X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is nutz

Got a call this morning from a local beverage dispensing establishment, owner informed me the toilet was broke last night and could I get to it today.

I show up and this is what I found...
    sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Re: This is nutz

some of the other things that have been keeping me busy...

I do love my job...
    sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

hard to say, but i see nothing wrong with this unless that's pvc on the t&p.

out here in quakeland. this is not only the standard, but pretty much the requirement. of course i would use brass nipples and not gal.

venting is screwed and secured

of course i can't see if there are upper and lower seismic straps and a flex on the gas

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I understand the need for that kind of thing in quakeland, but the part of me that likes clean lines and hardpipe still kind of shundders when I see it.

we have guys that use those water heater flexs with pex barbs on one end. it makes me want to cry.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The last time I saw a toilet look like this, I had just tossed a M-80 in it

Remember, ALWAYS check the seat before you sit down

Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

there is a bar i seem to get a late night phone call from 2 times a year. typically it's a brawl that ends up with a broken toilet, urinal or a wall hung lav that's not wall hung anymore.

what held the tank up is amazing.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

hard to say, but i see nothing wrong with this unless that's pvc on the t&p.

out here in quakeland. this is not only the standard, but pretty much the requirement. of course i would use brass nipples and not gal.

venting is screwed and secured

of course i can't see if there are upper and lower seismic straps and a flex on the gas

rick.
              C'mon Rick, look a bit harder, I was called out to this because of insufficient hot water, some bone head piped the cold supply into the relief opening and vise-versa.

The picture is facing the front of the unit.

Took me a few minutes to realize what I was looking at.
              sigpic
              www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

I hope you sold them a new w.h....
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                  I hope you sold them a new w.h....
                  nope, those are the tactics that my competitors are using, which is why they are starting to languish behind as I am steadily doing more work each month, at the end of this month I will actually have a phone book ad, 9 months without the phone book and gaining ground each and every month.
                  sigpic
                  www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

I replaced a toilet at a restaurant once that looked like that. One of the employees had tried to put a new lid on it and used a hammer lol,. Needless to say that didn't work to well.

Comment

Originally posted by U&I Plumber View Post
                      nope, those are the tactics that my competitors are using, which is why they are starting to languish behind as I am steadily doing more work each month, at the end of this month I will actually have a phone book ad, 9 months without the phone book and gaining ground each and every month.
                      That wh looks old....10 years old?

The customer paid you to correct the mistake and very soon will pay again to replace it. I would have replaced it and saved the customer money in the short run.

Did you replace the toilet bowl and re-use the tank?

Besides, I do this thing to make money. I haven't raised prices since 2007 when the problems started, but I do this to make money. If I'm not making money, I may as well be a full time forum bum.

Comment

I believe there is a vent issue also on that water heater. In my area you cannot run dual wall pipe straight to the flue, you need vent connector pipe in between and you are not able to screw dual wall toghether.

That is a dual wall fitting coming off the flue correct??
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I was called to fix the problem and so I did, plenty of hot water avaliable now.

I'm in this to make money also, but I am not about to sacrifice my morals to make a buck on an un-informed owner, that is just wrong and why we as a nation are in dire straights today, to many used car salesmen screwing with our trade. If the tank is not leaking there is no reason to replace, period.

In an area the size I service, high pressure sales types don't last long in the service game, they are rooted out and exposed for what they are and slowly die away.

The ONLY time I push to replace a water heater that is not leaking from the tank is when I find the old square bolt pattern elements.

as far as the venting is concerned it is the domain of the tinner, not my call.
                          sigpic
                          www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

That vent 90 looks single wall, but with the piece of paper on it, its hard to tell. I'm not good with internet photos. You did remove the paper?

People expect to spend money when they call a plumber. I bet that your customer fully expected to get a new, high efficiency water heater and all they got was a repair on a piece of crap American that probably knocks as loud as a New Orleans SWAT team on a Saturday night.

I'm not a handyman and my training, years of experience, licenses, and attitude reflects it.

Comment

i noticed it still has a "water" seal. the tank is amazing also. breid

Comment

Working...
                              X