X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 by 4 stringers for fiberglass tubs?

I'm used to installing the pressure treated 2 by 4 stringers for the backs of cast iron and steel tubs but I'm not sure if I should use them for fiberglass units. I'm installing a couple dozen Kohler Devonshire whirlpool tubs soon and they are a well contructed unit. I even checked the manual and it advises to set them in mortar and screw them to each stud only...as I've always done. Have any of you guys had trouble in the future by not putting in stringers also?

Re: 2 by 4 stringers for fiberglass tubs?

I make sure the floor is aproximately 1/2" below the base of the tub by building it up with stringers and plywood. Than I use some paper and finally some mixed in buckets. Works every time and the clean up is easy.

Comment

I put visqueen between base material and tub.Makes for an easy removal when the change order comes.
      Lath paper between base and floor.If plywood swells and separates it will lift your tub.

Comment

sheet of tar paper on the floor, then mortar, then another sheet of tar paper right as the tub gets set in place. screw the flange all the way around. haven't had any problems yet.

Corner tubs do get 2x4 untreated lumber nailed in horizontally to help support the tub, I use untreated because it doesn't tend to shrink as bad as treated.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I did a tub i think a/s where no stringer ,it came with clips . ans structo lite

Comment

Same here, stringers & mud, visqueen / tyvec to keep mud from contact with ply

Comment

Working...
            X