The unemployed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The unemployed

I have a question for you guys. Do you knock a little off your bill if someone just lost their job and has a water leak that will cause damage if not fixed soon and they can't afford to pay for? I qouted the repair for $200.00 and the lady said she was going to have to get another estimate. I will have to admit, I am a little gullable to these type things.

Re: The unemployed

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
    I have a question for you guys. Do you knock a little off your bill if someone just lost their job and has a water leak that will cause damage if not fixed soon and they can't afford to pay for? I qouted the repair for $200.00 and the lady said she was going to have to get another estimate. I will have to admit, I am a little gullable to these type things.
    If it is going to cause imminent damage can't they turn off the main shut off?

Comment

Once you start getting involved in your customers personal problems you become a marked man.

Keep it up and you will become the unemployed

Comment

You have to make a living, thats why you are in business. It's unfortunate, but if you get involved like that, you won't be able to stay in business for long. charge them a Fair rate, if you want to offer a discount, go for it. But don't forget that your bills come due just like theirs.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Yes I do I always pick my mark whether there not so well off or a pensioner its called PR and it will come back one day in your fovour.

Tony

Comment

i've been known to work for cookies

you don't want to necessarly give it away. but you can help them out by deferring the bill over a few month period. netting it out to cover your actual time.

the customers appreciates when you ask them if you need to hold the check.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I've given breaks and taken payments.Not too frequently.
              Sometimes it's more like a gut feeling.
              I'm cautious of scammers.

Comment

I failed to mention that this was from a referal, if that makes any difference.

Comment

yes i have, but as stated no one wants to be conned,one elderly customer years back cleaned their sewer gave a price upfront and finished went to collect and it seems they were short the funds so husband ran to trade in some bottle deposits to come up with the difference and as i waited in the kitchen i noticed cans of dog food in the cupboard and realized they did not own a dog also there was very little of anything in the house,yes peoples problems are not your problem and we are all in business to make money, but sometimes a little pro bono work is good for the soul. and in this case i refused payment and walked away without a second thought, and felt alright.

Comment

X2 On Dirty Hands ....

It's The rich Pricques that Piss Me off !!!

I Sometimes Will Do A Quick Polybutylene Repair for a Widow ...

Dave

Comment

This is a bit winded but bear with me.

When I was in business the first time I got a call from a lady 50 or so miles away, wide spot in the road, she had a smell issue. Single mother raising a 13yr old daughter.

I showed up with my help and asked the usual questions, she just had a remodle done in the bathroom and kitchen, all her tax money.

I sent my help under the house to tell me what he seen, he came back white faced an scared, sewage lake 25' across to the toilet. A pumper outfit had come out and ran a rod down from the roof and knocked the plug off of a san-t on its back picking up the toilet.

I pulled her toilet took my skill saw and cut a hole around the flange and repaired the problem, re-set the flooring and the toilet.

That lady paid me $10 a month untill her bill was paid.

Each situation is different.
                      Last edited by U&I Plumber; 07-16-2009, 08:30 PM.
                      sigpic
                      www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Yes,Sometimes.
                        Kenneth Collier
                        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                        Jackson, MS 39206
                        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

New customer - No more than 10% off - Unfortunately there are way more scammers than people with legit problems. I tell them call the $39.95 guy in the newspaper.

I will work with repeat customers, however one regular owes me $150 from last December. When I say pay me in installments he says I'd rather pay it all at once. I dont expect to ever see the money. So he's even ruining it for my repeats.

I run a for profit organization.

The problem with giving in to these situations is these people will recommend you to all their friends who also cant afford to pay for work and tell them about the deal they got. Next thing you know you'll be spending your days arguing over how long you were on the job or if this cracked ptrap really needs to be changed and working for pocket change.

plumberscrack's got it right "Keep it up and you will become the unemployed"

Comment

I'd be really p!$$ed if I lowered my price to $175 and it turned into a $300 repair.

That type of thing has happened to me before.

And my charity work didnt necessarily result in more work.

They move on to the next cheapest guy.

Comment

Funny you bring this up! A repeat customer called about her busted hose bib. She mentioned if I could come down when I have other business in the area to save her money. She needs a break...she said it right out loud. I have dealt with her a couple times. I will give a break. Mainly because she always calls me, and is a nice lady!

Comment

Working...
                              X