Name:  911cad75ea3b2d2c8328642e44454047.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  174.8 KB

Re: CSST the way I do it!

Oh yes... that's....ah.... nice
    sigpic

Comment

i use gastite as i've got a large inventory of fittings. typical is a pool redo under the house and to avoid a lot of concrete cutting.

i man can run an entire new 1.5''-2'' pool line from point a to point b in a hour, then tie into the meter and pool in a couple of hours the job is done.

sure you pay for the product, but you save the toll on the body when you're all alone under the house

same goes with a quick bbq line or dryer gas line.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Oh yes... that's....ah.... nice
        you know, I normally advocate their being a place for a material, depending on the situation. Thats just one of those materials I do not trust, a water leak warps the floor boards, maybe rots a sill plate. a gas leak burns the house down.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

not really. a gas leak has a better chance to blow up the house than to burn it down

like anything else we do. if it's installed by certified plumbers in the correct and proper manner. i feel it's safer.

the pipe has alot of give without breaking. less joints to leak and a material that doesn't rot.

the product is as safe as the people who work with it.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Considering the number of states that have banned it and the number of lawsuits that it has against it in a short period of time I would not even consider using it for anything, anywhere. But then, I tend to be overly cautious with my bank account.
            sigpic

Comment

My company uses it, and so far, with no problems. I choose not to, but I bid jobs with black iron in mind so we don't lose out on anything.

Not sure if its IPC or a Springfield MO ammendment, but we have to have Continuous support for it on any horizontal run. so we'd have to nail in a 2x4, lay the piping on it, then tube talon it down. Our local amendment also requires any vertical runs of it to be sheathed in rigid metal conduit and still have striker plates over the conduit. After dealing with all that i'd rather drag the threader off the truck.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have a question

Looking at the pictures while pretty and all you are missing one vital component...

Grounding... Where are your grounding wires?

Lightning strikes are the main cause of failure for Gastite after installation.

Somebody correct me If I'm wrong...

Bill

Comment

You are indeed correct Bill, but that's usually left to an electrician and maybe he ain't been there yet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    You are indeed correct Bill, but that's usually left to an electrician and maybe he ain't been there yet.
                    Electricians ground a plumbers Gastite??? I always run it myself and save the tie-in for the electrician.

I gotta go get my installers book but I'm pretty sure by the book you have to run a seperate conductor/ground along with each of the CSST runs.

Bill

Comment

I was under the "possibly misinformed" impression that the grounding was only to be applied to the brass fittings, and not to the csst itself. kind of led me to believe it just needed one wire on each run, touching that first nut.

but like I said, I don't really use the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        I was under the "possibly misinformed" impression that the grounding was only to be applied to the brass fittings, and not to the csst itself. kind of led me to believe it just needed one wire on each run, touching that first nut.

but like I said, I don't really use the stuff.

I think you are right... The goal is for the CSST to never be the conductor so grounding from points of connection (brass fittings) is the way to go...

Comment

It has been my experience that if you install CSST by the book it is a bit slower then a B I install IMO.

Count your joints, time your threads with Steel then time your CSST connections and install your grounding and see which is faster..

I'm faster at threading and save a few bucks on materials as well...

Not to mention which is more nail , kink, crush resistant

Comment

I ain't no stinkin electrician.
                            sigpic

Comment

bill, you must be a slow reader

sure if your running a nipple and a couple 90's that's 1 thing.

but if you have any real distance with any offsets, the csst is the faster of the products.

compare what electricians use flex and the ones that run pipe.

all we need is a proper tubing cutter, razor knife and proper adjustable open end wrenches.

the plate protection is no slower than protecting copper.

as far as grounding, it's alwys been the electricians job to bond all our piping.

the trade off is material cost vrs. labor savings.

1 cost savings is to use a combination of csst for the drops and a steel system for the main with tees.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X