Duriron Underground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duriron Underground

Where's all this waste end up? Does it go to a processor or does into go straight to the city sewer?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Where's all this waste end up? Does it go to a processor or does into go straight to the city sewer?
      Typically acid waste systems go into a neutralization tank filled with a media (limestone) that gets the pH to an acceptable level before entering a city or municipal sewer system. A sample well is installed downstream of the neutralization tank so that samples can be taken to insure the media is doing its job. The last few of these I’ve seen have electronic monitoring as well. The sample well is more for the city’s use.

In this case I have no idea where the acid waste is going. Another contractor took off with our piping to; I presume a neutralization tank. This is a very large facility ( ~25 sq. miles), they have their own waste treatment, water supply, they even generate their own electricity.

Comment

NICE pics boss! For being such a newbie to this forum, WE sure did make Thread of the week pretty fast! haha I had a great time installing this U/G and I think I got some really good hands on exp. with the Duriron pipe instalation. U know its not like going out there and splling some glue on a piece of PVC and pushing it together! The process and procedures we had to use to install this pipe was above anything I have to exp. in my short career as a plumber! I hope this and it very well looks like these pics have helped some guys out! its good to know that we did something good at least ONCE!! good luck to any of u guys who get to install some duriron.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRchase600 View Post
          NICE pics boss! For being such a newbie to this forum, WE sure did make Thread of the week pretty fast! haha I had a great time installing this U/G and I think I got some really good hands on exp. with the Duriron pipe instalation. U know its not like going out there and splling some glue on a piece of PVC and pushing it together! The process and procedures we had to use to install this pipe was above anything I have to exp. in my short career as a plumber! I hope this and it very well looks like these pics have helped some guys out! its good to know that we did something good at least ONCE!! good luck to any of u guys who get to install some duriron.
          The one thing I forgot to put in this thread is the most important -

Thanks to the guys that did 99.9% of the real work!!

Now go get some rest so you can do it again tomorrow!

Comment

I'm glad you guys were shown some appreciation.Thanks for coming on board and sharing.

I was scared that soon the only thing left for me to nominate would be discriptive narrative and pictures showing how Rick makes his socks into those little balls to keep Snoopy and Scooby separate from Batman and Spiderman.

Comment

I'm on vacation in Canada but had to respond to such an awesome display of plumbing.
              I miss the nohub and haven't poured a joint since apprenticeship. Hope you hit all your walls, thanks for all the great pick.

Comment

How in the heck did this thread come in second place to the sewer monster? I want a recount. This should be the thread of the year.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  How in the heck did this thread come in second place to the sewer monster? I want a recount. This should be the thread of the year.

Being new here, when I posted I didn't realize there was a "thread of the week". I'm flattered this thread was nominated. I posted on Sat July 4, I guess the day before the polls closed. My bad. In a couple of months I'll have a start to finish on some stainless steel orbital welding and maybe something noteworthy between now & then. I'll try and time my post strategically advantageous to nominations.

Thanks for the props guys!
                  Last edited by randall c; 07-07-2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

ya we are newbies here on the board but when we bring it..... WE BRING IT!!!! haha

Comment

I'm just curious about one thing. In my eyes the hardest task involved in this endeavor has not been mentioned.
                      How well did the estimator do his job?

Did you run out of labor?

Imho, good mechanics, as the pictures demonstrate your people to be, can master most any task. Putting a SWAG down beforehand as to how long the task will take is the real challenge. Guess high and nothing happens, except you've wasted some time on unproductive overhead. Guess low and your people will keep busy working the company right down the drain.

Comment

Amazing pictures, amazing comentary and most of all a GREAT post thank you for that!

Comment

I am the Mech/plumbing foreman on this job, Randall is the Supt. If Randall wants to share numbers thats his call, but we did talk about it after we finished and we did pretty good I think. But that doesnt make it a success yet my friends!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                            I'm just curious about one thing. In my eyes the hardest task involved in this endeavor has not been mentioned.
                            How well did the estimator do his job?

Did you run out of labor?

Imho, good mechanics, as the pictures demonstrate your people to be, can master most any task. Putting a SWAG down beforehand as to how long the task will take is the real challenge. Guess high and nothing happens, except you've wasted some time on unproductive overhead. Guess low and your people will keep busy working the company right down the drain.

That's a very good question. Thanks for the opportunity to answer it.

But not without standing on my soapbox first...

If I were an estimator we'd all be sitting at home.

I've been doing this stuff for 30+ years and running work the last 18. Mostly larger jobs up to $25M. There always seems to be a point in every job that we figure it out... this is why we got the job. The company I work for is open with the estimate & I use that to break up my labor cost codes prior to starting the project. If there's going to be trouble somewhere I can usually see it up front and take action to try & minimize losses. I can be much more successful at a task if you say, "here's $25K to do xxxx" as opposed to "go do xxxx as profitably as you can". Chances are I can give you some of your money back if I know what I had to start with.
                            ... but I don't want to divulge too much.

So the revised short answer is;
                            Even though the estimator didn't know 6" & up is only available in hub & spigot and thought we could do the whole job in MJ;

Our savings here was < 10%, not what I had hoped for but not bad, we had a couple of rain days too. If the estimator can get us a job with a reasonable amount of labor in it, it's my responsibility to get it done. I almost always have a labor savings on underground work. It's the first thing we do on a job, there's usually plenty of time to plan with fewer distractions. Plan your work & work your plan.

Hats off to the crew, outstanding job as always.

Comment

well considering im the only one left from the crew..... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRchase600 View Post
                                well considering im the only one left from the crew..... thanks
                                Do you keep a "regular" crew? Or do they change at each job?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X