Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

It getting downright MEAN around here...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It getting downright MEAN around here...

In the last two weeks I have TWO personal referrals bail on me. One cancelled on me with the hope of a "reschedule." To which I have not heard back from the referral. I did leave her a message today.

The other "estimate" started back in April, with an appointment date of early June. I spent a lot of time with this guy, gave him special treatment because of the guy who referred him to me. Well June passes by, I call and am told they dont have the money. Ok, call me when ready.

I get a call early last week. They want it done the next day. I cannot do that and suggest scheduling for this week. Ok. They need to decide what type of water heater they need, and an estimate for some extra work. I let them know the extra estimate can be given to them when I am out there next week. They say they will call me back later that day. I get a call about 6pm that day.
    "We were waiting for you to come out and give us an estimate."
    "I was going to give you the extra estimate next Wed when I come out to do work, I can get there by this Saturday."
    "We are busy all day, I will call you shortly."

Never heard back, called today and was told I was no longer needed. No call, no explanation...I expect this from total STRANGERS!

Sure, I never met the guy until the referral. But the referral was by a guy I know real well, and they are good friends. The first referral was the same situation.

Oh wait, I just got a voicemail. A contractor looking for a bid on a basement...has to have the absolute lowest price I can go. Says customers are not wanting to pay a lot. BS.

Re: It getting downright MEAN around here...

my boss is bidding on jobs that are given to us any other time and there are at least 10 others bidding on the same job

we are not getting the work because we do the job right and the others are taking short cuts .
    the ones getting the work done dont know what type of work they are getting
    so we figure that after the year warranty is up we will get a call to fix it

pay us now or pay a lot more later
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

i dont wait for calls back---u have to be aggressive------------- i dont ever hang up with a customer and not schedule the time---now, because u didnt schedule a time, u lost all chances ----probably to some roto rootin hack con artist

Comment

people arent mean, you just are slackin a bit----in this economy, u have to be aggressive--not playing phone tag--people want dependable, not replaceable

Comment

I did schedule both jobs. Maybe I was not so clear about that. Sorry.

#1 called to reschedule, #2 was scheduled for Wed morn.

Comment

This won't go well with others...

but I'm rolling completely different with my business where I just keep moving forward and always let the customer know that when you call, it's your one and only chance to schedule because it's a moving target.

If someone calls me and says, I'll call you thursday to schedule, don't expect me to have friday open. I'll be lining out calls along the way and some calls will overlap and extend into the next days.

I've been tossing some repeat customers lately that have no respect for a time schedule as I have lots going on.

I'll be reasonable, but I certainly do not sit at the shop waiting for the phone to ring. Apparently they feel this is the case.

I lose work this way by not stopping the world but that's a decision they'll make for themselves, and I'm glad some of them choose to be impatient because I'll remember.

There's a few of my past customers that understand their new working relationship with another was me exercising my unwillingness to be a mexican jumping bean thinking I should wipe out my customer base just because they spent money with me prior.

As long as that phone still rings...I cannot play favorites when I'm given such limited time to act on.

Anyone that tells me their plumbing has been backed up for days and they are a repeat customer, and they need it done immediately can go F((K off and find a new plumber. I treat people too good to be **** on like that, not respecting my time.

This is what has kept me from doing follow-ups with my customers; I don't know which ones are loyal to me, which ones aren't and there's no magic button or signal from that customer base that'll tell you if your mailings are getting pitched or your gimmick coupons are going to be used.

I love loyalty from my customers, but I also appreciate one time experiences as well...I did my job well in exchange for a fee, have a nice life.

Every single damn work relationship I've seen grow over time becomes a damn bartering game, and recently I had to toss a longstanding customer of mine because he was playing "lets make a deal" with a toilet repair against a toilet replacement.

He kept hee-hawing back and forth on what I would charge, and I stood my ground as I'm not going to flat rate the task, especially with the notion the flange could be all F'd up.

Never heard back from him, I'll see him soon with an outdoor event.

I'll be busy the next time he calls as well...no more ïnstant service as that just got tossed with not rewarding me that work that was discussed for 10 minutes on the phone. 10 minutes of my time wasted because someone just didn't want to do it themselves.

And how fun is it when you have to deal with a total stranger you can't beat down on pricing?

You're gonna find out if you think I'm a pushover in this biz.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

That great if you can do that Dunbar but would you have the same train of thought if your wasn't ringing?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We all do what We have to. When You move ,You have no Cust. base, to back You up.

That's difficult in good times. These times,impossible. Good luck to You and family. Tool
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  That great if you can do that Dunbar but would you have the same train of thought if your wasn't ringing?

Yes because I recall when I was a pushover in business, in the beginning, and I can't even look at those job tickets looking at the punishment I put myself through.

I always look at where I started, where I came from, and where I'm headed...and figure it's all going to work out in the end. At this point I can't worry about those who want rock bottom from me or hustle me down because they are taking advantage of a working relationship.

I find myself more and more separating from those paths as letting those people know that it is offensive, and just because you know me shouldn't allow you to think I'm fair game on the cost.

Offering the world might get the phone ringing but at some point you're a punching bag and your competition is laughing at the sacrifice.

People don't realize the efforts involving what it takes to be a business in today's world, and that doesn't mean being a sacrificial lamb to the customer.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

95% of my work is referral. These are the only ones that went bad...so far.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                      95% of my work is referral. These are the only ones that went bad...so far.
                      ooooooh, you are screwed, then. Good luck.
                      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

In this tough economy, I'm getting clobbered by unlicenced, uninsured, handyman hacks taking the lions share of work in my area. In the end, alot more people will learn their lesson that they get what they pay for. But in the meantime, work is very slow for us licenced plumbers.

Comment

Working...
                        X