X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CSST the way I do it!

Again, considering all the lawsuits and the states that have banned it, I can't believer any of you guys would use the stuff. Sure it saves some time. Time that you can use to rebuild your business and life after the lawyers take it all away Sorry but installed by the book or hacked in, I wouldn't touch this stuff with a 10 foot pole. Have Ridgid 300, will travel.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      bill, you must be a slow reader

sure if your running a nipple and a couple 90's that's 1 thing.

but if you have any real distance with any offsets, the csst is the faster of the products.

compare what electricians use flex and the ones that run pipe.

all we need is a proper tubing cutter, razor knife and proper adjustable open end wrenches.

the plate protection is no slower than protecting copper.

as far as grounding, it's alwys been the electricians job to bond all our piping.

the trade off is material cost vrs. labor savings.

1 cost savings is to use a combination of csst for the drops and a steel system for the main with tees.

rick.
      Rick is there any labor savings if the Electrician has to add time to the job to ground our CSST?

When all is said and done at the end of the day yes it may be a less labor intensive install for us but total labor is still the same (lots of offsets withstanding) IMO...

CSST has it's place as a speciality product for certain situations but it should not be used as a replacement / implied improvement over steel pipe

Is the customer getting a beter product with CSST or are they getting something that is just easier for us as plumbers to install?

We all know the answer to that last question

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        I have a question

Looking at the pictures while pretty and all you are missing one vital component...

Grounding... Where are your grounding wires?

Lightning strikes are the main cause of failure for Gastite after installation.

Somebody correct me If I'm wrong...

Bill
        OkieBill, Thanks for bringing this to my attention. No, the electrician has not started on this job yet. Unfortately, I was unaware of the bonding process. That was not covered in the class I took. Now I know. Even the building inspectors have not brought this to my attention. I just read the 2009 Wardflex installation guide on bonding. They suggest bonding to the meter stub out. Will that work. I know there is thousands of feet of CSST installed in my area that is not grounded. If so, I never have seen it.
        Oh BTW, thanks for the complement on my work.

Comment

A great read on CSST

http://www.toolbase.org/pdf/techinv/...ngconcerns.pdf

Bill

Comment

The more I'm reading....

I stand corrected if all that is required is a bonding strap from the CSST to a good ground.

I have always been under the impression that a conductor had to be run with each CSST branch line to act as a conductive path.

Always learning

Comment

no different than what we have to do with steel gas pipe.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                The more I'm reading....

I stand corrected if all that is required is a bonding strap from the CSST to a good ground.

I have always been under the impression that a conductor had to be run with each CSST branch line to act as a conductive path.

Always learning

my understanding is that if the grounding wire contacts the csst itself, and a spark were to carry through it could burn a hole in the thin stainless.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                  Is that an attic? Does it get drywall or insulation of any sort? It just seems weird to me to see gas piping mounted on studs like that cause I live in a cold climate. Just curious.

Good thread and great job.
                  -Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                    OkieBill, Thanks for bringing this to my attention. No, the electrician has not started on this job yet. Unfortately, I was unaware of the bonding process. That was not covered in the class I took. Now I know. Even the building inspectors have not brought this to my attention. I just read the 2009 Wardflex installation guide on bonding. They suggest bonding to the meter stub out. Will that work. I know there is thousands of feet of CSST installed in my area that is not grounded. If so, I never have seen it.
                    Oh BTW, thanks for the complement on my work.
                    You are an honest Guy! Upsetting ,Your inspectors are lacking !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

From Mike Holt's Forum:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showpost....86&postcount=9
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
                        Is that an attic? Does it get drywall or insulation of any sort? It just seems weird to me to see gas piping mounted on studs like that cause I live in a cold climate. Just curious.

Good thread and great job.
                        -Mark
                        This is in a new home. Yes it is in an attic. The manifold is mounted to an exterior wall so you can find it after insulation is blown. There will not be insulation or drywall on that part of the wall, only in living space.

Comment

Ok cool, Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

I think that a hanger for any gas line should be metal. Not j clips that can melt and cause undo strain on the gas line in the event of a fire.

Comment

Looking again is that pipe dope and or white tape on the brass fittings? Aluminium hangers on blk header. Those screws holding the hangers look like green deck screws/ drywall screws. Was this gas line sized or will 1/2 coming in supply three appliances? and if it was 3/4 was it sized for 3/4 going to all appliances. Absolutley not the way I do it.

Comment

Originally posted by snake View Post
                                I think that a hanger for any gas line should be metal. Not j clips that can melt and cause undo strain on the gas line in the event of a fire.
                                Originally posted by snake View Post
                                Looking again is that pipe dope and or white tape on the brass fittings? Aluminium hangers on blk header. Those screws holding the hangers look like green deck screws/ drywall screws. Was this gas line sized or will 1/2 coming in supply three appliances? and if it was 3/4 was it sized for 3/4 going to all appliances. Absolutley not the way I do it.
                                in defense of tim and other certified and licensed installers

a "counter sales" person is in no position to give trushworty advice on a product that they don't have a clue on.

tool, please tell me why you thanked him

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X