Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It finally happened to me

but USAA has just delivered me a big fat wet kiss on the lips
    That's why I have been a USAA member for the past 36 years, ya can't beat 'em.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

These are not fool proof but hopefully make the thief think its not worth the trouble.

This steering column lock - NOT a steering wheel lock which are easily defeated. This lock wraps around the column preventing the wheel from turning.

http://www.autolock.com/Unbreakable_Auto_CL.htm

And this brake lock which will not be easy to break.

http://www.autolock.com/Unbreakable_Auto_BL.htm

Hopefully by the time they start working on my two locks I'll hear the alarm.

The CarDefender looks interesting, thanks.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss.

But things seem to be going well,If so congrats.
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          bill and anyone else.

my buddy designs and sells a product called car defender.

http://www.cardefender.com/

look over the product. if you know how to install a radio, you can probably install his system with some guidance.

give fred a call and mention that plumber rick sent you

fred is a sharp guy and can set you up with a unit that has a lifetime guarantee

fred is also a lurker here on the forum as he works on plumbing truck repairs. so give him a hard time too

no way to start the car when his system is installed. it automatically arms when you shut the ignition.

i've had mine for 9 years and it's never failed

rick.
          ok, i spoke to fred today about what happened to bill.

fred is not only the creator of this product, but he is also a auto mechanic and has worked for another buddy for years with his plumbing company keeping the trucks running and on the road. along with the sewer machines.

so fred knows plumbing and he knows how much it hurts to have to put a truck together from scratch.

fred wants to pass on an offer for the ridgid family.

go to his site and look at his product. call him or email any questions.

and if you decide to purchase a car defender in the next 30 days. he will discount the unit by 20% off.

there is a special promo code to enter at checkout.

enter the code " RIDGID"

i was going to have him use "plumber rick" but then you might not buy it

not only is fred a friend of mine but he is really connected with the plumbing industry. he works with plumbers, attends the trade shows and can talk shop.

give him a call or email him.

fred along with his product,"car defender" can be reached at

www.cardefender.com

there is nothing in it for me. but i know with his car defender, there is no way to drive the car/ truck away.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I don't believe anything is theft proof but I do have an alarm on my truck which disables the ignition and a total of 12-plungers connected to different doors on the truck which all sound the alarm.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Wow Crack, I am sorry about your loss. It is one of my biggest nightmares.

I once had the sinking feeling of not seeing my truck where it was parked. I pulled up on a job and parked on the side of the building like I always did in the past. Went inside to look the job over and came right back out, was not even gone 5 minutes. The van was gone. After a good minutes worth of panic on my face, a couple old men told me the city towed it. In the city, work trucks as long as they are working at the building they are parked at are exempt to towing, so that was not the first thing that went through my mind.

I really do hope you get you truck back with most of the tools intact if not all of them.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              Ron's Facebook
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

On the Car Defender thing . . .

Most cars sold in the US today have transponder systems -- the head of the key contains a passive chip with a code, the column has an antenna around front of the lock. With this system -- and there are several varieties in use today -- if someone breaks the physical lock and turns the lock cylinder (drilling, slam-hammering, tire iron), the transponder system built in to the OEM BCM or ECM will not enable one or more system (fuel injection, fuel pump, ignition system). And there's no bypassing it except with very, very specialized tools. Because the transponder system is looking for a specific code, and not just a dry contact closure (like what the Car Defender provides), and because most newer transponder systems use rotating codes that are encrypted, these things are a serious impediment to being able to drive away the vehicle, unless you do have the correct chip with the correct code -- and they do use a lot of them.

[This is in contrast to the now-obsolete GM VATS system dating 1986-1995 or so, which uses a range of resistor pellets in the blade of the key -- if you know what you're doing, one can bypass this fairly easily; if you're lucky, in under three minutes; if unlucky, it might take you 40 minutes.]

I have to deal with OEM transponder systems every day (lost keys issue) , and we own at least $10k of specialized equipment and can't service every make even so.

We see transponder systems on probably 80% of new cars we deal with. On motorcycles. Even on one make of scooter!

But, unfortunately, commercial equipment and quite a few pickups do not come factory-equipped with transponder systems. WTF? Who needs it most?

While the Car Defender looks slick and I'm impressed and all, I do remove this kind of aftermarket system every week from someone's car. Usually, someone buys a rig secondhand, has trouble with it, and when we tell the customer that they have an aftermarket security system, they generally just want it gone. I've got a box full of 'em (not the Car Defender, just to be clear). If you know what you're looking for, they're easy to bypass, because they're not integrated into the ECM or BCM, they're an add-on and the modified wiring is easy to see.

Still, every countermeasure you put in a scum's path will help.

Nothing's going to help if they tow it away though

FWIW
                Regards,
                Al S.

Comment

You too?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    You too?

Mark

Did Rick put you up to this, Mark?

When I talked to him this morning, he was pretty upset we had the same thread title and wanted to have mine removed

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Did Rick put you up to this, Mark?

When I talked to him this morning, he was pretty upset we had the same thread title and wanted to have mine removed
                      I heard him complain to Joey last night and I explained to Joey people will search for his thread and find yours. So I guess I may be somewhat responsible for him calling you. We have a last minute go-cart race day planned for tomorrow so I am preparing him to be humiliated.

Mark

Comment

sorry bill i the get them and hang them

you need rosie to help
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. I had kill switches on 17 of my vehicles but found that most of the time they were not being used. I then had "Fred" from "Car Defender" do his magic and I found that I was sleeping better at night. Never had a truck stolen from that point on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            USAA you say?
                            I guess I'm going to have to look them up!
                            An ins Co that actually insures you? What an idea!
                            Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            Glad to hear it's working out for you PC. I didn't have time to PM you this A.M. But I was going to let you know I need to use my Root Ranger sometime next week but after that, I can send it to you so you can try it out. Let me know when you get settled again and I'll send it down.

What do you need to keep you going while your waiting for new stuff?
                            Post a list. I'm sure between all of us, you can borrow what you need so you don't have to rush into getting things.
                            Only available to former military or relatives of such.

J.C.

Comment

It's been 4 days and still no sign of the truck

Comment

Very sorry PC. In the past year or so I've had a GPS, drill, K-39AF, & hose "disappear".

Hope you have a resurgence in your business when a ride and tools come back to you.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X