X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling Under Driveways

I can't remember who makes the drill device you use to bore under sidewalks etc. Any ideas?

Hook hose and larger right angle drill to it, then drill away.

Also, does anyone have experience with trying to drill around 15' through red clay type soil?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Drilling Under Driveways

perfecto products http://perfectoproducts.net/
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

try www.borzit.com. and www.borit.com. breid

Comment

I've had pretty good luck using a pressure washer with zero degree nozzle. Never tried it through clay though.

Comment

I own a borzit and have used it about 5 times, longest bore was about 7 feet worked good.

Comment

I have a borzit, and have tryed on some test holes but not really used it yet as in a real need, but I planing on trying it here very soon on a project,

where I tryed it out was in the corrall where the ground has been packed by hundreds of hoofs of cattle, (the power tractor post hole digger will not hardly dig where I tryed it and the borzit went in easly, there were some small rocks as well,).
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Also found this one.

http://www.wheelerrex.com/catalog/Wh...Catalog_46.htm

J.C.

Comment

Just call your local directional drilling company, I know the guy

Comment

i have the perfecto and wheeler rex. pretty identical. i've broken 2 over the years and got clocked in the skull once

i've done a 50' electrical line and hit it right on. the whole idea is to line up your ditch and the pipe. get a level and a mason line/ string to help line the first 10' section. the rest will follow.

clay is no problem with the water flow. it's going to get muddy and sticky.

i use a hydro bore with my jetter. i can do 50' and not worry about utilities. the jetter and attached boring bars will easily drill a 1'' hole in a matter of minutes for 17'. much easier than a drill model. problem is you need the jetter and the boring equipment to make it easy.

i posted the set up in a thread maybe 9 months ago. i'll try to find it.

rick.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20622
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

How do you handle any deflection from objects in your path such as large rocks, pieces of brick or block, scrap lumber, or an uneven bottom face to the asphalt from a roughly graded prep. I'm thinking more for PVC than with steel pipe or rigid conduit.

If this happens 10 or 12 feet in can you sense it (the deflection) back where you are feeding it in? And then correct it, or do you have to start a new bore?

I'd like to get a sleeve under my drive which is 24 feet wide. I know I have a U/G telephone, CATV, and AC power lines to deal with which all appear to as over 18" deep on multiple scans of the area. I'd be happy with the sleeve 12" or less below grade but worry about ending up with something that is heading for the South Pole using PVC.

Is the only choice to use rigid pipe? How does Sch 80 PVC work?
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

http://www.trenchlessamerica.com/hydro_bore.html

I am not sure if RIck does not have one of these, I thought I saw it in one of his pictures,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I dont have all the high tec stuff you guys got.
                        But if i have to get a pipe under a drive way i dig a trench on one side with the grade i want,,,adapt a hose to what ever size pipe i need and use the water to jet it under...i have replaced drains under the slab the same way,,,luck has to be with you,,,,to miss the water lines..

Comment

del. i do something similar. i use 1/2" pieces of pvc with a hose fitting and a ball valve. i have not found any soil or gravel that i can,t get through. if i need to aim it better, i use 1 1/2" pvc for guide. do not use any metallic pipe. period. if you find power where it's not supposed to be your feet will not be stuck to the ground with pvc. not fun. breid.........

Comment

Last one I did was a 3" Drain under a 20' Driveway Just used a Hose , Small 3 pound Hammer and a rag ... really lucked out on the pitch ... Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              How do you handle any deflection from objects in your path such as large rocks, pieces of brick or block, scrap lumber, or an uneven bottom face to the asphalt from a roughly graded prep. I'm thinking more for PVC than with steel pipe or rigid conduit.

If this happens 10 or 12 feet in can you sense it (the deflection) back where you are feeding it in? And then correct it, or do you have to start a new bore?

I'd like to get a sleeve under my drive which is 24 feet wide. I know I have a U/G telephone, CATV, and AC power lines to deal with which all appear to as over 18" deep on multiple scans of the area. I'd be happy with the sleeve 12" or less below grade but worry about ending up with something that is heading for the South Pole using PVC.

Is the only choice to use rigid pipe? How does Sch 80 PVC work?
                              I agree. My house is built on a rock so large, we built around it. Waaaay too many rocks to do that boring.

Around here, bursting pipe is the only way to go. We can do 3/4 burst easy enough. If they want a new pipe, its usually routed from under the house or well.
                              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Working...
                              X