Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OK, I've had enough

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    And that's fine I guess, but are your really doing either of them a service? You know as well as I do that the poor guy is going to go to all that trouble, only to do it all over again in a week or a couple months. Is it really better to waste the time, money and effort, or better to get it over with and make a perminant repair?
    I would say any of us who have crippled a truck or piece of equipment back together until after the next "big" job came along understands the value of a temporary repair. We sometime do a lot of things out of necessity which would not make sense unless it was necessary for survival.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 08-02-2009, 02:14 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      And that's fine I guess, but are your really doing either of them a service? You know as well as I do that the poor guy is going to go to all that trouble, only to do it all over again in a week or a couple months. Is it really better to waste the time, money and effort, or better to get it over with and make a perminant repair?
      The homeowner would probably prefer to change out the entire main line if it was within his means. But it sounds like it isn't right now. So they have to do a patch. Yeah, there is a risk that the job will be a disaster. But, wouldn't it be better to lend the benefit of your experience as a pro and improve his chance of success until he can afford the complete replacement?

This is exactly the kind of deal where a guy needs some technical advice. Anyone can write a check - that doesn't require a technical advice forum.

Sometimes life is not ideal. That's when help is needed.

Comment

The subject has pretty much run it's course but Is anyone really doing this guy a favor? While everyone struggles to properly spell "dresser coupling" just where is the OP supposed to get one, cause the Home Depot does not sell them. Then there's the issue of cutting out the bad section. Does he have a big enough pipe cutter? ( a hundred bucks or more) or a diamond wheel grinder ? (same price) or just use a hack saw or sawzall and disturb the rest of the rusty old pipe. Would any of you guys really recommend to one of your customers to go that route? Better yet would any of you guys repair your own leak that way? If someone called me with the same situation and had even dug the hole I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I would say any of us who have crippled a truck or piece of equipment back together until after the next "big" job came along understands the value of a temporary repair. We sometime do a lot of things out of necessity which would not make sense unless it was necessary for survival.

Mark

I know that feeling for sure, There has been many times I had to do what I had to do.

Good Point as well.
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

"Give it two aspirin and I'll be back in the morning"

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
              I think that Plumbing Supplies should be ONLY sold to people WITH LICENSES....Kinda like in the 80's when ONLY a auto mechanic or a/c guy could buy freon,

I think that making "plumbing supplies" Illegal TO buy without a license would fix the entire DIY problem.
              I thought i was the only one who felt this way I think certain things should not be able to be purchased by home owners and diy/handymen.
              Gas water heaters come to mind. Not sure if its code everywhere else, but here in Louisiana you're supposed to be a master plumber to change out a gas water heater. Perhaps even certain DWV fittings should not be sold to diy's as well. Say for instance some guys comes up to the checkout at lowes or HD with a cart full of 4" PVC and a buggy full of wyes, combos etc... Its obvious he's gonna be doing somthing he probably should not. Its my opinion these people should be asked for liscense and permits at checkout... but that's not gonna happen. Just my feelings on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun plumber View Post
                I thought i was the only one who felt this way I think certain things should not be able to be purchased by home owners and diy/handymen.
                Gas water heaters come to mind. Not sure if its code everywhere else, but here in Louisiana you're supposed to be a master plumber to change out a gas water heater. Perhaps even certain DWV fittings should not be sold to diy's as well. Say for instance some guys comes up to the checkout at lowes or HD with a cart full of 4" PVC and a buggy full of wyes, combos etc... Its obvious he's gonna be doing somthing he probably should not. Its my opinion these people should be asked for liscense and permits at checkout... but that's not gonna happen. Just my feelings on it.
                I agree, I think the plumbing section in a hardware store should sell only minor repair parts, that would solve a lot of problems, but in general I think killavolt hit the nail right on the head, if someone is going to do something anyways and they really want the advice of a professional it is kind of unfair to hold it back from them, and I'd rather help them than read about their misfortune. If your professional advice is "hire a professional" (which is always the advice of the OP for this thread.) then that's cool too.Everyone has a right to their own opinion. As someone mentioned on another thread, I agree with people working with a plumber to lower costs, for example an "I dig the trench you lay the pipe" situation. I have done that before, cut open drywall and broke concrete to expose piping for a plumber coming the next day.There are solutions to every problem, we just have to be creative enough to find them, whether we're homeowners or plumbers. Just my two cents!

Comment

HI all. OZplum you think it bad where you are here in RSA there to many non qualified plumbers or any trade i would say. These guys have no idea of any standards and argue the toss with you when you point it out with the owners. T/O i've also stopped helping the idiots that want everything for nothing either pay or get lost.
                  Regards Mike
                  Last edited by Oudtshoorn; 08-09-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I think that Plumbing Supplies should be ONLY sold to people WITH LICENSES....Kinda like in the 80's when ONLY a auto mechanic or a/c guy could buy freon,

So I guess it really just comes down to a whole "mix"

SO with that said,

I think that making "plumbing supplies" Illegal TO buy without a license would fix the entire DIY problem.
                    It seems to me that the problem with this is you (the government) can't force someone to hire a contractor to do something they are capable of doing themselves. A HO can build their own home, wire it and plumb it and do whatever else needs to be done to complete the project. They (government) can force the HO or DIY to build to code and to have the required inspections and such, but to have a license to work on their own home they can't do (yet, and I think it would be political suicide for anyone who tried). And that means that those materials will remain available to the HO or DIY. The one exception seems to be A/C because of the environmental concerns over freon.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X