X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle backup cameras

Anybody have one they like/dislike? Advantages of one type over another? I was thinking of getting Peak's wireless backup camera for 80.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Vehicle backup cameras

I have one on my new F-150 and I love it. The Ford factory camera has index lines that make hooking up to a trailer a snap.
    Ern

Comment

ben, stay away from the wireless cameras and monitors.

for a little bit more money you can have a wired system and have a perfect picture with no interference.

unless your into watching baby monitors

get the wired unit.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Which wired unit?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          unless your into watching baby monitors

A guy here had the wireless type in his camper. He picked up a a signal showing a household bath room. He reported it to the police.
          Turns out the owner set it up to watch andd record his wife and teen daughter while they were in the b/r. CLICK, CLICK, BOOM!!!
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Go to www.rvcams.com
            I purchased one for my truck from them

Comment

My experience and advice on the Peak Back-up camera: I bought one through a friends auto parts house, so I got it really cheap, note the word "CHEAP". Yes, I usually throw the instructions away until after I have successfully completed a project. Then I read them to see where the company made a mistake in the installation instructions, . The wiring with the Peak system was not long enough to fit my '07 GMC crew-cab, short-bed truck. I called the 1-800-Peak-give a shoot number for technical help. As soon as I stated that I was installing this camera in a pick-up truck I was informed that they DO NOT work on a pick up truck. None, at all, zip no-no. After talking with the techy, who was nice by the way, he told me that this was an everyday problem with them. The product was not labeled "DO NOT use on pick up trucks". It can be used on certain SUV's. The shorter ones, not the Tahoes, Suburbans, Tahoe XL's, etc. Just the little SUV's. He gave me a code number to send the unit back to Peak for a refund, a total refund. I told the truth about my pricing and he told me not to put the receipt in the box, to let them do a full recommended pricing refund for my troubles. I agreed, reluctantaly . So, my recommendation is: DO NOT use the Peak wireless back-up camera if you have a pick-up truck or large SUV. I would, now, use a wired system myself, if I persued this any longer. My two cents worth, Thanks, David
              Last edited by Thurman; 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have a commercial wired Sony unit ...love it ...I watch my boat with it :-)

Comment

Re: Vehicle backup cameras OLD SCHOOL

Dunbar and i, rely on sound, and jerk ! HIGHLAND,WE AIN'T !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think this what I'm going to get.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/index...-system-3.html
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I know you. You'll find one on Craigs for $5.00 and a pack of gum.

J.C.

Comment

Gear that looks good. I look at a backup camera like an extra layer of insurance. If there is a blind spot behind your truck that you can't see from the mirrors, the money you spend on the camera is a lot cheaper than a potential lawsuit if you were to hit someone or something. We have one on any truck with a blind spot.

Comment

Exactly why I spent the extra money on the side cameras. A 1ton truck can do some good damage before it sounds expensive.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

They sound like a good idea when you have blind spots. A construction worker was recently run over and killed by a dump truck here locally. And yes, the back up alarm was working at the time.

Comment

Working...
                            X