PLUMBING FRANCHISE: Drain Rescue or Mr. Rooter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PLUMBING FRANCHISE: Drain Rescue or Mr. Rooter

I work for a mr. rooter franchise. I figure our target is 100 dollars an hour because that's what I need to make a commission. I get paid hourly or commission; whichever is higher. The 100 dollars an hour includes fittings and whatnot. Large items such as toilets are taken out. You don't have to charge exactly what it says in the book.

I believe the system overall is good. The prices could use some work in my opinion, but you do have higher overhead costs with the franchise fees and whatnot.

I think it would be a good thing to at least have the rooter part in your company name. We get a lot of calls from people who think we're rotor rooter. There isn't even a rotor rooter in this area lol.

If I were you I would just work at a mr. rooter or ben franklin or whatever for a while and use whatever you like about their system. Call yourself Drain Rooter or something I dunno. I have noticed there are a lot of companies in my area that used to be franchises that have changed a small part of their name and continued on with their business just fine. Theres Rainbo cleaning (rainbow..), RM Appliance instead of Mr Appliance. That's where my name comes from, Mr. Ooter :-D.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

The Mr. Rooter in our area calculates to about $300.00 per hour.

Comment

$300.00 an hour

well dh isn't it the land of milk and honey? aren't the streets paved with gold? isn't every one a millionaire? yada yada yada. breid

Comment

I think everyone is very differnt i their needs and abilities and you have to do what is right for you. It is very easy to bag on the franchise companies. I have been involved on both sides. I found for myself it works better to not be a part of a franchise. However their is good to being part of one if you actually become a active part of their systems. Just because one franchise used bad tactics in sales does not mean they all do that.

I meet some great people who are still friends being part of a franchise. I have not been part of that group for 12 years and am very happy being a small enterprise with no other strings attatched. Do I go away every year and meet up with other proffesionals now NO... Maybe when the trade show gets the hell out of louisville and goes back to nashville!!!!

Comment

Waytay,
            you have to get rid of that avatar!
            I didn't hear a word you said because I was dreaming of being arrested!!!!
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Why would you want to be a "Pimped Plumber"
              That's are these Franchise deals are is getting a pimp...

Ya go out and have to sell your work at higher prices just so you can scrape out a living while your pimp beats you up and takes the money...

No Thanks!

411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

SEO = search engine optimizer and your from India. I smell a spam sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  SEO = search engine optimizer and your from India. I smell a spam sandwich.
                  I get tons of e-mails from my contact us page on my websites from SEO people and companies. I just reply to them, thank you for contacting us using our contact us page that you found with ease. You just proved to me we do not need your SEO services at this time or any time in the future, since you seem to have been able to find our web site with out any issues.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

[QUOTE=Redwood;242697]Why would you want to be a "Pimped Plumber"
                    That's are these Franchise deals are is getting a pimp...

Ya go out and have to sell your work at higher prices just so you can scrape out a living while your pimp beats you up and takes the money...

pimpin aint easy !

Comment

If I wanted to open a restaurant, I would consider a McDonalds franchise. There is no way I would call a franchise plumbing outfit; the guy that shows up at your door may have been mowing lawns the week before. If I need a plumber, electrician or other skilled labor, I will choose one by word of mouth from friends, family, or co-workers. If you have been a plumber for some time and the quality of your work is good, you already have a customer base. Stop by the home of anyone you have performed work for in the past and politely explain to them that you are setting out on your own and would appreciate the opportunity to help them with any future plumbing needs. Give them a business card and go from there. If they were pleased with your past work, they will call you.

Comment

The Franchise That Dare Not Speak Its Name (TFTDNPIN, for short) let slip one of their monthly reports. (Okay, I stole it. That doesn't alter the facts.) The top guy, doing service work averaged... I will repeat, AVERAGED $1450.00 per service call. (And this was twelve years ago!) Across the board. Let that one sink in. If you go out on a simple call, one that only requires a half hour of your time, including paperwork and schmoozing, that means that the NEXT guy will really have to come up with something spectacular. Again, this isn't contract work, nothing big, just service. Snake calls, drippy faucets, the odd water heater. Anyone else out there averaged a grand and a half, every single job? (You do have to "feed the monkey" when you own a franchise, so there's that to consider. Monkey cares little if you have an "off month," that check's still due.)

Here's the biggest beef I have with franchises: The guy at the helm doesn't rip people off. Of course he doesn't, he has his GUYS do it. If I post all the sales on a big dry erase board on the wall, and every day I praise the guy with the biggest number, you think I am praising, and promoting, the best plumber? The best drain guy? The best service tech? Or is he merely the guy who used to sell a bunch of shoes, or tires, or bibles, and now he's selling "plumbing?"

I do believe that the Golden Rule works, and it works every stinking time.

Comment

Almost without fail franchise operators are crooks. They will let people rip off customers and then they'll rip off their own employees. "Mr. Ripoff" franchisees pay very near 500 dollars a week minimum (more if they rip off a lot of people!) to "Mr. Ripoff" corporate HQ for very little support. That's 2 grand a month!!! I would rather that be in my pocket if I were a business owner.

It sounds great but once people figure out they're being charged 130+ dollars per hour when the highest charging union shop is 89 an hour they will head elsewhere. Why pay more to get an inexperienced technician with 6 months or less training when you can pay less and get someone with some real training and experience?

Comment

Remember folks, there is always easier/more money in selling the dream than doing the work.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
                              Almost without fail franchise operators are crooks. They will let people rip off customers and then they'll rip off their own employees. "Mr. Ripoff" franchisees pay very near 500 dollars a week minimum (more if they rip off a lot of people!) to "Mr. Ripoff" corporate HQ for very little support. That's 2 grand a month!!! I would rather that be in my pocket if I were a business owner.

It sounds great but once people figure out they're being charged 130+ dollars per hour when the highest charging union shop is 89 an hour they will head elsewhere. Why pay more to get an inexperienced technician with 6 months or less training when you can pay less and get someone with some real training and experience?
                              What makes you think that just because a shop is union that they are more deserve to get paid more than non union??? And just like franchise owners need to pay the corporate office, union shops need to pay the union so either way it goes someone has their hand in your pocket. Not only that $89 dollars an hour is more likely for new construction not service. Service plumbing cost more.

Comment

Originally posted by Western Reserve View Post
                                The Franchise That Dare Not Speak Its Name (TFTDNPIN, for short) let slip one of their monthly reports. (Okay, I stole it. That doesn't alter the facts.) The top guy, doing service work averaged... I will repeat, AVERAGED $1450.00 per service call. (And this was twelve years ago!) Across the board. Let that one sink in. If you go out on a simple call, one that only requires a half hour of your time, including paperwork and schmoozing, that means that the NEXT guy will really have to come up with something spectacular. Again, this isn't contract work, nothing big, just service. Snake calls, drippy faucets, the odd water heater. Anyone else out there averaged a grand and a half, every single job? (You do have to "feed the monkey" when you own a franchise, so there's that to consider. Monkey cares little if you have an "off month," that check's still due.)

Here's the biggest beef I have with franchises: The guy at the helm doesn't rip people off. Of course he doesn't, he has his GUYS do it. If I post all the sales on a big dry erase board on the wall, and every day I praise the guy with the biggest number, you think I am praising, and promoting, the best plumber? The best drain guy? The best service tech? Or is he merely the guy who used to sell a bunch of shoes, or tires, or bibles, and now he's selling "plumbing?"

I do believe that the Golden Rule works, and it works every stinking time.
                                The 1,450 per service call doesn't surprise me at all. Back when I was an apprentice my father in law used to tell me stories about the campany he used to be a service manager for. He said that the owner used to charge $650 to put in a p trap . Now thats a rip off. He said the guy made 3.5 million in his first 2 years in business and this was like 15 years ago. The guy is out of business now because he lost his license for sexually harassing his wife who was also his secretary or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X