Leak in yard gas piping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak in yard gas piping

Decided against using a camara, too many tees in a line that is going to locations from a 3" meter riser. Tried pumping with 100 # of air and using a friend's brand new listening device. Too much ambient noise on the job site to find anything. He also has a sniffer, so we pumped the line up with about 40 of propane (easy to come by) and he started retracing the line like a blood hound. Since about half of the line is under concrete, it took some time for the gas to seep out, but it finally did. He pinpointed it to a section of slab about 10 feet wide. After they removed the concrete and found the exact location of the hole, I cut it out and used an insert coupling to effect the repair.
    As you can see the gas line is too crowded in the trench and a little shallow. We put 'em where we were told to, trenching and fill were by others. As to the instrument that created the hole, I have no idea. The concrete guys say there is no reason for them to have put a stake in that location and I agree with their argument, but one could have been placed there by accident. It may even have been the tip of a pick. All I know is it's fixed and I'll be generating a bill to the GC for my troubles probably in the range of $3000 to $3500 when I figure all the labor expended to find the expletive hole.

Re: Leak in yard gas piping

I like iron in My diet.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Nice find. I had one a few years back that I wish I had pics of but do not.
      The homeowner smelled gas in the backyard and commented that the grass was always dead in a specific spot for years. I removed the landscape ties and dug down to expose the line and what I found was that the land scape tie had been anchored with rebar about 30" long and it had squarely hit the center of a 1" line that fed the back garage/shop. It was centered perfectlly just like your pic. Cut it out and repaired the line. Took the pipe and rebar back to the shop for show-and-tell but no pics.

Comment

how did you get away with not burying it 18'' as required? even under outside slabs requires the 18''.

i know you're not the one who trenched or backfilled, but you're the one responsible for the proper installation of the line and inspection.

looks like electrical conduit next to it too

what has the general said about the backcharges?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          how did you get away with not burying it 18'' as required? even under outside slabs requires the 18''. When the line was trenched there were no grade benchmarks to go by. As it was, it was all we could do to convince them to trench as much as they did. They would have preferred 60' here and 40' there in increments all over the site. We had to explain that poly pipe doesn't go in in sections, but has to be run, tracered and tested before being burried.

i know you're not the one who trenched or backfilled, but you're the one responsible for the proper installation of the line and inspection.
          Once my installation is inspected and signed off I am contractually off the hook. The GC didn't want to pay for my trenching sub, preferring to do it in house. We are responsible for trenching and fill on about 5% of our projects, and of the other 95% I'd say the work is done professionally on about 25%. The biggest drawback with this shows up in sewer trenches. Proper fall, 45's and 22-1/2's are hard to communicate, especially with a language barrier. I tell my guys not to touch a shovel, but sometimes it can't be avoided. That's why I either do services T & M or put a little extra in for trench modification.

looks like electrical conduit next to it too LIke I said, we were in and inspected first, what went on after us was out of our scope and control. Since I was able to repair the line (without damage to proximate conduits) with a code approved fitting, I guess you could say there was proper spacing.

what has the general said about the backcharges? He hasn't seen them yet. But I don't foresee a problem. We found it, fixed it, his schedule wasn't disrupted and he didn't have to tear up the whole site. We didn't screw him, rather we saved his arse and only cost him a few $K on a $10 mil project.

rick.
          Basically, just another day in paradise.

Comment

curious what is the project u are workin on?

Comment

Multiple buildings (main house, guest house, caretaker's house, tennis pavilion, outdoor BBQ) on a couple acre lot.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                I like iron in My diet.

ahhh-yep.

IRON doesn't have these issues. That's why there are skeletons of this piping across millions of homes, skyscrapers, aging buildings.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  ahhh-yep.

IRON doesn't have these issues. That's why there are skeletons of this piping across millions of homes, skyscrapers, aging buildings.
                  Underground, steel has all kinds of issues. For example, one little holiday in the coating on xtru coat pipe and there will be a leak by and by. Poly pipe left undisturbed will last many lifetimes.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X