X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower valve Rough-in height?

I was just curious if there is a standard height on the books for tub spouts, shower valves and shower heads. I usually rough the spout in at 4" above the tub rim, shower valve 10" above the spout, and the head at 7 ft from the floor. What are all of your preferences?

Re: Shower valve Rough-in height?

I set my valve were it feels comfortable when i stand up in there tub..
    Most people shower any way.. the one sitting in the tub can still reach it

Comment

If you open the box, there is usually an annoying bit of really thin paper in there all folded up into a square. Carefully unfold it without tearing it and find the side and section that is printed in English. There you will find, in very fine print and illustration, the recommended installation height and such.

I usually set showers at 42 and the arm at 74-78
      sigpic

Comment

When in doubt, ask the HO. Beats doing it twice.
        Last edited by Plumbus; 08-20-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

There is no standard height. There are FAR to many variables. I put my valve 25 inches off the floor if I remember right for a tub, and just wing the tubspout to whatever I think looks good.

Shower valve height I take into consideration everything, such as the customers height, or if in a apartment, I base it off me. I am pretty "standard"

Comment

Originally posted by Macgoose View Post
            There is no standard height. There are FAR to many variables. I put my valve 25 inches off the floor if I remember right for a tub, and just wing the tubspout to whatever I think looks good.

Shower valve height I take into consideration everything, such as the customers height, or if in a apartment, I base it off me. I am pretty "standard"

I put the shower heads at 82".

One time that was too low. The home owner was 6'10" and wanted to beable to stand under his showerhead.

Valves at 40" for showers and 14" above the tub rim.
            Last edited by EasyEman; 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I usually do 86" for shower heads, i'm 6'2" and hate staring my shower head in the eye. So I just assume everyone else has this issue.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Macgoose View Post

The finished tub spout must have a 1" minimum air gap from the flood rim of the tub.

Then there are different distances for drops & risers for different mfg.

I follow code, mfg., and try to find an agreeable place for the customer staying within the tolerances of both.

J.C.

Comment

If kids are in the mix I'll discuss raising the spout to allow for head dowsing.
                  During the discussion the 6'-6" older teenager is agknowledged and given a shower head stub-out of 7'-0" with a valve heighth of 42".

Now if this was for a little old lady the spout stays a few inches above flood rim,valve at 28",head at 68".

Everyone gets asked.

"You want the tub flipped so you don't have to deal with the toilet?"

Comment

My bathroom has a waterfall spout at 32", a shower-head at 72" and a second shower-head at 84". Then on the opposite wall I have a handheld shower mounted on a sliding bar.

mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My pop's favorite fixture height story involved a bathroom at a Buddhist temple pre ADA. When the bathroom was completed the leader of the congregation did a walk through and immediately called my father. He said everything looked great, but there was one little problem. The men of his flock were going to need a step stool to use the urinals. Hard to argue with such logic.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        My bathroom has a waterfall spout at 32", a shower-head at 72" and a second shower-head at 84". Then on the opposite wall I have a handheld shower mounted on a sliding bar.

mark

Spa Style! Do you pipe in the sound of birds chirping?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          If you open the box, there is usually an annoying bit of really thin paper in there all folded up into a square. Carefully unfold it without tearing it and find the side and section that is printed in English. There you will find, in very fine print and illustration, the recommended installation height and such.

It always helps to RTFM, but for some it is the last thing they do.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            The finished tub spout must have a 1" minimum air gap from the flood rim of the tub.

Then there are different distances for drops & risers for different mfg.

I follow code, mfg., and try to find an agreeable place for the customer staying within the tolerances of both.

J.C.
                            Here, spout size and type are also factors.
                            Attachment
                            Attached Files
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

Isn't 74" on the low side figuring in the goose neck and S.head drop?
                              I like 7' but always ask the owner
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X