Mobile battery charging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile battery charging

Do you charge your cordless tool batteries in your work trucks?

If so what do you use?

I have standardized all of my cordless tools to Dewalt so I may just go with their auto charger (one hour charge $^$^&*!).

Anyone built a better mousetrap?

Bill

Re: Mobile battery charging

I use a small inverter, it plugs into the lighter outlet. It is made for laptops and small 110 items. I think I picked it up at walmart for 20 or 30 dollars. Charges my batteries- tool and grease gun, I use it to power the camera if needed, laptop, also have used it to power a drop light. For a small item it works well with the truck running or not. This way you can use your 110 chargers

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
      I use a small inverter, it plugs into the lighter outlet. It is made for laptops and small 110 items. I think I picked it up at walmart for 20 or 30 dollars. Charges my batteries- tool and grease gun, I use it to power the camera if needed, laptop, also have used it to power a drop light. For a small item it works well with the truck running or not. This way you can use your 110 chargers

An inverter may be the only way to go... I guess I better go do a bit of math and see what kind of wattage I need to make a rack that will hold (5) 18V XRP batteries

1 hour chargers 120V x 2 amps= 240 watts per charger x5 chargers= 1200 watts
      Last edited by OkieBill; 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Okie, I have used the Dewalt 12 volt charger for several yrs with good success. Don't charge more than one battery at a time without starting the truck to recharge the truck , or you will be asking for a jump start.( been there done that)I normally get 2yrs out of a charger before I have to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by JW3 View Post
          Okie, I have used the Dewalt 12 volt charger for several yrs with good success. Don't charge more than one battery at a time without starting the truck to recharge the truck , or you will be asking for a jump start.( been there done that)I normally get 2yrs out of a charger before I have to replace.
          I will forget for sure, I did not even think of the battery drain.

I do have an AUX 12 circuit that turns off when truck is off

Comment

I have 18 volt dewalt stuff as well and charge one battery at a time. I just make sure my I keep my batteries charged and ready for use. I have three of them so I keep rotating as needed

Comment

My choices are be responsible and keep a battery charged at all times or build a frankenstein that will let me store my batteries in chargers

I'm gonna try the dewalt mobile charger until I get the new truck then I will build Frankenstein...

Bill

Comment

At the first company I worked for we had this massive frankenstien of chargers in the trailer we worked out of. There were probably half a dozen dewalt chargers and 4 Makita chargers, two Ryobi's (for the cheapskates that used them) and a Milwaukee charger. These were all plugged into a power bar and into a generator outside the trailer even though it said right on the charger not to hook it up to a generator. Nobody's batteries melted or died or anything though, needless to say I kept my Makita charger at home and used to charge the batteries on my drill and impact at night seeing as I did more tool lugging than tool using at that company.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  An inverter may be the only way to go... I guess I better go do a bit of math and see what kind of wattage I need to make a rack that will hold (5) 18V XRP batteries

1 hour chargers 120V x 2 amps= 240 watts per charger x5 chargers= 1200 watts
                  and, consider this... 1200watts divided by the 12volt supply your vehicle has equals 100 amps. Frankenstein better come with some heavy cables and a big alternator if those 110 chargers really draw 2 amp.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Again, Ryobi is in the lead with tools. This is what all other mfg's need to be making for the construction industry http://www.ryobitools.com/supercharger/#/home . When I worked for the electrical company, we bought a inverter from Costco for like 100$. Worked great, we would always run the van when we used it for using the vac or anything that required some power. We also always turned it off at night so it wouldn't drain the battery. Also remeber that the 12volt DC current requires a LOT larger cable the further back you go in your van. We eneded up putting the inverter right behind the passenger seat with #4 wire (Which we paralled, and you're not supposed to do that, but hey, we're electricians and that's what we do!). If you plan on going and putting it further back in your van or truck, you may want to get another battery and run cables to it, then tap off that battery to the inverter.

Comment

I buy cheap inverters and run them off my aux lighter port. The inverters don't actually die from use just from me spilling coffee on them. But yes I charge one battery at a time and almost always have one on it at all times during the day.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I charge mine at the house. This is why all the batteries on my truck are 18v dewalt. I got 6 batteries on the truck so a low battery is never a problem for me.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                        X