It finally happened to me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It finally happened to me

Not trying to be the devil's advocate (again), but.... now is an opportunity to rig a new truck from the ground up. The sun comes up and life goes on.
    Better half full than half empty. I got over it and so will you.
    Bastardi non carburundum!

Comment

This thread makes me sick to my stomach.

They find your truck yet?

Comment

7 days and no sign of it anywhere

I'm kind of stuck in limbo here. Insurance company won't process the claim for a replacement truck until 10 have passed. We've had 4 vans stolen and a backhoe. Never has taken this long to find them.

Comment

Sorry for your loss.

I work for a large cable company here in Orange County. Several months ago one of our tech's walked out to go to work and found his company van gone. He of course called the police and then his boss. Within 2 minutes his boss had the GPS tracker up on his laptop and was on the phone with the police telling them turn by turn where the van had gone. The vehicle was recovered within 15 minutes of discovering it missing and with all of our equipment intact.

You may want to think about adding a system like this to your vehicles in the future so at least you can maybe recover your vehicle and your tools if you catch the theft quick enough.

Hope they find your stuff...

Kevin
          Badges?!? We don\'t need no stinking badges!

Comment

Man I'm never moving back to the real world. The keys are in my van as I type this... I'd have to find a whole new way of being if they couldn't be because I'll wake up tomorrow and if they're not there I'll spend a half hour finding them. The shop is never locked as someone I know will need to borrow something. I've got drunk and left the door up on the shop and the van outside with the keys in it all night til noon more than once. Only consequence is that someone notices and comes to make sure I'm not dead and brings coffee.

I'm so done with the city. Here we're all friends, just some we've not yet met. I don't know how I'd deal with the crap that is just the day-to-day for the rest of y'all.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

bill, you're not alone

appeared in craigs list.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...332089774.html

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

A thief would take a look at my stuff and think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0iX_Cifus

There's nothing to steal.

Bill,

Did you own that vehicle outright?
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  Man I'm never moving back to the real world. The keys are in my van as I type this... I'd have to find a whole new way of being if they couldn't be because I'll wake up tomorrow and if they're not there I'll spend a half hour finding them.
                  I was like you until my truck was stolen a few years ago while I was having breakfast 30' from where it was parked. No insurance in cases like that. Ouch!!!

Comment

My wife has LoJack installed on her car. I think it costs about $500 but no further charges and good forever.
                    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

My two cents:

You need one of these. We have them on all our vehicles.

http://www.compustar.org/products/pro/RF-P2WSS.html

Two way alarms are great because they page you the second someone violates the alarm. Even if the thief can disarm the alarm in the first minute the unit still pages you and gives you the opportunity of surprise on the perp. Trust me the last thing they want to see is a p'oed owner running at them with a baseball bat or better yet a handgun.

Back in the 70's I was one of the lucky ones that knew someone in the electronics industry that hooked me up with a Audiovox paging alarm. The first ever on the market. I was at a baseball game with three buddies when the pager went off. All four of us did the OJ through the airport run through the stands and out to the parking lot. Found a dude trying to jack my stereo. Need I say more. From that point on I have always made a point of installing a pager alarm on all our vehicles including the company ones.

Comment

I had a pager added to my alarm on a beautiful blazer I had in the 90's.
                        only problem was all my friends would ask what the pager was for and I'd tell them.... can't tell you how many times I was sitting at a bar or resturant and my "good friends" would see the blazer go over and kick the tires to set off the alarm to watch me run outside then laugh like teenagers ( guess we were still kids, at least acted like it) .....I lost lots of money on cover charges or the bartender would throw out my drink by the time we came back in and once I had a waitress run after me thinking I was skipping out on the bill.
                        but that pager really worked great

Comment

there's a gps unit for $100 and $10 a month that allows you to track your vehicles location on a computer/ web phone.

it's the size of a large hide a key box. rechargeable battery or d.c. adapter you hide in the or under the vehicle.

auto parts stores and radio shack has them.

forgot the name of it. i think it had the words "land and sea" on it.

i'll look when i get out.

rick.

http://www.landairsea.com/
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-24-2009, 12:15 AM. Reason: link
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Here is another GPS Tracker.

http://gps-snitch.com/

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just spoke with a guy from the Los Angeles area he had his truck stolen. I think he said something like 30yrs of tools and has to start over again. Insurance would not cover the tools just the vehicle. What do you say to that? A guy spends his whole life investing in tools and equipment for his business and one night loses his lively hood. I don't know the guy that well but what does one say to such a horrific act, I was lost for words and just PISSED OFF. I have had my car and my wife’s car broken into this year and a radial arm saw taken during day light right in from of my house. I live in a good neighborhood I just don’t get what has gotten into people. I am out all most four thousand dollars this year due to theft I know it’s not the same as plumberscrack or this gentleman I just spoke with and I can’t begin to understand the anger and shock of it all.

Comment

I hear sad stories like this more and more Dan. I'm still in shock over losing everything. Thankfully, I was over insured but that doesn't take the sting away from what happened.

Just found out today that my employers insurance would NOT cover my personal tools. Just the truck and materials inside. If I didn't have that additional homeowners policy I would likey be flipping burgers at McDonalds for minimum wage today just to make ends meet.

If anything good comes out of this I hope that everyone with something to lose takes a good hard look at what you have and how to better protect it.

Tomorrow when you wake up, it might not be there..............think about it

Comment

Working...
                                X