X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Bends

I have to confess that I haven't ever ran galvanized water pipe. For those that do or that did-did you often make bends such as this in your work?

This was removed from a tub valve. They had made the bends to dodge some framing.

Thanks.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Re: Old School Bends

I have an old Ridgid threader that you can change the pitch of the threads to make a length of pipe an offset. I never done this but my master plumber that sponsored me used to do it all the time on long 2" and 2 1/2" runs.

There is a lot of lost skill as the years go by and they take away from our trade with stuff like pex, csst pipe, PVC piping. Its funny that they want to do away with tried and true plumbing, like black pipe for gas, copper and galvanized pipe for water with all this new and improved ways of doing things. I say newer is not always better, not with the high failure rates of the Pex, pex fittings even seen a few failures of CSST piping. Also there has been a recent issue out here at a school they built they had a 4" pressed fitting blow off. Of course everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else. I am trying to get pictures of the failed 4" fitting and pipe... But to all those concerned they are keeping it under tight wraps atm.

How many of you can make a drum trap out of lead like the one pictured? I can but not very pretty since I never got to practice the trade of making my own fittings like they used to in the old days. Oh the damage to the trap was some handyman type getting to close with a torch.
    Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I recall a plumber at the supply house counter explaining something similar to what you have and either he or I said that he needed someone from Chicago to handle that repair.

No, no type of leading skill of making fittings around here. But I haven't seen everything and this guy did run into one.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I recall a plumber at the supply house counter explaining something similar to what you have and either he or I said that he needed someone from Chicago to handle that repair.

No, no type of leading skill of making fittings around here. But I haven't seen everything and this guy did run into one.

J.C.
        AS I said there is a whole lot of lost art out there. Some of it is alive here in Chicago, but it too is fading away.

Comment

Course the problem with working with all that lead is that it leeched into your skin, poisoned your brain and made you ahh ahhh oh yea forget things and what were we talking about and who in hell are you guys and who in hell am I ?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Course the problem with working with all that lead is that it leeched into your skin, poisoned your brain and made you ahh ahhh oh yea forget things and what were we talking about and who in hell are you guys and who in hell am I ?
            I am willing to bet you are one of the old timers that did this type of work, bending galvanized, offset threading, and lead work.

Comment

Everything but the offset threading. Got to look that one up.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Everything but the offset threading. Got to look that one up.
                If I was at the shop I give you the model # of the threader. Mr Delaney used to tell me all about his youthful days using it, and how he change the pitch of the thread to make an offset like a 10' piece of 2" galvanized pipe from the floor to the ceiling he could offset it by an inch by changing the pitch of the threads.

Sadly he passed away before he had a chance to teach me how to do this. Pleural mesothelioma got to him, all that asbestos he handled in his younger days.

Comment

I'm a lil slow so explain that one more time? Why would you want to change the pitch of the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I'm a lil slow so explain that one more time? Why would you want to change the pitch of the thread?

It was to create a offset with the pipe, when it screwed into the fitting it would not screw in perfectly straight. It was to make it offset with out using an offset fitting like a 22 1/2º or a 11 1/4º ells. They pitch the thread to make the pipe screw in at an angle and correct it on the other end of the pipe so a straight coupling could be used to resume the straight run.

I been trying to find it on google but not having any luck. I just may end up driving to the shop and finding the threaders model # to help me with my search.
                    Last edited by SewerRatz; 09-05-2009, 06:40 PM. Reason: fixed a number or two

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      It was to create a offset with the pipe, when it screwed into the fitting it would not screw in perfectly straight. It was to make it offset with out using an offset fitting like a 22º or a 11 1/2º ells. They pitch the thread to make the pipe screw in at an angle and correct it on the other end of the pipe so a straight coupling could be used to resume the straight run.

I been trying to find it on google but not having any luck. I just may end up driving to the shop and finding the threaders model # to help me with my search.

I'm a visual person...better draw a picture and bring it with you next week

Comment

I'm a visual person...better draw a picture and bring it with you next week

I just called a buddy of mine that remembers Mr Delaney telling us about threading an offset thread on a 2" pipe, but like me can not explain this since it never been taught to us. I will go to the shop in the morning and dig it out and play with it a little see if I can figure out how to do this and what effect it has. If I get it figured out I bring it with me.

I am looking forward to next week.. Do any of you want me to bring my Spartan 600?

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          I just called a buddy of mine that remembers Mr Delaney telling us about threading an offset thread on a 2" pipe, but like me can not explain this since it never been taught to us. I will go to the shop in the morning and dig it out and play with it a little see if I can figure out how to do this and what effect it has. If I get it figured out I bring it with me.

I am looking forward to next week.. Do any of you want me to bring my Spartan 600?
                          Nah, the Cash for Clunkers program has ended

Comment

Nah, the Cash for Clunkers program has ended
                            Thats my luck a day late a dollar short.

Comment

Offsets would definitely be handy when working with Durham. My father used to pride himself on his ability to roll fittings. As for other lost skills, I know a few plumbers in NYC who have said they would teach me how to wipe a lead joint. Don't think I'll take them up on it. Though we still pour joints on occasion. However, I wouldn't want to have my caulking pattern critiqued by one of you guys from the city of broad shoulders.

Comment

Working...
                              X