X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long...

Do you guys wait to pressure test pvc or cpvc after glueing. I use Oatey cpvc and rain or shine for pvc. The reason I ask I did a repair on a 2" backflow and waited 2 hours and it did not hold I redid and waited 4 hours and it was fine. Thanks Paul
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: How Long...

The only time that I had a leak after waiting two hours was when I mistakenly used the Oatey gold colored can glue on 4"....yeah a big mistake!! Did you prime your joints? There might be high water psi in that line and that's why you had to wait for it to cure longer, but all of the cans that I have seen say 2 hours and we all know they usually overdue it with the times. Maybe old glue?

Comment

For me on the cold water line it is usually 1 hour for 1 inch or less, and on hot water it is minimum of 2 hours. If you could let it sit for 24 hours that would be better, but that is not always the case.

By the way, just started using cpvc.

Comment

A trick I learned when pressure testing pvc sanitary is, if you get a leak on a glue joint (which you will). Use a Hot glue gun and swipe it on the out side of the joint! it works every time and inspectors cant tell because it is clear! (A local city inspector told me that trick)

Comment

I use cpvc glue with cpvc pipe and have turned water on in 15 minutes.

Comment

I usually wait 15 minutes and turn the water back on. D##nn seldom do I have a leak.(once every 4or 5 yrs.)

Comment

My guys refuse to use Oatey Wet-Dry. They complained of leaks, so I've switched to Weld-On or Harvey's. I try to hold off far at least 30 minutes.

Comment

Working...
              X