X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It finally happened to me

I never even thought about my personal tools on the company van.

I'm going to have to really look into this.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Every morning I look outside and breath a sigh of relief that my truck is still there. Its the biggest night mare I have. We used to have a shop where we parked the trucks inside it.. I used to be able to sleep night then. Now that the truck sits in my apartments parking lot , every little outside noise I am up looking out the window.

There was a couple times I got in late and my normal parking spot was taken so I ended up parking in the other lot. When I wake up and head to my parking spot that I normally park in, I practically crap myself wondering where my truck is at, then a few seconds later I remember I parked it on the other lot.

My dad is looking into a new property that he can buy instead of rent that has 3 large garages, I really hope we get it, then I could start sleeping nights again.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      I hear sad stories like this more and more Dan. I'm still in shock over losing everything. Thankfully, I was over insured but that doesn't take the sting away from what happened.

Just found out today that my employers insurance would NOT cover my personal tools. Just the truck and materials inside. If I didn't have that additional homeowners policy I would likey be flipping burgers at McDonalds for minimum wage today just to make ends meet.

If anything good comes out of this I hope that everyone with something to lose takes a good hard look at what you have and how to better protect it.

Tomorrow when you wake up, it might not be there..............think about it
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I hear sad stories like this more and more Dan. I'm still in shock over losing everything. Thankfully, I was over insured but that doesn't take the sting away from what happened.

Just found out today that my employers insurance would NOT cover my personal tools. Just the truck and materials inside. If I didn't have that additional homeowners policy I would likey be flipping burgers at McDonalds for minimum wage today just to make ends meet.

If anything good comes out of this I hope that everyone with something to lose takes a good hard look at what you have and how to better protect it.

In value, how many personal tools in worth did you have on that truck?

I would think the boss knowing the situation would come to the plate and offer compensation.

If it was your personal vehicle, different story.

But his truck and tools are what made that vehicle a target, and your tools were part of that big equation.

I know you're situation with him, but I don't see where you should be forking money over right now.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

All types of crime go up when the UI numbers rise as high as they are now.
          You basically got 1 out of 10 who is not getting anything or is getting about half what they were making ends meet with, they are going to subsidize that meager income somehow, and they're not particular about how they do it.

That really bows that your personal tools were not covered. When you say personal tools do you mean you bought them or they were company tools but you were the one who personally used them? I guess the answer is don't have any personal tools on the truck. What I mean is make sure they all belong to the company, and that the company insurance covers all equipment essential to the operation of the business, then they should all be covered the way I see it.

Years ago I had a part time photography business, and I got insurance to cover my cameras and all the gear that went with them. You're covering a wedding or other event you can't drag every piece of gear with you and you can't watch it 24/7, you 've GOT to have insurance 'cause there are the jerks out there who will steal your gear while you are taking portraits of their kids and then flat deny it to your face. Lost a nice flash unit that way on day.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 08-24-2009, 09:32 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i have a new ford work van from the company and i was surprised it did not have a key with a computer chip in it .
            so now i will look into what the company will do if the truck is stolen form my home and what if it happens at a supply house or job site
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Often we become complacent with things we own of value. Things if lost would cost us dearly to replace and the mental and emotional strain is just not worth the complacency. Thank you for reminding me that I needed to fix my motion lights at my house and install a security system in my truck. I hope that in your experience that some others have learned something. I have read a lot of good ideas from this thread and because of your willingness to share I know I sleep a little better at night. I have nominated your thread not because of what you had to go through but for your courage to remind us that this world is not perfect and we need to take precautions to protect ourselves and our property. Thank you buddy!
              -Dan Lawrence

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your great loss. Some tools can never be replaced; custom made, discontinued, inherited,etc. It really makes me mad about the scum out there that steals from the table of the hard working. Prayers and hope for your recovery.

Comment

Update:

Still no van

Insurance company now says no ONE tool can cost over $2,000.00

I had 2 tools that cost twice that

For those reviewing your policies, check the dollar payout amount for each item

Comment

we could probably come up with some receipts for several $2000 hammers or wrenches to make up the difference on the more expensive equipment <.< not advocating fraud, just saying...
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

either post a list or email the items you need help finding. i'm sure all of us have extras that we can part with.

Need anything I might have let me know I do have a TON of tools

Comment

sorry for your loss hope things are getting better, I would be so filled with anger I'm not sure how I'd let it go.
                        I really thought they would find the van in a week or two
                        Still no van? maybe they drove it out of state.

Comment

Update:

Still no van

Insurance company now says no ONE tool can cost over $2,000.00

I had 2 tools that cost twice that

For those reviewing your policies, check the dollar payout amount for each item
                          So now they won't cover the costs?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            So now they won't cover the costs?

I was a afraid of this reality, but I almost knew it was coming because the words "replacement costs" were never mentioned.

It sucks because the insurance company gets away with not paying, and you almost always commit to that insurance, which puts money in their pockets.

That's the game with insurance; they don't have to tell you what is out there that's offered. All they have to do is give you what you asked for, that's it.

Now if you were mislead...every state has a division that deals with insurance regulations. There's a statement of "Errors and Omissions" that can hold an insurance agent liable if they didn't advise you of something you should have.

In Bill's situation, it wasn't along those lines. "We" know there should of been, but in a legal standpoint, the method to get all those tools replaced involve a laundry list of tracking serial numbers, pictures, purchase costs, then of course, replacement value insurance which is going to be significant, yearly since the insurance company knows they'll be paying out a good amount if an entire vehicle is involved.

And then they put caps on those payouts as well, like 6 grand or some ridiculous number.

An insurance policy is only as good as its exclusions, that's it.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

My insurance is covering my tool replacement but the companys insurance would not cover my tools, only the company tools and material

Comment

Working...
                              X