X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverters...

The mobile charging thread got me to wondering if there is an inverter that will power a decent sized cable machine? I'm thinking my Spartan 300 (I think 1/2 horse motor).
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Re: Inverters...

I'm sure there is, but wouldn't one of those little lunchpail honda genny's be easier? I think my gorlitz is 1/2 horse, and has to draw less than 15 amp, but 15 amp at 120v is 150A at 12v, and that's a lot of amps.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Well, it might be. I was thinking of something I didn't have to carry fuel around for and take up precious toolbox space. This machine rides around in one of my pumper trucks.

Comment

well if it's a pumper it's almost certainly a diesel, and they tend to have smaller alternators... but also tend to have a couple of big batteries... maybe put an amp clamp on the snake next time you run it and see what it is pulling, then check the rating on the alternator and see if it might work? I understand precious toolbox space... but a couple hundred feet of decent drop cords probably takes up as much space as the genny.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

You've got a point with the cords. I've got a little old Kawasaki genny that I might give a go.

Thanks.

Comment

i converted 1 of my k750 to a 1/2h.p. 12 volt machine. it draws 40 amps for the motor and runs fine with a deep cycle battery.

i also have a 1500 watt inverter and it's great for my k-60 and camera stuff.

i have a factory second battery and my alternator on my sprinter is a 200 amp unit. never and issue with charging the battery.

if you do go with an inverter, make sure you isolate the secondary battery from the starting battery.

a simple marine battery switch will do.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X