X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gastite

Im running a new gas line for a BBQ and dont wanna use copper. I took the Gastite training class about five years ago but forgot most of it. Any one use it? Is cost comparable to copper? ease of use? Thanks Paul G
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Gastite

gastite is the brand i use and stock

the material is more expensive than copper size for size. and the fittings are the real expense. the end termination fittings, gastite x mip are pretty much all you need. tees are way too expensive.

goes in real fast and if you're not burying it in a wall or coming up in a wall, very little protection is required. it's when it's installed in a wall or floor that it's very important to follow all the safety issues.

the hardened safety plates, conduit floppies, and proper strapping are the key to safety.

not sure about your electrical grounding or lightning protection as that's a local jurisdiction issue.

i've had great results with it on these type of projects

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
      Have you seen the New 151 CSST Cutter from Ridgid. Has special rollers that follow corragations. Cuts 3/8 to 1" Gas tubing

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Dibble View Post
        Rick
        Have you seen the New 151 CSST Cutter from Ridgid. Has special rollers that follow corragations. Cuts 3/8 to 1" Gas tubing
        i saw a prototype a year ago and it was not a real working unit at the time.

the 151 is a modified 1.5'' tubing cutter.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

The cutters are available now. Ridgid Cat# 32078

Comment

I use it and find it is more expensive for the material, but you make up in labor. If you are going to bury it in the ground make sure you sleeve it, and have an electrician ground or bond it.

Comment

use a regular cutter with a steel wheel

Comment

since you took the gastite cert about 5 years ago. You may want to check your local code. I know here you need to have it electircally bonded to a grounding rod due to lightning stirkes.

Comment

I just installed some on a remod job. I like it, I also like that most supply houses around here won't sell it unless you show them your plumbing license. I have had a hard time cutting the corrugated s.s. and getting a good clean cut. I asked an electrician about bonding and he said he thought it would do more harm than good!? Apparently not a code issue here in Oregon? Does anybody know how many different manufacturers there are for css pipe. Wardflex, Trackpipe, Gastight....I ran a sawzall through an unexpected piece of Wardflex under a kitchen sink and it took all day to track down a repair coupling, no standardization, no fun

Comment

grunt

how did you hit it under a kitchen sink?

Comment

Use BLACK IRON, stronger, and all standard fittings....been around for 100 years + Yah, I know it takes longer to install....

Comment

In response to the question about the gas line under the sink. I was installing a new hose bib off the k.s. line, I had to open the sheet rock and I got impatient. What I didn't know was that the BBQ on the other side of the exterior wall had a NG gas line. Started hacking with the sawzall and all of a sudden it smelled like rotten eggs. In my defence I don't think you can run a css line through a wall without strike plates that extend out on either side of a stud. There was nothing like that on this css line.

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                          Apparently not a code issue here in Oregon?
                          actually its from manufactures specifications, and National Code

http://www.gastite.com/page.php?pg=p...e&idlink=link8
                          2009 National Fuel Gas Code Update

October 2008 - NFGC requires bonding of ALL CSST systems per section 7.13 – Electrical Bonding and Grounding. To obtain a copy of the 2009 edition of the National Fuel Gas Code, please visit www.nfpa.org.

Gastite, a division of the Titeflex Corporation, is a manufacturer of flexible gas piping systems for residential, commercial and industrial applications.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on bonding. I have talked to two electricians about this because I don't know much about electrical stuff. They both said they have never heard about bonding/grounding with css pipe. The last job I did with css, neither the electrical or plumbing inspector said anything, and the electrician did not seem concerned about this. How likely is this to cause a problem? Electrical storms are not very common around here, I'm assuming that is the main concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                              Use BLACK IRON, stronger, and all standard fittings....been around for 100 years + Yah, I know it takes longer to install....
                              I refuse to use it. People talk about the dumbing-down of the trade all the time on here, I consider gas tite to be the sharkbite of the gasfitting industry. Not only does it allow any jackass to run gas lines, but it is an inferior product. There are all types of handymen here who take the gastite or wardflex course, and equate that certificate with a gas ticket.
                              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X