Sand in the water S.F.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand in the water S.F.

We use the new laundry tray in the Mech. ,Laundry room to wash up. I wash the sink often to keep thinks neat. The Wash Machine dumps into it. There is always some fine sand
    lining the sink. I also see this fine sand in the kitchen sink. Should I call the water Dept.?
    Add a whole house filter? Thank's in Advance ,Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Sand in the water S.F.

wash your hands outside of the house

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

service replaced recently..? the city is working on some water mains in the city right now..

Comment

Tool

For what this is worth why not install a simple whole house dirt catcher filter? Do be sure to setup a way to bypass it just in case things go wrong when trying to change the element inside. If you loose or rip the bowl gasket you'll be most thankful if you can bypass the filter.

Hint: Be sure to buy a few extra bowl gaskets, filter elements and a bowl wrench that fits well, for just in case.

Part 2: If you open up the cold valve wide open on your bathtub in the morning and blocking the drain do you have a mess in the tub? If yes, you may want to catch the water in a clean (really clean) 5 gallon pail and save it for testing.

Part 3: I didn't think my neighborhood had water quality issues until several of us (neighbors and myself) installed simple whole house filters. This was after finding plugged up aerators and more. You would not believe all the ***** they catch over a week. I have to change elements quite frequently and so do my neighbors. I'm getting ready to do a bypass for the outdoor hose bibs so they just run straight city water.

Part 4: Calls to our water company from several of us just resulted in their BSing away saying everything is fine and not to worry.

I wish you the best of luck, but anymore I think everyone should have a whole house basic crud catcher filter and know the basics of how and when to service it. Needless to say my YUPEE neighbors (some) can't even be bothered to check the oil or tire pressure on their cars. EEEK a

Note: Our water issue just started about 2 weeks ago. We have had rain, rain rain and more rain along with powerful T-storms.
        Last edited by Woussko; 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
          service replaced recently..? the city is working on some water mains in the city right now..
          No Service replacement. This has been going on at least 3 months
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would just put in a whole house filter as well,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              No Service replacement. This has been going on at least 3 months
              Somebody opened the main somewhere upstream of you to do some work (leak repair, hydrant replacement, new branch line, a hot tap, etc) and didn't do a proper flush -OR- there is a leak somewhere and water is being sucked into the main (venturi principle) and carried to your property. This would also be a health concern, as any contaminates in the ground water would be brought in with the water. Such a leak might be on your property only, or further upstream. See if your neighbors have the same problem, but just because they don't does not eliminate the possibility that the source is outside your property.

A whole house filter just treats the symptom, it will not cure the problem.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
              X