Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duriron Underground

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Do you keep a "regular" crew? Or do they change at each job?

Thanks.

J.C.
    We are fairly small company now. Probably about ~50 tradesmen. We don't keep a regular crew but over the years most of our paths have crossed many times.

Another of the underground crew will be back on Monday to start some lab gas piping.

Lock it in!

Comment

Originally posted by randall c View Post
      We are fairly small company now. Probably about ~50 tradesmen. We don't keep a regular crew but over the years most of our paths have crossed many times.

Another of the underground crew will be back on Monday to start some lab gas piping.

Lock it in!
      Roughly 50 tradesmen is a HUGE company to me. I'm just a guy in a truck trying to learn things.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Roughly 50 tradesmen is a HUGE company to me. I'm just a guy in a truck trying to learn things.

J.C.
        A year ago I was running a job with more people than at the company today. If this economy continues it's trend, I'll be like you... except without the truck!

In all seriousness, smaller jobs can be a lot more trouble than larger ones. What might be a minor inconvenience on a large project can be near catastrophic on a smaller one. The problems usually come quicker and the solutions need to be quicker too.

I've been lucky!

Comment

In all seriousness, smaller jobs can be a lot more trouble than larger ones. What might be a minor inconvenience on a large project can be near catastrophic on a smaller one. The problems usually come quicker and the solutions need to be quicker too.
          I've been lucky!
          Well put, Randall. As for coming in only 10% lower then budget on the underground, that's amazing considering the learning curve involved in lead and oakum proficiency. I'm curious, did your estimator realize the need for bell and spigot above 4"? I assume he must have had some kind of warning when he couldn't find pricing on 6" MJ couplings. Trying to figure how long to make up a typical 6" lead joint, including excavation for the bell would be a WAG (wild *** guess) for anyone under 60 years old, unless they're from Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            Well put, Randall. As for coming in only 10% lower then budget on the underground, that's amazing considering the learning curve involved in lead and oakum proficiency. I'm curious, did your estimator realize the need for bell and spigot above 4"? I assume he must have had some kind of warning when he couldn't find pricing on 6" MJ couplings. Trying to figure how long to make up a typical 6" lead joint, including excavation for the bell would be a WAG (wild *** guess) for anyone under 60 years old, unless they're from Chicago.
            I can't be critical of our estimator especially in a public forum, after all we did get the job and looking forward it appears it will be profitable +, but we have a long way to go. I'd rather just say (imo) he's at least as lucky as he is good.

One of the mechanics on the project actually had quite a bit of recent experience with lead & oakum so we didn't suffer much there. We were able to save a good bit of money on excavation; we used one of our plumbers on a rented backhoe instead of a subcontractor. When he wasn't operating he was installing plumbing so there was virtually no down time there. I detailed the U/G myself and raised the elevation on the branch lines where I could to reduce excavation. When we reduce excavation, we reduce backfill and compaction so the savings there snowball. Having a detailed shop drawing all but eliminated guys standing around scratching their heads. When they know what to do, they'll do it.

The learning curve came in figuring out how we were going to satisfy the owner's safety requirements as well as our own working with lead in this day & age. The safety requirements in a plant like this are unbelievable if you've never been there. It was not unusual to have a group of safety professionals the same size as our crew spectating.

Comment

I detailed the U/G myself and raised the elevation on the branch lines where I could to reduce excavation. When we reduce excavation, we reduce backfill and compaction so the savings there snowball. That's what God made 1/8 bends for.

Having a detailed shop drawing all but eliminated guys standing around scratching their heads. When they know what to do, they'll do it. Randall, some shops are cranking out those shop drawing in CAD generated 3-D. Makes a plumber's skill almost superfluous.

The learning curve came in figuring out how we were going to satisfy the owner's safety requirements as well as our own working with lead in this day & age. The safety requirements in a plant like this are unbelievable if you've never been there. It was not unusual to have a group of safety professionals the same size as our crew spectating. My neighbor just finished a project at UC Berkeley where the training involved (which required going through on multiple line courses with testing) was almost as extensive as the actual work involved. Also, to do any task required submittal of a plan of action requiring approval be various layers of bureaucracy.
              And they wonder why it costs so much.

Comment

lock it in!!!!

Comment

ya thats a good point!! having a detailed drawing makes life on the mechanic doin the lay out alot easier!!

(only if they can read it)

Comment

Working...
                  X