X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart water meter

so yesterday i go to a large beverly hills house. they got a postcard form the city claiming they show water usage 24 hours a day

actually it was all 96- 15 minute segments in the 24 hour period.

in oct 08 the city had installed a "smart meter" this is a water meter that is digital and has a wireless connection to the cities public works water departments computers like big brother watching

they actually read and monitor the water usage from every meter in the city wireless.

every 15 minutes it checks for usage. if there is usage in 50 or more of the 96 daily checks, it sends a report to the city and they generate a post card warning.

here's the problem. it doesn't really reflect how large or small the usage is. turns out after going there and reading the electronic meter i determined it's a very, very small leak. in fact the meter doesn't really show a constant flow.

out of the 14 irrigation zones, i found 1 automatic valve that was wet. this is the one that is most likely causing the issue.

biggest joke is that the city is so overwhelmed with the new meters and techknowledgie, that they have only generated a bill up to jan 27. so they are 5 months behind

unless they revamp their software and warning system, every property will get postcards as automatic sprinklers are not always 100% tight. nor automatic pool fills. all it takes is 5 drops every 15 minutes and it will trip the meters electronics

here are a few shots of these new smart meters with radio transmitters and solar panels. the meter registers down to .001 cubic foot of water. that's 1 thousand's of 7.48 gallons.

billing is on a curve based on certain ranges.

rick.

45,437.471 cubic feet of water since oct 08.

0.000 current usage.

radio transmitter with power supply.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-10-2009, 01:22 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Smart water meter

What is it a warning for? Any penalties if you just ignore the annoying postcard?

Comment

And out Govt. want's to take over health care , Crap and trade, Auto Co's. Banks,Ect.
      We are in BIG TROUBLE !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        What is it a warning for? Any penalties if you just ignore the annoying postcard?
        basically it's a heads up you have a leak somewhere.

problem with this is that the usage was so minute that it's more of a false alarm and the chicken crying wolf

they made no mention of how little the usage was.

the property is large enough to use lots of water every billing period. the leak was small enough to fill a thimble overnight.

probably why the city hasn't sent out a water bill to their customers since january.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I'm surprised that anyone is allowed 14 irrigation zones in a desert community. Up here, we call that a farm.
          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Many California towns and cities (northern as well as Southern) like Beverly Hills are overrun with landscape contractors because of the ubiquity of estates like the one Rick's describing. They often compare favorably size wise to a large community garden.

Comment

That looks like a huge expense to get going and an even bigger one to maintain them. I see several water meter covers get run over and damaged or damaged in some other way a week. I also see water meters get busted (the glass face) quite frequently. that just looks like a headache to fix every time some idiot homeowner or renter messes one up.

Comment

Thanks Rick. I hypothesized and wondered if this would ever come.

Here, the most advanced thing we have is the "drive by" readers.

I think all utilities will go this way one day. Meter readers-gone-all reassigned, layed off or fired.

Also wondering when traditional land lines and the equipment associated with them will be gone.

Somewhere there's someone in a little room with a calculator figuring a way to get rid of some people, their salaries, benefits & the maintenance associated with them.

J.C.

Comment

I have one for you. I received a letter from my water utility wanting to know why I had not used any water for the last 3 months. I am retired and was not at home during those 3 months. They even wanted to know what days of the month I estimated that I would be home.

Comment

Originally posted by engineer View Post
                    I have one for you. I received a letter from my water utility wanting to know why I had not used any water for the last 3 months. I am retired and was not at home during those 3 months. They even wanted to know what days of the month I estimated that I would be home.
                    got even a better one for you.

my shop has a meter that is electronic read for the power and water. they've replaced the meter twice thinking it was broken as i don't use enough water in a month to even create a water bill beyond the basic service charges. yet my neighbir who details cars and uses hundreds of gallons a day has been estimated bills for over 6 months as his meter is broken and yet they come out to replace mine. he even tells them that when they come by to read it too.

a complete joke with the water company out here.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      And out Govt. want's to take over health care , Crap and trade, Auto Co's. Banks,Ect.
                      We are in BIG TROUBLE !
                      Government didn't make those meters and they are probably using them according to the manufacturers recommendations.

Comment

I Dump the water from the dehumidifier into the Toilet at the office to Flush it ! illegal as hell LOL

I mantain some apartments and the owner wants me to take showers there ... so I Do 'cause I squeege and Sham Wow The Shower walls for them ...

I got some lowww Water Bills LOL
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Soapm View Post
                          Government didn't make those meters and they are probably using them according to the manufacturers recommendations.
                          How long have You been getting a gov't check?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Sounds like paranoia with the Water departments. They figure you are tampering with the meters if you don't use enough water.

Comment

actually it will have a lot of advantages once they work out the glitches.

the billing has been delayed for a few reasons.

the frequency they were using to transmit was bleeding over to a local cab co. and causing interference on both sides.

they sent out post cards to approx 10% of all their users. problem is it only mentioned water was being used on a regular basis and not a real measurement of consumption. so the customer thought major leak, when it turned out to be a drip.

they will not be laying off their meter readers they told me. but they will also start to bill every month.

the batteries should last a reported 10 years.

should be interesting as this new technology gets fully implemented.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X