Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Can Plumbers get ripped off? Long winded post, but good!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Plumbers get ripped off? Long winded post, but good!

Three years ago my wife and I bought a foreclosure in Adams county Wisconsin. This was in bad shape. At the time the well was not working, so we called a guy who had done a well on a camping lot we had (call him Driller A). He came out and told us the well was slow, and should be replaced or repaired if possible. We enquired about having it repaired, he said a new point could fix it, if it can be changed.
    I called around and two other well drillers said a point on that well was impossible to change. I said "Driller A" said its possible. Then the other guy says he must have put the well in originally, cause it aint possible. So we had the point changed by Driller A, cause he said he could do it.
    The water got a little better, but not the best. Driller A said there was low water, and it needed to be capped and a new one drilled. We were charged for the work due. I felt bad about the whole deal, but he said he had to do the work to find out if it could be repaired or not. We did not want this guy to put a new well in. He wanted $4300 for a 55ft. point!
    Fast forward to last month. We finally decide to have the well "fixed" permanantly, we have had enough, may want to sell etc. We ask around for referrals. We are told "Driller B" is a good guy. So he comes out to check things out. I get a call later that day...
    "In a nutshell you guys were F***** by whoever said they changed the point."
    "Huh?"
    "Whoever did this drove a new point into the old, existing point, and screwed everything up." This never should have been done, you were charged for nothing.
    "So now what?"
    "You need a new well."
    We get the new well, and all is well. A fraction of the price the other guy wanted.
    Now keep in mind, both of these guys are "reputable" well guys.
    I call Driller A to let him know what his competition told me. All he could do was bad mouth the other guy. I never dropped names, but he slammed everyone. He even said they were all jealous of him because he works 90 hours a week...he said they were all scamming me!

I could see I was getting nowhere, and at the end of our conversation he said "You needed a new well anyway." (As if "why are you calling me") That did it for me...I gotta go with my gut feeling, this guy is a sham, he did shoddy work, and wont own up to it. Why would anyone say such a statement unless it was designed to cover their work?

Driller B showed me the point he pulled out and noted the following:
    -Half the point has rust on it, the other half clean. This is because it was not set all the way past the casing, thus producing the rust. This would have been a clue for Driller A...the same amount of pipe is not going back in.
    -The point tip is busted. Piercing the old point?
    -Deep abraisions on point along with burrs. Metal to metal when driven?
    -The point is bent slightly. Driving into the old point?

-I asked driller A about the rust on the point. He had the nerve to tell me that its possible that it could no go down all the way...(ok...then why didnt you stop and say it cannot be done correctly?)
    -Driller A said the abrasions and burrs were from rock.
    -Driller A said points get bent when drilled (this was not drilled, it was replaced)

I am no expert...but who can you trust? Both these guys are reputable.
    Attached Files

Re: Can Plumbers get ripped off? Long winded post, but good!

I have to confess I got a little confused reading it all. I'd say driller B would be more trustable & knowledgeable.

Driller A may have thought he could replace the point & have it function properly but didn't confess when things didn't go as he thought.

$4300.00 seems expensive. But area prices and businesses can differ greatly & that may be what he charges for his operation.

I know a couple of drillers. The equipment is typically $500,000+ new.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

This is why I push new instead of repair on any older and/or suspect anything. Shoot, I walk away from repairs all the time because my gut tells me NOOOOO!

To answer your question about plumbers getting ripped off: we are the worse customers anywhere. I would hate to try to deal with me as I would be my own worst customer.

I bet you had a suspicion that a repair wouldn't work, but it was cheaper to do it.

You used Driller A once before and was happy with his work why?
      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

I would say we all can get ripped off and taken advantage of if we are not knowledgeable. I always try to get referals if at all possible. Unfortunately all we can do is live and learn from our mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          You used Driller A once before and was happy with his work why?
          He put a well in on our camping property the year before...he did a good job to. The year before he charged us $1800 for a 55ft. point.

Sorry if my story is confusing, so much went on, but I could not possibly write all of it.

Comment

I have to agree with Drip Trip.

I had a old time plumber tell me "ignorance is bliss". I didn't know what it meant then, but I do now.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

point. when you talk about a point, are talking about a 1 1/2" or 2" well? if so you wont get one here. all 4" or 5" drilled. thank you. breid........

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                point. when you talk about a point, are talking about a 1 1/2" or 2" well? if so you wont get one here. all 4" or 5" drilled. thank you. breid........
                1.5 point set in a 2 inch casing. Tons of sand in the area.

Comment

35 years ago I was building homes on Cape cod Mass. This was mostly sand.I drove 7 shallow wells ,in the 50' range. This is all sand like long Island N.Y. I used a 2" sand point
                  with 2" casing. I can not for the life of Me ,imagine someone driving another point in an existing casing. He should return Your $$$$
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Can someone explain to this inner city plumber what that thing is in the picture and how it's used in drilling a well?

Comment

crack. google (how to drive a well point). umn has a good article with pictures. have fun. breid...........

Comment

That is a 3' sand point . On the end is a hardened drive point. Above that is a cylindrical brass sand screen,inside perforations. A coupling is attached to a 10 ft. section of Galvanized pipe. Post hole a 3 ft. deep hole to start. Drill a 1/2" hole in a flat threaded end cap. I had a 90 Lb driver. I welded a 5ft. 1/2" rod onto a 6" capped section of pipe,filled with melted tire balance weights. Hook eye screwed into soft lead on open top. Welded 2 ford rims together. Now I had a capstain winch. 3- 1 1/2" pipes with a bolt through the top was My trypod. Up and down ,You have a small pile driver. I use to drive around 50' on the cape.
                        You install an 1 1/4" inside with a foot valve. I still don't understand what is on the poster's property. This is only good in soft earth,No rock, ledge formations. Good to be a poor Boy,
                        You fix and do it Your self, Have too !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          This is what is done here also. No driven point wells. Drilled with what they call an Air Rig that's very expensive.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                          X