X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping neighbors with their little plumbing problems

I have a nice group of neighbors. Rarely am I asked to come over and check out this or that plumbing issue. Occasionally, I get a call for some advice, but that's it. Of course, when I get the call, I either go over and fix the problem ( or at least steer them in the right direction (like for a stoppage). Invariably, when I do a two minute fix or run to the truck and grab a two bit part, they insist on paying me. I always refuse payment, saying it's no big deal. How do you all deal with your neighbors?

Re: Helping neighbors with their little plumbing problems

Anything more then 15 minutes or $5 in parts gets charged They always offer to pay just for the advice.

Comment

some i do and some not.

how do you think i drive under 5k miles a year

1 neighbor i cover my parts, and in return i get warm apple pie

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        some i do and some not.

how do you think i drive under 5k miles a year

1 neighbor i cover my parts, and in return i get warm apple pie

rick.
        Exactly the same here and I like my Apple pies too.....

Though I might put on 5100 miles a year, that's because I have to go to school in the twin cities from time to time, which is mandatory by our state.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I just give it to them.
          Let them buy a gas/water flex,I'll put it on.
          Leaky angle stop,"You owe me a soda".
          Drain stoppage...Nothin' for the K-39.
          Heaters..100 bucks+Parts if it's our first meeting.
          And ON And ON.

Just gut prices,Whatever I get a feeling for.

Comment

last time i helped was was my next door neighbor and the fan went out on his indoor unit on a hot hot sunday so he asked whats the chance i have a new fan motor on my truck . well i dont do service so i dont carry that stuff . so he went home and 5 min later i was at his door asking to see the motor , well i looked in my scrap pile and we have a match .
            its still working 4 tears later

its good when you can help some one i did say he needs to pay me the scrap price for the motor just joking , i go to his pig roast each year
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Next door neighbor, I supply the labor, he mows my yard in the summer.

J.C.

Comment

I try to help out my neighbours/friends for cheap/free. The other day i helped my buddy change a cartridge in his faucet, he bought the faucet and i put the cartridge in. We also tightened a leaky trap under his kitchen sink. My neighbour had a gap between the tailpiece of her kitchen sink and trap adapter that she had duct taped together, i simply went over, loosened the trap adapter on the sink on the other side, pushed the continuous waste assembly up about an inch and tightened the other side to close the gap. didn't charge either of them. People call me if they need a hand/power tool too sometimes and i will go over and do the job for them usually for nothing...especially if it involves my sawzall (yes its a Milwaukee)> I cut the top of a 55 gallon drum to make a rain barrel the other day. Fun stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
                  I try to help out my neighbours/friends for cheap/free. The other day i helped my buddy change a cartridge in his faucet, he bought the faucet and i put the cartridge in. We also tightened a leaky trap under his kitchen sink. My neighbour had a gap between the tailpiece of her kitchen sink and trap adapter that she had duct taped together, i simply went over, loosened the trap adapter on the sink on the other side, pushed the continuous waste assembly up about an inch and tightened the other side to close the gap. didn't charge either of them. People call me if they need a hand/power tool too sometimes and i will go over and do the job for them usually for nothing...especially if it involves my sawzall (yes its a Milwaukee)> I cut the top of a 55 gallon drum to make a rain barrel the other day. Fun stuff!
                  Just a heads up and this is not a joke. I had a friend who blew his face off and died, 3 yrs ago, cutting the top off a barrel. And the man was a master plumber and knew better. If the barrel had any flammables in it, you better remove the fumes and add something like water. Though he was using a torch to do this, but I have made plenty of sparks in my time w/ a reciprocating saw and metal. Be careful in which you do.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Lots for nothing
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                      Just a heads up and this is not a joke. I had a friend who blew his face off and died, 3 yrs ago, cutting the top off a barrel. And the man was a master plumber and knew better. If the barrel had any flammables in it, you better remove the fumes and add something like water. Though he was using a torch to do this, but I have made plenty of sparks in my time w/ a reciprocating saw and metal. Be careful in which you do.
                      Oh! I forgot to mention it was a plastic accu-chem barrel that had only at one point in time contained car wash soap, and i had thoroughly rinsed it out through a hole in the top with a hose. My dad works in environmental and I leanred NEVER cut into a steel tank of any sort with fuel in it. Thanks for the heads up and glad I could clarify this. Good to see you look out for peoples safety

Comment

I've helped the neighbors out some. Not too many ask. My folks are the ones that drive me nuts. They have two mobile home parks that I regularly clean drains at. They insist on paying me! I keep telling them I'm going to get the money sooner or later, later is good with me. Mom is a fanatic with her book keeping so I held one of her checks for several months just to mess with her. Now she pays me cash!
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

This is why I don't talk to my neighbors.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                            This is why I don't talk to my neighbors.
                            I don't believe you, Lenny.

Comment

I'm pretty fortunate, the nearest neighbor is about 7 miles away and I've never met them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X