Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symmons tub and shower valve

hey guys
    I've run into a bunch of symmons S-96-2 tub and shower valves that pour water out the tub spout when in diverter set onto shower.
    I know symmons valves trickle water out the tub spout when in shower mode normally ( this is how there designed to work) but the ones I've bumped into have more going to the spout than the shower head.
    I replace the diverter and use a fitting brush to clean out the chamber and then flush it out. grease up the new diverter, and try it ...same problem... I've run them all without the trim in case the trim ( dome) was not allowing the diveter to swing all the way.... I've also taken off the shower head to see if there was a back pressure problem??? I don't get it I have to put a diverter tub spout on to stop the waste of water.....
    I just can't believe the chamber wears away and allows water to pass by ???
    I've rebuilt hundreds of these valves and never had a problem so 5 or 6 out of the thousands of valves I've seen is not bad.... but still why are some doing this?

anyone have a clue what's going on?
    I know this is mostly a Massachusetts thing ,every house build from the 70's to now had to have a balancing spindle and the only one aproved in mass was the symmons.... so every house has one.

thanks in advance for the help guys we really have a bunch of clever guys here.

Steve
    Last edited by Any Small Job Plumbing; 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM.

Re: Symmons tub and shower valve

Call Symmons. They goofed on a large batch of TA-10 spindles before( the scuttlebutt was a draftsman was pissed about making the spindles out of the country so he redrew the spindles to screw up(pun) from the offshore factory) . They could easily goof on a batch of diverters if they outsource them.

Comment

thanks myakka

but I go to a call where the customer says more water comes out the tub spout than the shower head... I change the 10 - 20 year old diverter and it still happens...

I also change symmons diverters all the time ( a couple a month) and never have a problem... so I don't think it's the batch of diverters I have.... this is been going on for about 6 months

but good thought
      I'll give Symmons a call
      thanks

Comment

Right diverter? I know-dumb question. But sometimes parts look similar and fit.

Just asking as I have very little experience in my area.

The diverter worked fine for 20 years, then began to leak, and the new one behaves in the same way? Correct?

I'll have to look at a schematic. Maybe it's related to the main valve internals.

Hmmm.... Thinking.

J.C.

Comment

...scuttlebutt was a draftsman was pissed about making the spindles out of the country...
          That man deserves a medal.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If I'm looking at the right drawing, they do list a T-23A and T-24B Diverter Spindle.

I do NOT have experience with them. Are they interchangeable?

J.C.

Comment

there are two diverters one for showers ...those are black .......

and one for tub and shower those are white.

I'm using the right one.

the one's that were in there for 20 years.... I don't think it just started having the problem but got worse over the years.... but I just can't believe the cast brass body wears down enough to let water flow by... these bodies look fine when you look into them with a flashlight and the diverter fits tight.... it's got to be the main body of the valve ( diverter chamber ) that wears and becomes larger.... just hard to believe what water can do... if that is what's happening.

thanks for all the thoughts.

Steve

Comment

Please post what you do find when you correct this. I'd be interested to know.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Strange problem, being from Mass myself I too work on a lot of symmons and never had this issue. Clean it out, new diverter, lube, and that always takes care of it. There's no way a plastic diverter is gonna wear out a brass shr valve. Maybe turning the diverter with a screwdriver with valve on to make sure the diverter handle is doing it's job? Let us know what you find.

Comment

I called Symmons today.
                    asked about the problem and the tech guy told me he had heard the question before but couldn't imagine why it was happening other than the valve body wearing away.

I've only had maybe half a dozen doing this... i've rebuilt thousands of them. so I guess we'll chalk it up to the body wearing...

but thanks everyone for the idea's

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X