X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cap plumbing vent ok?

is it ok to cap the top of a plumbing vent? mine is clogged up tight. dirt, leaves, etc. little helocopters from our maple tree. i will be running an auger through tomorrow and unclogging it, i want to cap it with a chimney cap to allow the gas to escape without allowing schmutz to get back into it? or am i better off using screen??
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

A screen would keep most foreign material out and allow more air in than a cap. The main purpose of the vent pipe is to let air into the drainage pipes.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

so the screen is the way to go? this is a secondary vent, only has the kitchen sink and laundry tub on it.

Comment

whats the disadvantage/why is it wrong to put a "chimney cap" on the vent. a cap that allows air flow but prevents things from clogging it up?

thanks

Comment

I think the cap may be against code we use screens also I will look this up The vent is there for a reason to allow air to get to the drainage pipes I will check onn this but I am almost certain you cannot not use any kind of cap on a vent.

Comment

I read about your problem. I recommend you installing (3) 45 degree fittings on top of the vent. The reason for the 45 degree fitings and not a 90 degree fittings is less restriction from a short radius like a 90 degree fitting. The three 45 degree fittings will allow just enough of a curve to not allow anything to go in the vent stack. This will allow still proper venting to maintain atmospheric pressure in the plumbing system and to allow proper drainage. We do it all the time for venting oil interceptors why not vents for plumbing stacks. There is nothing in the code that says you cant do that. it will still be a open pipe to the outside. Good luck

Comment

I totally agree with the lat poster we are going to be venting several haouses thids year and will be doing this we are still doing a preschool.

Comment

Working...
              X