7. install a water bleed line to reduce calcium build up
    8. verify all the electrical connections are moisture proof and secure
    9. verify the thermostat actually works
    10. hope the dew point never gets above 40-45 degrees optimum is when the
    dew point is lower than 30 degrees

Cactus Man

Comment

Re: Swamp coolers

If you can get away with it leave poison for all pidgeons!!
      I got one building that must have at least 100 of the flying vermin roosting on it and damn if the media doesnt have to be changed a couple times a season. Feeds into a restaurant kitchen and all those feathers and feces that coat them have just got to be bacterial airborn hazards!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
        I got one building that must have at least 100 of the flying vermin roosting on it and damn if the media doesnt have to be changed a couple times a season. Feeds into a restaurant kitchen and all those feathers and feces that coat them have just got to be bacterial airborn hazards!!!
        Don't forget about the Backflow Prevention device. Swamp Coolers are a high hazard. Can anyone say Legionnaires Disease? You need an RP.

Mick

Comment

good point on the back flow, thanx

Comment

By swamp cooler do you mean the rooftop mounted water cooled evaporator that has a ballcock type arrangement that maintains water level? If that is what you are talking about I have a few questions.

For one, how does it cool in climates that typically have over 100 degree summer time weather? Here in Michigan they are effective until the temp gets over about 90 degrees and the humidity is high. They are used in some office buildings but do not do a great job during high temp/ high humidity days.

My son lives in an apartment in Tempe Az. and he says his apartment is cooled by a swamp cooler. Would they have a unit for each apartment?

And in such low humidity how can you maintain sufficient water levels for high temp cooling with so much water evaporation? If it is 115 degrees at street level what is the temp of the water in the unit on the roof? I don't know the calculations but I can't believe you get much cooling out of 120 degree water, unless the fast evaporation at those humidity levels contribute to the cooling effect.

And if these are popular in the Southwest, where are you getting all of the water?

Would someone please enlighten us Northerners?

Comment

Here in the west - Trona,Ca. is where i live. Its very dry here, and very low humidity. so a swamp cooler is the key to keeping cool. I have a roof top unit. They also make a wall mount and a window unit. Back in the east, a traditional A/C unit is used because of the higher humidity levels.

Comment

wtf is your icon? Grow the f up, man.
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

I just got rid of my evap cooler (swamp box) on the roof after twenty years but last summer with 45 drgrees C I just installed a ducted refrig thoughout the house and carn`t wait for summer.

Tony

Comment

I think they'd be Most effective in the southwest really. Part of what an Air Conditioner does is dehumidify the air, no need for that in places like Arizona the majority of the time.

also, that quickly evaporating water seems like it would be the key to the cooler working effectively, kind of like sweat evaporating off of your skin to keep you cool.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Along with AFM.
                      The climate here is starting to be well and truly too much for evap coolers.
                      From memory they are good for a temp drop of around 20c max!

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
                        Don't forget about the Backflow Prevention device. Swamp Coolers are a high hazard. Can anyone say Legionnaires Disease? You need an RP.

Mick

There is a built in air gap. The valve is mounted on the side high enough for the standing water to overflow the pan before it gets high enough to be an issue. At least on the newer models.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                          There is a built in air gap. The valve is mounted on the side high enough for the standing water to overflow the pan before it gets high enough to be an issue. At least on the newer models.
                          True, and understood, but my understanding of the question wasn't of installation of new, but everyones 'take' on keeping existing units running well. I was just offering something else to look for on some units.

Mick

Originally posted by FRANKPERKO View Post
                          Ok guys, lets here everyones take on swamp coolers, how to keep them
                          running well .

Comment

In AZ most of the newer evaporative units have a "bleed-line" installed by the pump in the water supply. This way a small amount of "old" water and chemicals are drained off.
                            There is an overflow device in the water reservoir to ensure the water level stays at a specific level and does not over fill the water pan.

Logic indicates that when the evaporative cooling season is over you pull the cooling pads and clean them. If you have the older straw type pads you just trash them and buy new. They are not expensive. The newer cardboard styles cost more but you can wash them to remove the build up of calcium. Rust also is high maintenance issue.

Bottom line...the evaporative cooling system is indeed quite simple in its operation and cost effective electrically speaking. On the other hand they are high maintenance and dirty devices. If you have arthritis and humidity causes discomfort, don't use an evaporative cooler... Also when the dew point goes above 45 degrees you'll think it's raining inside!

They do make a "pre-cooler" and this does allow you to use the unit slightly above the 45 degree dew point, but you still will be uncomfortable. If you work outside and never go into an air conditioned building then you will tolerate evap cooling longer..But if you work and drive in air conditioning evaporative cooling will be very miserable!

Evaporative cooling will never beat air conditioning and when AZ evolved to air conditioning
                            the masses moved here...I did in 1979

Cactus Man

Comment

If you work outside and never go into an air conditioned building then you will tolerate evap cooling longer..But if you work and drive in air conditioning evaporative cooling will be very miserable!

My wife works in an air conditioned office. When she gets home she feels hot and sticky. On days when she is in the house all day she thinks it is comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X