Comment

Re: plumber dies under hotel

wow that is sad and scary
      Mike
      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Is it safe to say, this guy would of lived if his cord would of had a GFCI connection to it?

I know they say you're not supposed to use those for lights.

I bet cold water hit that light, cracked the bulb and the water he was sitting in, killed him.

I would think he sat there getting shocked for quite a while as well, 110volts not letting up.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Eye opening reminder. I know I have been underneath with a drop light myself.

For years now I've used rechargeable lights/flashlights instead.

But I have had my azz lit up many times by pump controls. 110V & 220V.

J.C.

Comment

Unproperly grounded power tools in a wet crawl space will also light you up. At least they've done so to me.

Comment

It doesn't matter if you've been on the job one day or 30 years, a simple thing like not using a GFCI or a trouble light with an enclosed lamp can be a killer. What if he had been working on a gas line and there was a concentration close to the LEL(lower explosive limit)? Would/could the whole wing of the hotel have gone boom?

Everyone, get rid of those old time trouble lamps and use a low voltage type light or a cordless light. Yes, they cost more, but they are significantly cheaper than the price this man paid. And I mean no disrespect to him by saying that. If you work for someone else ask for a safe replacement for the old style trouble lamp, they are not OSHA compliant and a employer giving you that tool to work with is asking for trouble if you were to be injured because of it.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 08-28-2009, 09:51 AM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Man, we suit up, lay wood, plastic, or whatever it takes, over the water and use those waterproof lights with fluorescent bulbs...
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

RIP. And, wow, I sure learned a lesson re something not to do!!!!

I'll use battery powered lamps.

Comment

i'm also a sparky. why can't you put lights on gfci's? i know that if you trip gfci's the lights go out. whoopee. i wire temp cords all the time for the gc's they are all on gfci's. no gfci wire it yourself. i'm easy to get along with. just ask mom. on second thought don't. breid............

Comment

OSHA says if you are working out side you need to use a GFI
                      if you need an extension cord you need a GFI
                      and they also say you need to know about confined spaces

not enough people think of safety first , i see ti all the time with big cuts in cords and ladders not tied off to roofs

Learn the hard way
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Good idea to have a nice worklight, but carry an LED light in your pocket as a backup. Nothing worse than being 150' from an opening under a building when the light runs out of juice.

It's not just trouble lights that are the problem - but buildings with old or bad wiring where you have to crawl, or leaky systems that are grounded to the plumbing. When you disconnect the union, you become the ground.

Comment

About 10-years ago I was on a case where the Widow of the plumber was suing the homeowner because her husband was electrocuted under the house. The job was a kitchen remodel where they were moving the wall back 10' or so. There was an existing hose bib on the back wall so the plumber disconnected the bib including the ground wire to the panel and climbed under the house. His light did not get him but his old sawzall did when he cut out the pipe the bib and ground wire use to be on.
                          It is just one more reminder how fast we can get in trouble.

Mark
                          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM.
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm sorry for the families loss and I will take the lesson to heart...

My drop light has already gone to the trash and I'm now shopping for a couple of alternate light sources...

My three little ones would miss me just as much as this plumbers three children are going to miss him

Bill

Comment

I use headlights.

I give headlights to those I feel need them.

They also have the advantage of eliminating that dead zone when the work is in your shadow.

The last time I drug a 500w under a house was only to scatter a black widow bloom at the end of the home where the cast separated.Didn't have to hurt one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X