldn't find them in online catalog. may have to call local store. breid
                    Last edited by breid1903; 07-05-2009, 01:41 PM. Reason: "i'm stupid"

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Thanks. Learning.

Is the chemical resistance a coating inside the pipe or is it suspended throughout the pipe composition? Maybe too techie.... sorry.

And why no stub up test on the p-trap in pic 2 of post 4?

(Just . I know you know your stuff. )

J.C.
                      Duriron refers to it as "a high silicon iron alloy", it is the material itself (throughout) that is acid resistant.

Question no. 2...
                      Uhhh.... I ran out of 3" pipe!! We had to order more and needed to get our test off so we could backfill. There wasn't much horizontal 3" on the U/G and we trypically use our cut offs for risers so we came up short. I left a hole at some of the p-traps and we came back later and put risers in.

Comment

Re: rope

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                        www.duffcompany.com 1-610-275-4453. p.688 in tool catalog. #12620 (4" to 6") and #12621 (6" to 8"). you have to call for price................. ratz said www.ferguson.com has in stock. i couldn't find them in online catalog. may have to call local store. breid
                        Nice Job! I looked online for hours, dug through every old box I have, & called all our sales reps including Ferguson and couldn't locate one.

Pouring lead has been all but obsolete in this part of the country for over 25 yrs. I spoke with someone the other day that says they still see quite a bit in the midwest. I suggest if anyone thinks they may ever need a running rope they buy now. Who knows what you'll be able to get in another five years.

Comment

Originally posted by randall c View Post
                          Duriron refers to it as "a high silicon iron alloy", it is the material itself (throughout) that is acid resistant.

Question no. 2...
                          Uhhh.... I ran out of 3" pipe!! We had to order more and needed to get our test off so we could backfill. There wasn't much horizontal 3" on the U/G and we trypically use our cut offs for risers so we came up short. I left a hole at some of the p-traps and we came back later and put risers in.
                          Thanks. One of the reasons I asked about inspections is I worked with a GC that did some work there and he said where he was at that there were no inspections.

Just really surprised me.

Great post. Learned alot. Gotta' get me some astronaut boots to keep safe.

J.C.

Comment

Re: rope

Fergusons can Get them, The ferguson satellite store in Jacksonville nc had some lead tools and the lead itself a year or so back when I left the area, so they should at least be able to order them.

Originally posted by randall c View Post
                            Nice Job! I looked online for hours, dug through every old box I have, & called all our sales reps including Ferguson and couldn't locate one.

Pouring lead has been all but obsolete in this part of the country for over 25 yrs. I spoke with someone the other day that says they still see quite a bit in the midwest. I suggest if anyone thinks they may ever need a running rope they buy now. Who knows what you'll be able to get in another five years.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Outstanding post and great pictures

Comment

randal, very nice work and nice photos to go with the good story and lessons you share

it's been a good 15 years since i worked with durioron and even fuse seal. the plastic fuse seal required almost the same skills as working with hdpe plastic.

i honestly feel that fuse seal will outlast the duririon over the long run. plus it's a whole lot less expensive too.

very nice thread you posted, especially for being new to this forum

keep them coming.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X