X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a drain question?

my kitchen sink currently has an 1.5 inch drain that drops down into the basement and ties into a drain under the slab. the only other thing that drains into this is a laundry tub which is currently where my washing machine and dishwasher drain into (long story on the dishwasher). anwyay i am planning on putting in a new kitchen sink and counter complete with a garbage disposal, but i am being told that if i keep the inch and a half drain i am going to have problems. i need at least a 2" drain? i dont have a problem with that, however what i would like to do is replace that drain and have my washer drain directly into the new pipe vice the laundry tub. my concern is that 2" may not be able to accomidate this? does it make sense to break out the slab around the current drain and put in a 4" drain, and tie everything into that? or does it make more sense to change the pipe to 2" and move the washer and dryer over closer to the main stack and drain it into there? what is the best way to accomplish this?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

In my opinion you can leave the 2" line in the slab, although you didn't mention its length. It will handle the fixtures attached. You could probably leave the 1 1/2" kitchen sink drain because the garbage disposal is made for a 1 1/2" trap, although you might feel better with 2" piping after the trap. The 4" pipe might be too large a diameter and not properly self-clean because there isn't a large enough flow of water from something like a WC. In general it seems like you are prepared to do a lot of extra/unnecessary work.

Comment

My apologies.....it is a 1.5 inch pipe that runs into the slab in the basement. you asked for length? an easy 10-11 feet.i did not want to do unnecessary work which is why i asked the question. thanks for the input!

ed
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Is the drain piping galvanized or Plastic? If it's steel, I would replace the drain line right up to the basement floor connection. For the laundry tub, it's a matter of cutting the drain line connecting to kitchen stack (which isn't to code)and reconnecting the disimilar pipes with a backup valve for flood protection and what we northern boys call a Fernco (rubber clamp connector). Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
        X