Unsolved "water Leak"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolved "water Leak"

62,000 gallons unaccounted for ! in 1 month Old Couple 1500 Sq ft House ...

Got a call Today Manufactured Home Looked Everywhere Crawled underneath ...

Meter NOT moving No trace of a Leak Thier landscaping less Green than the Neighbors ...

No water softner T&P not leaking Not a Trace

I Said Got to be :

1. The Neighbor is Stealing water

2. You forgot and Left the drip system on (manual)

3. A flapper Stuck

The Customer Says it is "meter Jump" never Heard of It ....

Dave

Re: Unsolved "water Leak"

How old is the meter?

Was it an error in the readings taken (either the past or most recent)

Take a reading every hour, what is the rate of consumption?

62K/30/24 = 86.111 GPH or just a bit less than 1.5 GPM which is a serious "leak".

But a one digit error in reading the meter could account for the usage, depending on the position of the misread digit of course.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I can't remember the scenerio, but a couple of years ago, a buddy built a new house. His water bills were out of sight. Around 300/ mo IIRC. I didn't plumb the house but I agreed to meet the water co there. They kept saying the meter was fine. We filled 4, five gallon buckets and the math on the meter worked out to something like 100 gallons.

New meter, no more problems.

Comment

When I lived in Florida we got a water bill for 45,000 gallons. During the time covered by the bill, we were out of town on vacation. We appealed the bill and got it reduced by quite a bit and we never found out what happened to the water. But we sure have our suspicions. The neighbors had their pool liner replaced during that time.
        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

The neighbors had their pool liner replaced during that time.
          Before I even finished reading your post that was my first thought.

Nice neighbors huh?

I'd give them another 45K gallons the next time they go on vacation, but put it in their basement.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
          X