Wirsbo vs ANY water system.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wirsbo vs ANY water system.

glad i worked late today. i missed all the fun.

we should invite him to the roundup so we can show him how all the old timers school the youngsters

copper will be around forever as there is no outright substitute for it.

remember that pex is not uv rated. also pex is limited to 2'' i believe.

true, copper is not foolproof as we all know from hot water circ. lines.

but unless all your doing is small scale residential installs, there will always be a need for plumbers that know how to work with copper.

same can be said with csst gas pipe, abs, pvc waste, cpvc water.

believe it or not, i still prefer a leaded/ caulked on closet ring.

yes, years down the line, us old timers will not be around, but our work will be

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I assume by pex you mean polyethlene piping as I use a piping system called Rehau and have been using it at least six years now, as its taken a while for this old dog like me to learn a new trick as I have been using copper for ever.
      Rehau can used inside and outside, above and below ground, with hot and cold water, I don't have to lag it when cemented in walls and no problems with water hammer as you can have with copper, where I live 60% of new installation is done with it, the only problem that I can see is that there are to many pex systems on the market and each one has its own tool system to install them and a plumber in the future will have trouble getting the right tool to connect or repair them.

Tony

Comment

If I may speak for the younger gen of plumbers, ( about ten years exp ) I still use copper regularly!
        Many repair jobs on existing homes work out far better, cheaper, easier if you replace same for same! ie copper.
        PEX or cross linked polyethelene cannot be installed outside and definately cannot be used in high temp situations such as flow and return lines from solar panels which EVERY single new house built has to have by law if a rainwater tank isnt used as a substitute to flush the water closets.
        I too run a lot of rehau and will not touch pro-fit, yorkflex and the like.
        I also still regularly run copper gas lines and below ground water lines as well. TRACEABLE and hardy!
        We would call the likes of you a wanker in oz

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          In this trade, if you reach a point where you think you can't learn anymore, it's time to find a different line of work. Changes happen daily. New ideas, new products, rehashes of old ideas, This is a living trade, it has a personality and it changes. You do have to change with it, and learn as you go. But as soon as you lose the pride you can take at the end of a job, you'll find it won't take long after that until you start hating your career choice. In my opinion thats part of why pex is resisted so forcefully, Its hard to look at big loops of pipe and think "good job"
          Agreed, craftsmanship is a attitude that you develop as you learn. It's an essential part of your training. If all you are taught is "just get it done" and the "can't see it from my house" attitude with respect to quality then you will never be a craftsman, you'll just be a hack who can stick pieces of pipe together.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Well goose is you stick around long enough,,
            you might get a job pulling all your SPAGHETTI OUT
            I still cuss the old don't even need a tape measure polybutylene plumbers

Comment

Propress is nice, but with the cost of fittings, sorta a emergency only option[/QUOTE]

I use the complete Viega Pureflow pex system, that includes using the Viega ProPress fittings. Viega makes a single fitting that transitions from ProPress to Pureflow Pex. Does Uponor? No they don't. Viega has this little baby wrapped up and that's the reason I'm not using Uponor anymore.
              http://www.viega.net/

Other reasons I'm not using Uponor: Extremely slow compared to Viega Pureflow. I can put together at least 4 fittings before you could expand and put together one Uponor fitting, no kidding. I don't have to wait to test, I live in an extremely cold winter climate, I don't have time to wait for Uponor to contract, no thank you. Uponor is still making brass fittings for transition, they suck to put it mildly, you still have to solder and half the time they leak. IMO they are garbage. Viega makes Bronze sweat transition fittings along with all their fittings, they are bronze and with the Viega PPxPex I don't even have to solder them anymore.

No, the ProPress is not just for emergencies when you're using the complete system. I did a repipe today, removed a mix of galvy and copper. Installed over 500' of Viega Pex and had to transition from a few copper risers that were in concrete, used the ProPress x Pex fitting, it has it's uses.

Comment

It's already over, you came to the party too late
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  It's already over, you came to the party too late
                  I was working.

Comment

Originally posted by Macgoose View Post
                    There is more money to be made installing pex. That is the bottom line. You can install more plumbing in less time. Cheaper jobs, with just the same level of craftsmanship. You are letting money pass by you. That's cool, other companies don't mind soaking it up. Finals are still killer, and inspections are still passing. But hey, stick with that old mentality. Younger guys are getting rich, faster than you are getting by.

And the installs while not on 90 degree angles, still look decent! They do sell 90s, and you can straighten the pipe out....

Disclaimer: Please do not hold this persons comments as typical of all Okies.

Hack, Hack, Hackity, Hack

Azzhat

Okiebill
                    Last edited by OkieBill; 08-21-2009, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      Disclaimer: Please do not hold this persons comments as typical of all Okies.

Hack, Hack, Hackity, Hack

Azzhat

Okiebill
                      Funny, that is the exact reply I anticipated from you.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I do run a lot of 2 inch copper for commercial jobs. The water mains in strip malls, commercial kitchens, etc. some of them even transition to below slab pex once you get to the unit. Copper meets the fire ratings for passing through the 2 1 hour firewalls on each unit, all we have to do is fire caulk both sides. With pex i'd imagine we'd have to put an expanding fire collar around it. I'm curious how the pex will hold up over time when exposed to the daily grease, heat, and vibrations from one of those commercial kitchens.

like has been said earlier, pex has it's place, it is not Every job.
                        Just because it's allowed doesn't make it the best.

where I learned to plumb we couldn't have a water line fitting below slab, had to use roll piping and daisy chain through walls. Here they'll allow a brazed or glued joint, but not a crimp ring.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Copper has been used for thousands of years in water piping by romans and even egyptians. No problems yet.

Plastic? Who knows what problems the future will bring. I'm guessing cancer of some sort or maybe handling it often causes you to act like a no talent *** clown on forums.

Comment

I guess mcchimp doesn't work in many industrial, power or nuclear facilities. I do. No pex there.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                              I wouldn't be able to stand having crooked pipes ..
                              Quality work is the only enjoyment i get
                              Even the floats on my 4 wheeler are straight
                              There are ways to make a pex job look real neat. I treat my pex the same as I do copper. Keep it nice and striaght. You just have'nt seen one of my pex jobs. I have other plumbers tell me that its the best they ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Macgoose View Post
                                Not really sure, but when there is sheetrock up, doesn't matter how crooked your pipes are. Copper and galv are trash.

Why would you even think of running it? Cause it looks purdy?

OMFG ARE YOU SERIOUS????? WTF You have got alot to learn man.....Quality is never an accident. My master taught me that and I have lived those words sense he said that to me.....I would love to see some pics of your work LOVE TO!!!!!

I want to see any of this in pex so bad please please show me please!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X