X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duriron Underground

A few months ago I made my first post here asking for subjective data on molten lead. We were installing an underground using Duriron pipe & fittings with some 6". Duriron is only available in hub & spigot for 6" and above. Well I came up short so we had to come up with our own procedure.

Keep in mind this is in an industrial plant and the environment is as different from commercial as residential is to commercial.

Below are some pics and a little narrative of the process from start to stop.

Some dirt had to be cleaned off pier caps to find centers of columns to establish control lines.

Control lines are established so we begin laying out excavations.

Excavation

Duriron pipe is pretty heavy @ ~85#s for a 7' length of 4" so equipment was used to stage it on the building pad.

Re: Duriron Underground

Pushing the acid resistant oakum into the Duriron fittings with a yarning iron-

We could have made a lot of bullets & fishing weights with this lead-

The wind blows pretty good around this place so we had to use a double makeshift wind screen-

Where we had molten lead had to be flagged off with red tape & signage was posted-
    The verbiage for the sign is straight out of OSHA 1926

The running rope / joint runner is in place we just need to get the lead melted -

Soups on! -

Pouring the lead with the running rope-

Pouring a joint vertically. Note the safety gear; we had to be fitted for respirators, wear gloves, goggles, flame retardant clothing, and foot protection while working with the molten lead. Yes, IMO this is quite an overkill.

After removing the running rope-
    Last edited by randall c; 07-04-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Cleaning up the lead pour before caulking the joint-

Caulking the inside-

Here's a little piece of our main with bell holes for caulking the joints in the trench -

Here's one of our branches run in 4" mechanical joint tying into the main -

Close up of 4" Combination, +$500 here including the couplings -
      Last edited by randall c; 07-04-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Some of our rough in with the MJ

Here are a couple of drains for emergency showers roughed in, this had water on it, notice how the water wicks into the pipe at the joints -

Test looks good, cover it up! -

We use a roller on the longer trenches for compaction & a rammer / jumping jack around the risers -

Whewww... what a day. Trenches are back filled and compacted, we marked the risers so hopefully they won't be damaged -

Questions and comments are welcome.
        Last edited by randall c; 07-04-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Great pictures.....nice post. The last time I got close to hot lead I was in the service. They didn't give us respirators or foot protection but we had body armor.

Comment

That was awesome!Thank you very much for that post and pix.What are the bands?

(Saw Judas priest last night,they played the entire British Steel album.)

Test looks good cover it up...Your riser looks crooked ; -)

Those pipes will be in place long after we have all passed through the gates.Nice job.
            Last edited by Jay Mpls; 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM. Reason: wilbur

Comment

Looks good except for using a packing iron to caulk the joint, but that is nit picking. Nice work and great photos.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                Looks good except for using a packing iron to caulk the joint, but that is nit picking. Nice work and great photos.
                I think Bob's referring to a Broad Curved Nose Iron.
                To check out all kinds of irons, try this site:
                http://www.mephistotool.com/caulkingIrons.html

Nice the lead pot and burner, Randell. Brought back memories of me playing with the lead pot as a kid. I used to fish out the impurities with an iron. Great fun when you're 8 years old.

Comment

Years ago I asked a couple of old timers (both in their 80's at the time) which side of a joint do you caulk first, the inside or the outside. One said inside, the other said outside. Still don't know the definitive answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

Nice the lead pot and burner, Randell. Brought back memories of me playing with the lead pot as a kid. I used to fish out the impurities with an iron. Great fun when you're 8 years old.
                    Yup, a iron such as that I always used for packing the yarn into the joint. Yarning irons were used to stuff the yarn loosely into the joint. And caulking irons were used to finish the joint and lock the lead in the hub. Mine all had a cross-hatch pattern on the working face, and left a nice criss-cross pattern when you were done. It also let them bite into the lead and not slip when you were caulking the lead.

You're gonna make me go dig those irons out of their final resting place garage and post a couple pics.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

I've had this site in my favorites for a couple years.
                      Where can a guy get a good all around rope?The last one I used in the eighties was a specific 3" only made out of rubber.

I like the one in the photo above.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        I've had this site in my favorites for a couple years.
                        Where can a guy get a good all around rope?The last one I used in the eighties was a specific 3" only made out of rubber.

I like the one in the photo above.
                        I was gonna say PASCO [ http://www.pascospecialty.com/products.php ],

but I looked in their tool catalog (at the link above) and it is recently discontinued.
                        You might find one at a local plumbing supply before their stock runs out.

Or try here:

http://www.plumbsource.net/product/4...nt_Runner.html
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-04-2009, 05:23 PM.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Thank you Bob for looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            Kind of looks like it there but it's an inside iron, here's a crop of that photo -

and you can see it better here in another shot in the series -

As far as I know Mephisto is the only place to buy irons any more. A running rope? Good luck, maybe try e-bay?

I had to dig deep for that one

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Comment

I've got a running rope that we picked up at the supply house last year, I think. Just like the one in Randell's picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X