X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Toilet Install...

Just to help some DIY'ers with their questions I thought I'd post pics of some proper toilet connections.

Pics. 1 and 2 show about a 2" mound of putty over the toilet bolts in the tank. Always a good idea to protect & seal these bolts.

Pics. 3 and 4 show the underside of these bolts. This installer went the extra mile and placed putty on the underside also.

Pic. 5 shows it's always good to get the valve away from the tank when roughing it in. Gives you room to work.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Re: Proper Toilet Install...

jc. do you get a commission on the putty? no sayin nothin, just askin, just askin. breid

Comment

So that's what plumbers putty is for . Whoever installed that forgot to cover up all the threads on the bolts. big time leak risk

Comment

37 years, never used putty for that
        sigpic

Comment

well the next time I do will be the first!
          411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I would just add -

You can get the same seal protection from reshaping wax from the wax ring.

A good tip for those short on putty from the last toilet install.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Think I might stock up on putty, wax seals , and silicone.

Comment

silicone does work.
                I had some tank to bowl bolts leaking on a job... changed them and the gasket checked my work and it leaked? tightened it more still leaked removed tank put rubber washer then metal washer then nut under tank ..told customer this will fix it... still leaked?? tried a couple new sets of tank to bowl bolts.. tried big head and small head..... I could not see a crack in the tank ... told customer I have to change the toilet and I'll be back on monday and used silicone in the tank holes and all around bolts and gaskets. to get him by for the weekend.. told him it might drip a little... but it didn't drip a drop....he called monday and said he loved that toilet and it's fine... that was years ago and everytime I go over there to do another job I look at it silicone still doing it's job...
                silicone is fantastic.

but why do some customers insist on keeping an old ugly water wasting toilet with a worn out seat? I swear it's like pulling teeth to get them to switch.... once they do their happy but a lot of my customers feel loosing their toilet it like loosing an old friend? ... my customers need better friends I guess

Comment

and i thought you were actually being helpful

about the only useful info is the water rough being far to the left. that will allow for a toto uni fit if they ever wanted to install one.

as long as everyone knows your having fun with this, great.

giving mis information is not good.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Good point rick, before I saw the pictures I thought he was being serious Then i laughed a lot at what I saw. I've been knocked for this before but I always use silicone under my rubber washers. They are a TERRIBLE pain to take out if you screw something up but I haven't had any leaks yet. My journeyman told me to do it this way and it seems to work awesome. The two toilets in my house upstairs leaked from the bolts a year or so after I moved in, but there was rust on the floor meaning they had leaked before. I replaced them, used two rubber washers and a bit of silicone and everything works great. I also installed a new toilet in the basement with this method and it works great too.
                    Last edited by Marklar89; 08-07-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      and i thought you were actually being helpful

about the only useful info is the water rough being far to the left. that will allow for a toto uni fit if they ever wanted to install one.

as long as everyone knows your having fun with this, great.

giving mis information is not good.

rick.
                      A little sensative aren't we?
                      I knew what he was talking about.

Comment

Thick with sarcasm...

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
                          Good point rick, before I saw the pictures I thought he was being serious Then i laughed a lot at what I saw. I've been knocked for this before but I always use silicone under my rubber washers. They are a TERRIBLE pain to take out if you screw something up but I haven't had any leaks yet. My journeyman told me to do it this way and it seems to work awesome. The two toilets in my house upstairs leaked from the bolts a year or so after I moved in, but there was rust on the floor meaning they had leaked before. I replaced them, used two rubber washers and a bit of silicone and everything works great. I also installed a new toilet in the basement with this method and it works great too.
                          silicone is not necessary and not required.
                          having installed well over 10k toilets, there is no need for anything other than the rubber washers.

sure, it's better if they would supply a second nut and washer for "double nutting" the tank, but either way it works without any glue.

as far as i know, closet bolts, tank bolts are not suppose to be anything other than brass, or stainless, non corrosive. of course who actually enforces this part of the code
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I have put in solid brass tank bolts with washers on both sides without any silicone and they have not leaked but In the last apartment I worked on we had CRAPPY briggs toilets and they only had one washer and we siliconed all of them....but the guy who was in charge of that was kind of an idiot....I worked for another company where we used solid brass bolts with washers on both sides and the journeyman there never used silicone. So i definitely agree with not needing it. I Don't even think the guy who told me to use silicone was a licensed plumber because he told other people he was a "gasfitter" but the people at that company told me he failed his plumbing exam but passed his gas exam. Needless to say I didn't take a whole lot more advice from him after learning stupid crap like that...considering two other journeyman plumbers working for that company told me it was a no-no.

Comment

I am ok with the valve being over a bit. Saves work if the customer wants a wider toilet in the future. I have had to decline installations because the valve was directly behind the toilet and there wasnt enough room without moving the plumbing in the wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X