started a topic plumber dies under hotel

plumber dies under hotel

here is the link. i will post more has I find out more
    http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/55172822.html

• Drip Trip
    replied
    Re: plumber dies under hotel

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    you may not be allowed to make your own cord but i'm sure you can still buy the ready made cords. they are about 3' long. plug your cord into that. also about the cell phone, put it in zipper bag. breid..........
    I bought a bunch of these and taped them to the cords. Nobody up here had inline gfi cords longer than 3'. I really wanted 50', but the hardware geek convinced me that the shorter cords are better for maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    replied

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
    Soooo i take it That working in a hole with rain running in and Running the Sawzall off the NON Gfi Generator was Not the Best Idea

You're going to have to explain the picture because I cants figure it out...

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

i have two typs the one with a little pig tail on ot and the one that just plugs into the outlet then the cord goes into it

Leave a comment:

• breid1903
    replied

been to the critter show or i would have posted this earlier. google "gfci ul listed and osha cords". take your pick of the litter. these are what i'm talking about. stay out of the trees. breid.............

Leave a comment:

• breid1903
    replied

you may not be allowed to make your own cord but i'm sure you can still buy the ready made cords. they are about 3' long. plug your cord into that. also about the cell phone, put it in zipper bag. breid..........
    Last edited by breid1903; 08-30-2009, 02:02 PM. Reason: can't spell

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    we can buy a short chunk of wire with a gcfi molded on the end. make one if you can't buy one.
    you cant do this it wont be UL listed and OSHA wont allow it

Leave a comment:

• HVAC HAWK
    replied

why not the GFI will trip if it is two wet

Leave a comment:

• NoeEttica
    replied

Soooo i take it That working in a hole with rain running in and Running the Sawzall off the NON Gfi Generator was Not the Best Idea

Leave a comment:

• breid1903
    replied

i'm also a sparky. gfci's work on 2 wire circuits. you still need the ground. the ground will NOT necessarily save your life by itself. if you are in contact with the earth or anything that will conduct electricity some the electricity will go through you some to the ground rod. if you have the drill with the hot skin, well you will bear the blunt of the short. if you line up 10 people and they all grab a hot wire, everybody get shocked. try it if you don't believe. we can buy a short chunk of wire with a gcfi molded on the end. make one if you can't buy one. if you keep losing it i will sell you one for $500.00 free shipping. i'll bet you don't lose it then. i don't have time to came to your funeral. breid.....

Leave a comment:

• Bob D.
    replied

Accidents 'happen' because we let them happen. Take a minute to
    think through what you are about to do and ask yourself "What can
    go wrong?". And if you can answer those questions with a response
    that will keep you or someone else safe then you are good to go in
    most cases. If not you need to figure out what it will take to do the
    job safely and then work it that way.

Sure, work is slow and times are tough, but that is no reason to
    take unnecessary risk. Life will be even tougher for those you leave
    behind.

Just because you didn't get killed the last time you used that drill motor
    while in a crawl space doesn't mean it can't happen this time.

GFCIs trip on a 5mA variance between the hot leg and neutral, this is
    significantly less than a 'surge'.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-29-2009, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Drip Trip
    replied

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
    Many homes I work in do not have grounded outlets. Would a GFCI work without a ground? I'm thinking not.

Yeah, they do. GFIs trip when there's a surge. If the dead plumber had one, he'd be alive today, unless he got bit by a killer cockroach or a insane customer.

Leave a comment:

• Tyman
    replied

Rick, I think we would like to think we have the upper hand but accidents happen. Times are slow right now, and I'm not saying anything, I'll just try to work smarter.

BTW, the propress is still overpriced. Just teasing.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

ty, if you seriously have to check in with your wife on a daily basis because of fear from the days work, you need to find a safer job.

sure plumbing can be very dangerous, but we should have the upper hand at what is safe and what is risky.

sounds like you're in a situation everyday that is not safe.

sure joey checks in with me and mark multiple times a day, but it's usually to see what time i'm finishing.

ty, reassess your present position and honestly talk to the boss. sounds like you're not the only one at the company who is put into these situations.

rick.

Leave a comment:

• Tyman
    replied

Many homes I work in do not have grounded outlets. Would a GFCI work without a ground? I'm thinking not.

I work alone like many guys here, and dying in a crawl space is one of my worst fears. Often cell phones don't work and, most of time I take it off if it's a wet area I am going into. I am at so many addresses in the course of a day I couldn't tell the 911 operator where I was. The people at the shop have no idea where I'm at during the day.

Asking for help because you're going into a crawl space sounds nice. It's not going to happen. Complaining about it just makes you out to be a bad employee known as a whiner and when times get slow, you'll be the first to go.

I have discussed this with my wife and have now came to the conclusion that if I'm not home by 6:00 to call me, and if I don't answer, call the boss. It won't save my life but at least they will have a good start on finding my body. Seriously, we do this.

I feel terrible for his family and what he must have endured during his last moments on earth.
    Last edited by Tyman; 08-29-2009, 08:45 AM. Reason: had time to cool off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X