Help me find a new hose bib.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me find a new hose bib.

I've had 1 defective Legend out of hundreds. I like them.
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

i went on a service call today, leaking hose bib. Well low and behold...legend hose bib. Maybe five years old, leaking. Felt the handle, loose. Checked the one around the front, loose as well. I cut it ut and installed a Woodford. We will see how those do.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
        i went on a service call today, leaking hose bib. Well low and behold...legend hose bib. Maybe five years old, leaking. Felt the handle, loose. Checked the one around the front, loose as well. I cut it ut and installed a Woodford. We will see how those do.
        After 5 years, that's not bad. Do you want faucets that never need repair?
        (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
          Let us know how you like the Woodford. I was also using the Mansfield/Prier brand and I agree they are junk. The plastic handles split real easy.

Comment

I like the woodford with the metal handles use to use the mansfield but I got tired of all the call backs
            The legend are good to but a little more expensive than the woodfords

Comment

I like the 25 year old solid brass ones that came with my house. Metal handle that stays tight, and when they leaked they were repaired for under a dollar with a new washer and packing. I realize plumbers have to make a buck, but a hose bib that is shot in 5 years use is criminal, unless it is in a restaurant mop bucket area or another industrial high use area. Especially when the manufacturing cost difference between crap and good is probably a buck or two. I am going to have to replace one of mine due to a frozen set screw in the addon backflow preventer tearing the threads off of it, so I hope I can find an old fashioned one. I guess I have gotten spoiled, as my home is completely outfitted with the original builders grade faucets/shower valves/ballcocks and they all work great with no leaks or drips in the 6 years that I have owned the home.

Comment

I was back at this customers house on an unrelated call. She asked me if it was normal to see frozen water coming from the Legend I installed...I went to turn it on and no water comes out! Slowly a trickle begins. I heat it with a torch to make sure its not froze. No luck! I cut it out and sweat in a Woodford. I dissected it and cant figure why it would not work. I am at a loss (finacially and mentally).

Crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                  I've had 1 defective Legend out of hundreds. I like them.
                  I've installed alot of legends too, and never had a problem. I always remove the whole stem before I install it, for soldering purposes, and better access to fastener holes. I automatically tighten the screw on handle, because I am use to having to do what the manufacturers should have done in the 1st place.
                  More times than not, after I install a legend, the customer wants them all changed, because they like it so well.
                  Another thing that ticks me off about manufacturers, is not tightening up the packing nut enough, on the handle of ball valves. This causes them to drip out of the bonnets. This requires removing the nut that holds the handle on, then removing the handle, then tighten the packing nut, then reinstall handle and nut. And most of the ball valves seem to be like that. I just have gotten in the habit of doing it to every valve I install. Can't afford a call back.
                  Last edited by Don the plumber; 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Woodford is the best, by me. Made right here in Colorado by the Woodford family. Arrowhead Brass is the next best.
                    I can't stand the Mansfield .
                    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Wolverine
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                        Woodford is the best, by me. Made right here in Colorado by the Woodford family. Arrowhead Brass is the next best.
                        I can't stand the Mansfield .
                        Everyone has their favorite one. Well all of you are wrong.
                        No just kidding. I would like to see a picture of the woodford you guys are using, or the model you prefer, so I can look it up, and try one. Woodfords are well known around here but not very popular, as far as I know.
                        Also I installed a Moen combination Hot & cold hose bibb a few weeks ago & it was very impressive. Single pull out handle, turn right & left for H & C, and has integral vac. breaker. Also available in different lenghts.
                        Your right, Mansfield sucks.

Comment

sorry if this is a repeat...but, Mansfield got bought out by another company a couple years ago and moved the manufacturing overseas I think. Never the same since.

Arrowhead and Legend can be had at hardware stores...and the quality is iffy at best.

Woodford is the most in my experience. Giving a a homeowner a Woodford is akin to installing a Chicago kitchen sink faucet over a Moen or Delta. A few bucks more, but far better quality product. Superior parts and quality. Woodford is built to commercial grade standards.

Wolverine is also very nice

Both essentially pro-only products.

That's my 2 cents

-Chris

Comment

I have been installing the model 25 that drains with the hose still hooked up!! They seem solid and more commercial grade. Twice what I pay for a standard frost free silcock but my hope is it will be impossible for the homeowner to crack it and can be rebuilt down the road.

Comment

I like Woodford for replacements but, Wolverine Brass 'Finale' for new installations. They're really heavy duty and one full turn is wide open. The only reason I do not use it for replacements is the shaft at the in is larger diameter than most of the hole sizes used for "normal" faucets.

Comment

Yea but if you have a cold windy night and the homeowner leaves the hose on after they turn it off it is going to split. The woodford 25 will be drained down. I guess something to keep in mind . I wish I had known about the 25 before.

Comment

Working...
                                X