Help me find a new hose bib.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a new hose bib.

I've had it with the mansfield brand. Yesterday the new ones I installed required a vaccum breaker and the other one the white nut replaced. I put a new stem in an older one today, and instead of leaking from the handle, it dripped. I also went on a call today for one I installed last year. Lady said no water comes out. She was right, I pulled the stem and the washers were coming loose at the end. Tightened the screw.

What brand to go with?

Re: Help me find a new hose bib.

I like the Nibco frost proof, Moen, and Arrowhead brands.

Comment

woodford. breid

Comment

Legend 1/4 turn with ceramic discs.

Comment

Woodford..

Comment

I went ahead and installed a legend today. Seemed well built. Now I have to return four Mansfields!

Comment

I stick with Woodford. I can get parts. They have freeze protection, stainless seats.

Odd you'd bring this up - I just got two calls involving hydrants to be replaced.

Comment

Add me to the Woodford bunch!
                Although I install quite a few Moen H/C's at houses near the ocean.

They are a good work around for the legal issues of a beach shower.

All these people want is a tempered shower to rinse the sand off before going in the house. They will never buy a full on pressure balanced shower with a proper drain. This is a case where the law sends the work directly to the handyman and DIYer. So I get the work by installing a H/C frostproof hosebibb and I walk away.
                411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Woodford, nibco, legend here. Most importantly NEVER proflo. We do not have frost issues here therefor the choices are pretty open to us.

Comment

Well I decided to try the Legend brand. Guess what??? They have a design flaw. When you turn the handle off and on, the handle loosens the screw, so the handle falls off!!!! Thankfully I have only put one in!

I bought a Woodford. So we will see how this one works out. It so happens the Legend replaced the POS Mansfield. So guess what? I may have to go and tear out the Legend...

I am losing my A$$!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                      Well I decided to try the Legend brand. Guess what??? They have a design flaw. When you turn the handle off and on, the handle loosens the screw, so the handle falls off!!!! Thankfully I have only put one in!

I bought a Woodford. So we will see how this one works out. It so happens the Legend replaced the POS Mansfield. So guess what? I may have to go and tear out the Legend...

I am losing my A$$!
                      I have been installing the Legend 1/4 turn exclusively for 2 years. Probably 50 so far. Never had a problem. I usually take the handle off so the mounting screws go into the wall square. Never had a complaint with one loosening up. Get some PURPLE "loctite" (works great, and screw can be removed in the future.) That will hold it.

Comment

After the complaint from the homeowner, I pulled all four that I had in stock. I started turing the handles back and forth...the screw is actually turned by the handle! Thats how it comes undone. As far as locktight, I am sure that will work. But why should I have to Rube Goldberg a new hosebib?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                          After the complaint from the homeowner, I pulled all four that I had in stock. I started turing the handles back and forth...the screw is actually turned by the handle! Thats how it comes undone. As far as locktight, I am sure that will work. But why should I have to Rube Goldberg a new hosebib?
                          I am pretty sure that the handle has a square index, and the stem fits into it snugly. I have 5 on the truck. (4,6,8,10,12 inch) I'll go check 'em out and get back to you. As far as the loctite, I dont think that it is Goldberg at all. It works tremendously well in a situation like this. $5.00 tube, problem solved. Will surely help you to not lose your ......

Comment

I just looked at all 5 on the truck. Every single one, the screw securing the knob to the shaft was barely snug. . The handle does have a little play where it fits onto the square stem. I never noticed it before, as I always take the handle off to get it out of the way, so the mounting screws go in straight. I think if you just tighten up the screw, you'll be fine. I have never had a complaint in 2 years, and I've installed alot of them. Matter of fact, many times customers call me and ask me to come back and change all of the other bibbs at their house, they like the legend that much.

I can tell you that every single one, in the last 2 years, I have had to snug up the chrome cap that covers the vacuum breaker. Why cant the dam manufacturer just tighten the stuff up like they are supposed to?

Comment

I used a legend about 4 years ago when they 1st came out with the disc.

The valve itself was bigger than the old frost proof that i took out. I

Had to ream the hole a c-hair bigger. Once it was Installed the damn

Thing had a dip. It would not shut off all the way. i have NEVER used

one Since!! maybe i just had bad luck with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X