X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many chances

if there was an award for employee rehires we would be in the running for the number 1 spot,when you invest time in training people and have to let them go because personal issues seem to get in the way of on the job performance and you warn and write employees up and try to educate as well as not try to step into there personal even thou that always seems to show ,it sometime seems you as an employer have more faith in them than they do themselves, anyway well try again today, bringing back a good apprentice that says he sorted out personal issues and wants another go. so when is the devil you know better than the devil you don't know? you hate to train anyone in vain.

Re: how many chances

If it's Meth or Crack ... Run Like Hell ! There is NO cure !!!

Dave

Comment

I have a little experience with hiring and firing and a lot of experience with misspent youth (my own).

We take many chances with the people we hire and train. Their personal issues are only one of them. Some people grow up and make the changes they need to be productive citizens, others never seem to. We've rehired many that we had previously given up on only to see we were right all along, but, some of our best people have gone through this routine too.

I wouldn't base the decision on the (pervious) employee's needs but on my own. If I needed the help, I might give him preferential treatment but his employment would be probationary. Maybe suspend benefits, and/or some of his previous compensation until he proved worthy.

IMO what's worse is; that once they're trained they think they are worth more than we do (in some cases they're probably right) and end up working for the competition.

Comment

My experience with rehires is hit or miss. Probably slightly better than new hires. At least you already know what his work skills/capabilities are. I have had some come back in like they owned the joint and others go from being the worst to being the best employee. If you give a 90 day probation to new hires, let that apply for this guy. And if there is the standard 90 day wait for benefits for new hires, he should be subject to that. The whole idea is to send the message that to regain your respect he will have to earn it, not have it handed right back to him. Put it in writing in case he doesn't make it thru the probation period and then goes for unemployment. Also, let him know that this is a one shot deal and will not be offered again. I have never given someone more than one rehire.

Comment

I used to give chances,write ups, probation etc. Some times it worked others it didn't but when I was on my last straw with them, I would say "you mess up again don't even call me cause your done" saved me the firing face thing but some still called me anyway lol. End all thing if it's drugs it never works out no matter what and some people are just plain destined to be fired their whole life.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            I used to give chances,write ups, probation etc. Some times it worked others it didn't but when I was on my last straw with them, I would say "you mess up again don't even call me cause your done" saved me the firing face thing but some still called me anyway lol. End all thing if it's drugs it never works out no matter what and some people are just plain destined to be fired their whole life.
            I agree with you 100%. Once not loyal that is your warning... From then on the lesson is yours to learn. Sometimes good people have devastating problems hit there lives, but good people handle it appropriately, and ask for time off or a leave of absence. When it comes to drugs... A crack head will sell your truck, tools, and rights to your first born to feed the thirst. Not worth the lessons you have to learn for them. Through this recession I have really got to learn a lot about employees, and just how creative they can be at a good screwing.

Comment

Yeah I hear That ...

Rare is the person that Rools up their sleevs and Sees what they can do to make things Better .... Like bringing in Work rather than Steeling your assets to Moonlight ...

Dave

Comment

I have yet to re-hire someone I've fired. I don't need that agrivation. They've always got an excuse for what they did and a reason why they won't do it again. BS! The people with personal problems will always have personal problems. It's thier nature. Of course there is always the exception that proves the rule. I have yet to find one though.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                X