I'm stupid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stupid

I've been doing service and repair for about four years and I've recently started doing remodel work. It's a humbling experience. In a basement bathroom, three inch line runs across the basement and terminates at the new toilet flange. There is an existing cleanout headed out at the end of the building drain inside the basement. Do I need to install a three inch clean out at the end of my new line near the toilet. Customer dose not want a c.o. in the floor if we can avoid it. Contractor doesn't want to have a 6' wall just for a clean out. I would tell them that it has to be that way but I'm a little rusty on the code and not brimming over with confidence. Any body know Oregon code (upc ish) as it applies to this situation.????

Re: I'm stupid

I would think that the toilet could be removed for snaking the line therefore you would not need an extra c.o. My code is not upc, so that would be my guess.

Comment

Why not just call your local codes officer? Mine are always willing to talk things through before doing the work. Easier then having to tear it out if incorrect. In PA a co is needed.

Comment

I looked at the Oregon code awhile back and it was different.

If I understand you correctly, for here in NC it is NOT required by code.

J.C.

Comment

If something is a little iffy the inspectors here are happy to give a quick ruling to save making unnecessary batches of frownies on a rough in inspection.

Comment

All I can speak on is Illinois Code. And here in Illinois a water closet is not considered a clean out.

TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
            CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
            SUBCHAPTER r: WATER AND SEWAGE
            PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE
            SECTION 890.430 CLEANOUT EQUIVALENT

Section 890.430 Cleanout Equivalent

Fixture Trap. A fixture trap, readily removable and without disturbing concealed plumbing or requiring fixture removal, is acceptable as a cleanout equivalent, if there is no more than one (1) 90 degree bend on the line to be rodded. A water closet is not considered a cleanout equivalent.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            Ron's Facebook
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Can't help you with your code question, but would like to say stop calling yourself stupid.

I learned real quick when I started running my business that if I didn't know the answer, ask sombody that will (in your case inspector).

yeah, somebody along the way might give you grief for not knowing the answer, but who cares.

Stupid is full steam ahead into "I don't know what I'm doing" land.

Comment

I like the plumbing code from the old days "Crap runs downhill"

BTW - You're not stupid

Comment

You're not stupid! That's a good question. http://www.cbs.state.or.us/bcd/progr.../2008opsc.html

Click on Chapter 7 and check out 707.0

Comment

Basically any branch more than 5' off the main trunk line has to be served by a clean out. 707.4 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                      I've been doing service and repair for about four years and I've recently started doing remodel work. It's a humbling experience. In a basement bathroom, three inch line runs across the basement and terminates at the new toilet flange. There is an existing cleanout headed out at the end of the building drain inside the basement. Do I need to install a three inch clean out at the end of my new line near the toilet. Customer dose not want a c.o. in the floor if we can avoid it. Contractor doesn't want to have a 6' wall just for a clean out. I would tell them that it has to be that way but I'm a little rusty on the code and not brimming over with confidence. Any body know Oregon code (upc ish) as it applies to this situation.????
                      Where abouts are you plumbing in OR ? when did you turn out ? inquiring minds want to know.
                      sigpic
                      www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Is there any way you can put a 2 way clean out in an accessable area?
                        Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by alsdrainservice View Post
                          Is there any way you can put a 2 way clean out in an accessable area?
                          Now that's thinking out of the box. Most of the time it's just easier to continue the run of the branch line serving the wc to an area that is not architecturally sensitive. This tactic might mean running it quite a ways and even putting some bends in it, which is OK as long as you don't exceed 135° aggregate.

Comment

Hey from one service plumber to another would you rather pull the toilet possibly in a cramp bathroom trying to set up your machine or go to that nice c/o in the basement where you can have room to work. My theory on this do plumbing as you would do service.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBINGGOD2112 View Post
                              Hey from one service plumber to another would you rather pull the toilet possibly in a cramp bathroom trying to set up your machine or go to that nice c/o in the basement where you can have room to work. My theory on this do plumbing as you would do service.
                              Exactly. As my father used to say, "Be nice to the guy behind you, he might just be you".

Comment

Working...
                              X