X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hepatitis

I was doing a nasty sewer job and the maintance man on job ask me do u get your hepatitis shots? I never have but went in to a minute clinic today and got me Hepatitia A shot for 80 bucks he said thats the one that a plumber would get from other persons stooll. he told me the other hep a and hep c you can't get like that. I go back in 4 months for my second and final shot of it. Do you guys get all the shots? And didnt we all get them when we where born?
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Hepatitis

Are you sure it's a hepatitis A vaccine you just got? Hepatitis A isn't anywhere near as life threatening as B or C, and you are correct that we are supposed to be immunized against Hep A as children. Immunity against Hep A is supposedly life long, and will not require booster shots. Even if by some chance you were not immunized against Hep A as a child, you may have been exposed to it at some point, and developed a natural immunity.

Hepatitis B is the virus that causes greater harm, but ultimately is treatable in most cases. It is true that it is usually transmitted by direct contact of blood or body fluids, which is why health care professionals are required to be immunized against it. The vaccine also requires multiple administrations. Given what plumbers may be dealing with in sewer systems, and that medical waste doesn't always get disposed of properly, it's certainly not unreasonable for a plumber to get vaccinated.

Hepatitis C has no vaccine available that will provide immunity. It is the type of Hepatitis with the worst prognosis, there are very expensive treatments out there that can at best put it into remission, but it can relapse. There's more info on www.cdc.gov if you want to read more into it, but I suspect you had a Hep B vaccine and not A.

Comment

I have gotten the hep B series of shoots. Real easy that sucks because my arm was hurting like hell for 3 days. I got my start in health care has a maintenance man. There is mandatory to have your Hep B vacine. I was told by a nurse once that Hep B likes to hide under toilets and urinals. She said something to do with the moisture and stuff.

thanks wathman I found your information and link very useful

Comment

If blood is in the stool...then you can get ANYTHING!

Comment

I recall reading in one of my OSHA books that states we as plumbers / drain cleaners must get a hep A & B booster shots every 6 years. Which I have been doing for well over 20 years now. I will try to find the relevant information and post it here.

Found it. http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Bloo...s/bbfact05.pdf
          Last edited by SewerRatz; 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM. Reason: added OSHA link
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I jus got the Hep A shot, gotta go back in a few mos to get the second dose.

Comment

Make sure after you guys get your rounds of shots to go have your blood tested to make sure the levels are proper. You may need more than two shots and in some rare case people never gain immunity from the shots. I would also check I am only aware of the Hep B vaccine. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of care.

Comment

i got the hep b (i think) series of three shots less than ten years ago after taking a fresh out the pipe sewer blade to my lip.

Of course it was too little, too late for this incident but got it in case of future stabbings.

I dont know why i didnt get hep A shot. Maybe I should go for a boost.

I'm probably due for a tetanus shot also.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Both HEP A and B here.... I'm worth it

Comment

Some of the shots are a combo Hep A and B shot. Just ask you doc what he gave you. If I recall the Combo shot Hep A and B are in the first and second shots and the third is Hep B only.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The OSHA document SewerRatz linked to only discusses hepatitis B, no mention of A. Did a search on OSHA and didn't find any references to hep A, just more on B. On the CDC website, I found a few powerpoint presentations that discuss hep A that say there is no recommendation specifically for hep A immunization for plumbers and sewer workers.

Some general web searching led me to Iowa's Department of Health site that also say that there is no need to make routine immunization for hep A mandatory.

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/adper/hepatitis_a_virus.asp

I'm getting the impression that some state governments may be making additional requirements for the hep A vaccination despite the federal government's standpoint that it is not necessary, and other states are more in line with the national recommendations. Probably not worth it to investigate every state's standpoint on hep A vaccination policy.

Ultimately, being vaccinated for Hep A routinely isn't harmful. In the unlikely event that you do get exposed to Hep A while on the job, being vaccinated could save you from the unpleasant, and severe symptoms associated with Hep A. Since the Hep B vaccinations are required, you are getting stuck every 6 years anyway. The only consideration is the cost of the vaccine, not sure if you guys pay for this out of pocket, or if they are covered for you.

Comment

Our county health department got some kind of a grant last Fall, so I went in and got the combo Hep A & B treatment ("Twinrix") for free . One shot in Dec., one in Jan, one in June, that completes the series for both A & B. Some people, like Handybull, experience pain near the injection site, some get flu-like symptoms, but I had neither.

Also got the Tetanus booster for $40.

As Wathman said, no vaccine for C yet.

I got a MRSA (resistant staph) infection on the back of my left hand last November, looked like a spider bite or pimple, five days later I passed out in my Doc's waiting room. Six days in hospital, hand surgery to drain the pus from the by-then very swollen hand, three incisions, seven weeks of strong antibiotic infusions (2x 3 hrs daily) and $28 grand later, I have full function of the hand back -- but there's no vaccine for staph. Staph is everywhere, and any break in the skin can "let it in".

No, I have no idea where I got it. From my snow-shovel handle? Who knows? World is full of germs.
                        Last edited by asavage; 07-30-2009, 11:00 AM.
                        Regards,
                        Al S.

Comment

Most of you read my falling in a septic tanks story. Yes I have all my shots. I usually get a tetanus shot once every two or three years. NOT BY CHOICE!
                          Big guys are just not that graceful.

Comment

Originally posted by asavage View Post

As Wathman said, no vaccine for C yet.

I got a MRSA (resistant staph) infection on the back of my left hand last November, looked like a spider bite or pimple, five days later I passed out in my Doc's waiting room. Six days in hospital, hand surgery to drain the pus from the by-then very swollen hand, three incisions, seven weeks of strong antibiotic infusions (2x 3 hrs daily) and $28 grand later, I have full function of the hand back -- but there's no vaccine for staph. Staph is everywhere, and any break in the skin can "let it in".

No, I have no idea where I got it. From my snow-shovel handle? Who knows? World is full of germs.
                            There are several challenges to creating a hepatitis C vaccine, and we likely won't see one in our lifetimes. Breakthroughs in medicine can't really be predicted, so that may change what is on the horizon of current research. Found a short article on why there is no Hep C vaccine written in lay terms if any are interested.

http://hepatitis.about.com/od/preven...HCVvaccine.htm

As for MRSA, it is indeed everywhere. The regular type of staph. aureus lives on us as "normal skin flora" and actually help protect us and keep us healthy by occupying the surface area, making it much harder for bad strains of bacteria to get a foothold so to speak.

MRSA will usually lead to a bad case of cellulitis (skin bacterial infection) though in asavage's case, it sounds like it lead to bacterimia and sepsis (when the infection spreads to the blood and goes everywhere). Two years ago my uncle who was a healthy man nearing retirement age, became sick and acquired a MRSA infection. Despite 2 weeks of treatment on life support and major antibiotics, he did not make it. We got quite a bit off topic on hepatitis, but the general idea is to keep ourselves healthy. Stay current on preventative measures, and if you do come down with something, get checked out sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                            X