Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenox one tooth hole saw for cabinets?

I have read the precautions about the one tooth hole saw bits but how would they perform on MDF cabinets. I am running 1-1/2" and will be using escucheons so they don't have to be perfect holes.

Re: Lenox one tooth hole saw for cabinets?

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
    I have read the precautions about the one tooth hole saw bits but how would they perform on MDF cabinets. I am running 1-1/2" and will be using escucheons so they don't have to be perfect holes.
    Get you a piece of the material and do a couple of test holes. Then you'll know if you're gonna' rip the finish outside your escucheon area.

Or, if I'm reading you right, you've got a bunch of work. Get you a couple of new/traditional holesaws and turn baby turn.

J.C.

Comment

I have had great luck with the dewalt self feed bits in MDF.

Comment

You're talking about a circle cutter.

Those work OK at slow speeds on a drill press, but they don't work so well in a hand held drill.

I would stick to hole saws or a rotozip. With a little practice you can do good work with one of those.

Back in the old days I'd just drill a hole and use the jig saw to finish it out.

Comment

get the new miwaukee 3 tooth carbide hole saws. they have 3 teethe instead of the 1.

of course if you break through with the pilot, then turn the bit from the other side to make a real clean hole. if it's the backside of the cabinet, you'll never, ever see it until the cabinets are torn out 20 years later

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Use the old fashion hole saw,I'm a carpenter.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tool, there is no comparison between the old school hole saw and the new style 1 or 3 tooth design.

a couple advantages are the amount of torque developed while drilling is next to nothing. at a trade show, i drilled a 4'' plus hole with only 1 hand on the drill

the plug that gets wedged in your old school bit, will just fall out on the new style.

the bits are easily resharpenable in the field.

tool, any reason other than drilling metal, you haven't switched over

i'll give this to you for free, but you still owe me the cow

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I used my 2-1/4" Milwaukee self feed bit today for the cabinets....worked GREAT! It had hardly any tear out.

Comment

Use TCT hole cutter for MDF

You will get the fastest cutting, fastest plug removal, longest cutter life, and smoothest cutting operation with one of the modern TCT tungsten carbide tipped designs with multiple large teeth and multiple large gullets or side slots.

I tried a 2-1/8" Lenox one tooth on a piece of OSB and it was more than I really wanted to handle with a hand drill. It jerks and catches and is the worst hole saw I have ever used. Even an old fashioned self feed bit is better.

The Milwaukee Hawg hole cutters have the right design but the tips are high speed steel and quickly dull with MDF and they are available in a very limited number of sizes.

The best hole cutters I have found are the Blue Boar TCT hole cutters which are in sizes from 5/8" up to 6-1/4" and cut through MDF in seconds, literally 3-5 seconds depending upon your drill. I have used them with fiberglass, brick, Hardie siding, OSB, as well as MDF, and they are fast, the plug just falls out, and they just keep cutting and cutting. I was cutting vent holes in a cement board soffit and after two holes the Lenox bi-metal hole saw I was using was no longer usable. I cut the remaining 23 holes with one of the Blue Boar TCT hole cutters in minutes.

I have found that cutting holes in MDF cabinets with bi-metal hole saws (which really are just high speed steel) the hole saws are good for only a couple holes and tend to burn the material even then. The Lenox carbide are no better and it actually takes even longer to get the plug out than with a bi-metal saw.

The Lenox One Tooth use a single high speed steel tooth and are the last thing I would use for anything. It is slow taking 10x as long as a TCT hole cutter (I had a friend time me on a piece of scrap material), hard to manage, makes a very rough hole, does not last long without constant resharpening, and is over-priced.

I am suspicious of anyone who claims hundreds of holes without resharpening but also wants to sell me a diamond file, or like Milwaukee includes one in their kits.

If you only cut hard and soft woods the Milwaukee Hawg cutters work very well. If you plan to cut other materials as well one of the TCT hole cutters is a much better tool and will save you a lot of money on hole saws even on a single job.

Comment

Working...
                  X