X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shower stall replacement

hey Guys, this is Glenn. Im new to this forum. I wrote up a "hello" to everyone, if you care to view it heres the link: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27129

I am currently trying to replace an old shower stall. I actually installed the one that is getting replaced about 3 years ago. apprearently the tenants were heavy people as they cracked the flooring of the shower and the hub drain area too. the shower is the fiberglass piece together type that Lowes sells. is there an existing thread here that would show/tell me what I should do for the flooring to make sure that weight is never a factor anymore. should I put sand under there? concrete maybe? I can post pics tomorrow if needed. I did a search in the archives but came up with nothing. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Glenn

Re: shower stall replacement

I know Im a newbie but I was hoping someone might give me some advice. this seems like a straight forward question/answer. no comments on what I should do to brace the fiberglass pan? anyone... Glenn

Comment

Make sure the floor joists and subfloor are in good condition and perhaps reinforced beyond the norm.

A concrete bed underneath can provide a good foundation to prevent damage to fiberglass units. Some prefer placing plastic on the subfloor, putting down the concrete mix, covering the mix with plastic, then pushing or placing the fiberglass unit bottom into it. The plastic gives a barrier between the concrete to keep the mix from bonding to the unit and the subfloor. Makes it provide a good base that's removable later if necessary for the next remodel.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

What kind of flooring is beneath the pan?

Comment

thanks for the response Guys. beneath the fiberglass pan is just the concrete flooring. the hub extends upward from this concrete a few inches. this is a typical cookie cutter house in Florida. when I put the 1st fibreglass shower kit in there it had styrofoam strips attached to its bottom and the instructions said it should be suitable for existing conditions. when I installed the kit I personally walked and (gently) bounced around the pan to see if I heard any weird noises but it seemed secure. unfortunately the 2 ladies that were living there weighed a good 100 lbs more each than I do. (I weigh about 140) so I guess after time it just blew out. not to mention these ladies were special for each other so for all I know they spent time in the shower together. but thats another story I dont even care to think about. (they werent what movies are made about) so adding concrete is the way and not just sand? also, do I add the mixture so its level with the hub and the excess will spill out the sides to wipe up when the pan is pushed down? thanks, Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by all work & no play Glenn View Post
            thanks for the response Guys. beneath the fiberglass pan is just the concrete flooring. the hub extends upward from this concrete a few inches. this is a typical cookie cutter house in Florida. when I put the 1st fibreglass shower kit in there it had styrofoam strips attached to its bottom and the instructions said it should be suitable for existing conditions. when I installed the kit I personally walked and (gently) bounced around the pan to see if I heard any weird noises but it seemed secure. unfortunately the 2 ladies that were living there weighed a good 100 lbs more each than I do. (I weigh about 140) so I guess after time it just blew out. not to mention these ladies were special for each other so for all I know they spent time in the shower together. but thats another story I dont even care to think about. (they werent what movies are made about) so adding concrete is the way and not just sand? also, do I add the mixture so its level with the hub and the excess will spill out the sides to wipe up when the pan is pushed down? thanks, Glenn
            No disrespect intended at all but a longterm commercial construction guy should be able to accidentally figure this one out. It seems to me anyway.

Maybe you just want to make sure you do something right but I think you're overthinking some.

Just make sure the final level supports the floor.

J.C.

Comment

I hear ya J.C. and I am overthinking it. I just dont want another repeat performance on this down the road. I do a decent amount of work thru this land lord and I dont want Her to start to get pissed about repeat proceedures. I guess Im all set then. thanks again. Glenn

Comment

Working...
              X