If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You will be required to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
It doesn't matter if you've been on the job one day or 30 years, a simple thing like not using a GFCI or a trouble light with an enclosed lamp can be a killer. What if he had been working on a gas line and there was a concentration close to the LEL(lower explosive limit)? Would/could the whole wing of the hotel have gone boom?
Everyone, get rid of those old time trouble lamps and use a low voltage type light or a cordless light. Yes, they cost more, but they are significantly cheaper than the price this man paid. And I mean no disrespect to him by saying that. If you work for someone else ask for a safe replacement for the old style trouble lamp, they are not OSHA compliant and a employer giving you that tool to work with is asking for trouble if you were to be injured because of it.
i'm also a sparky. why can't you put lights on gfci's? i know that if you trip gfci's the lights go out. whoopee. i wire temp cords all the time for the gc's they are all on gfci's. no gfci wire it yourself. i'm easy to get along with. just ask mom. on second thought don't. breid............
Good idea to have a nice worklight, but carry an LED light in your pocket as a backup. Nothing worse than being 150' from an opening under a building when the light runs out of juice.
It's not just trouble lights that are the problem - but buildings with old or bad wiring where you have to crawl, or leaky systems that are grounded to the plumbing. When you disconnect the union, you become the ground.
About 10-years ago I was on a case where the Widow of the plumber was suing the homeowner because her husband was electrocuted under the house. The job was a kitchen remodel where they were moving the wall back 10' or so. There was an existing hose bib on the back wall so the plumber disconnected the bib including the ground wire to the panel and climbed under the house. His light did not get him but his old sawzall did when he cut out the pipe the bib and ground wire use to be on.
It is just one more reminder how fast we can get in trouble.