Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas pipe sizing

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    At what point do we say that we don't need to show off our knowledge and let somebody call a plumber?
    14 responses and 2 that gave the poster a clue on what he was asking. did i design the gas system for him? or did i lead him in the right direction to properly and safely answer his question?

once again. avoiding the thread is better than chasing the poster off forum.

hasn't it been pretty much established that if there is nothing constructive to add, don't make it destructive.

did ridgid turn people away from the roundup that weren't in the trades.

just ask cpw what he learned this last week at the roundup. i doubt that what he learned and was exposed to will ever keep any of us from getting a job.

remember that this forum is open to everyone. chasing them away is more dangerous for them, than giving them some simple advise.

next time anyone needs advise with their car, their health, their legal matters,their appliances, that they don't all say sorry, can't help you. you need to set an appointment and come see me.

i would bet that 90% of my help on this forum is geared to helping others in the trade. 10% is geared towards the average joe.

remember that next time anyone of you come here asking for help or advise

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

This thread belongs in Ask the Plumbing Experts, does it not?
      And..... Rick, erstwhile gentleman, has a short fuse today!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        14 responses and 2 that gave the poster a clue on what he was asking. did i design the gas system for him? or did i lead him in the right direction to properly and safely answer his question?
        - Does giving just enough information to someone who obviously does not know what they are doing lead them to properly and safely answer their question OR does it give someone who does not have a clue a false sense of security and the ability to discount what other professionals have recommended there by becoming a hazard to not only themselves but where natural gas is concerned possibly a whole neighborhood..

once again. avoiding the thread is better than chasing the poster off forum. He was not chassed off...Take a look at the first reply and the 11 people who agreed with the advice

hasn't it been pretty much established that if there is nothing constructive to add, don't make it destructive. Destructive is attempting to walk someone through a project that could harm themselves and the general public. Sewer repair OK, Waterline no Problem, Gas line call a pro period.

did ridgid turn people away from the roundup that weren't in the trades. That is an apples and oranges statement which has nothing to do with this discussion...

just ask cpw what he learned this last week at the roundup. i doubt that what he learned and was exposed to will ever keep any of us from getting a job. It is not about job security but the publics safety.

remember that this forum is open to everyone. chasing them away is more dangerous for them, than giving them some simple advise. They were not chased away Rick they were given advice by a professional which was agreed to by 11 other professionals in the interest of public safety. Simple advice can do alot of harm...

next time anyone needs advise with their car, their health, their legal matters,their appliances, that they don't all say sorry, can't help you. you need to set an appointment and come see me. If any of your above examples has the chance of doing harm to the public then you bet they should get the sorry I can't help you.

i would bet that 90% of my help on this forum is geared to helping others in the trade. 10% is geared towards the average joe. Your advice has helped me many times and I am better plumber for knowing you and this board. I simply disagree with dispensing gas line design and installation advice to a non licensed professional.

remember that next time anyone of you come here asking for help or advise

rick.
        Just my 2 cents

Comment

rick

instead of beating us up, you could have solved all the guys problems by now it would seem. breid...............

Comment

Okie summed up my thoughts but I do have something to add. The point is this guy is doing work he's not trained for. This guy is doing some serious gas work and has no concept of what he's doing. If he is licensed, then he needs to lose it. Not for not understanding gas sizing but because he's doing work he's techincally uncapable of.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Seems like I remember him being in the trades. Maybe a full time plumber, can't remember.

His post does not state he doesn't know how to install gas pipe safely. It states that he is having trouble calculating the loads for proper sizing.

Maybe he was just looking for some guidance in making sure he sized things correctly.

But all should be extra careful when advising anything involving NG or LP.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Seems like I remember him being in the trades. Maybe a full time plumber, can't remember.
                Two links saying he is doing it as a pro:
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...292#post245292
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...973#post246973
                And another discussing one of his inspections:
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...001#post244001

Comment

First let me say that I have a great deal of respects for plumbers and their trade but some of you need to give your head a shake. The internet is an open form for the discussion of ideas and what has been said here so far did not provide enough information for someone with no knowledge of the trade (me for example) to size this job, however in about 30 seconds I found a site that provides all the charts and answers to size just about any system. You have spent countless hours learning and many thousands of $ on equipment and you have every right to be paid fairly for the work you do but I for one am tired of the standard answer 'call someone with a license'. For those that wish to help fine for those that don't thats fine too, if someone gives bad advise get out your flame thrower they deserve it. If someone that knows nothing about the subject takes advice from any site as gospel then they truly are stupid.
                  Bottom line you can't fix stupid no matter how hard you try, if they get no answers here they will get them elsewhere.
                  A little good advice and guidance will help most people realize that they are way over their head and will also help them have an intelligent conversation with the pro they hire.

Disclaimer - not meant to fire darts at anyone in particular, just my opinion

Comment

[QUOTE=wbrooks;251775] in about 30 seconds I found a site that provides all the charts and answers to size just about any system.

The only "charts and answers" I would trust are those found in the code book used by the jurisdiction in which a gas line is being run. Anyone competent enough to run a gas line properly would know this. Judging by a rereading of his post ("I'm replumbing most of a 4500 square ft. home"), it looks like bacskcah is a plumber, or at least attempting to be one.
                    Maybe I should have phrased my original post like this,
                    "I'll start by saying that gas lines should be run by a licensed professional. And since you may just be one, I suggest you purchase a copy of the Oregon plumbing code. It contains the information you are seeking".

Comment

Gas is not the same as plumbing, it when installed incorrectly can kill and destroy. This is not overstating the situation, and is the reason that there are the existing codes that there are. Gas code where I am and I assume in most jurisdictions is longer, contains more legalese, and is less open to interpretation than plumbing.
                      I understand that the internet is a place to exchange ideas and look for help and advice, but again gas is different and journeyman gasfitters that work with it day in and out will have a greater (responsibility) respect for the dangers involved with gas and will/should not engage in providing information that could be just that bit that gives someone enough info to now be dangerous.
                      heh bit of a run-on sentence there.

Comment

You can find the answer to just about anything either on the internet or in a good college library. Topics from surgery to building a nuclear bomb. Knowledge, without skill and experience is a dangerous thing. When you add a product as volatile as gas it becomes even more dangerous. Any advice given on the subject of gas piping or gas appliance service that does not start and end with "Call a licensed Professional" is, in my opinion reckless. I would not feel one bit more comfortable knowing that the OP has read anything, anywhere before deciding to tackle a project that is way way way beyond his area or skill and experience. If you have to ask the original question then you should not be doing the job.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm a little confused here. One of the questions I get all the time from licensed service plumbers is what is the formula is for sizing gas. That includes more than one service plumbers on this site. When you do not size gas on a daily basis it is not uncommon to ask what the formula is.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I'm a little confused here. One of the questions I get all the time from licensed service plumbers is what is the formula is for sizing gas. That includes more than one service plumbers on this site. When you do not size gas on a daily basis it is not uncommon to ask what the formula is.

Mark
                            Good point, Mark. However, all plumbers regardless of their specialty should have a copy of the current code book/s used where they do business and furthermore, be able to put it to good use in cases like this one. Whenever I ask a code question from an expert, like Mike Mitchell, I ask for the location in the CPC where I might find the information I'm seeking so that I might understand it within the context it is written.
                            Last edited by Plumbus; 09-14-2009, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I had to calculate gas sizing on the Ca. C-36 test.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                                Good point, Mark. However, all plumbers regardless of their specialty should have a copy of the current code book/s used where they do business and furthermore, be able to put it to good use in cases like this one. Whenever I ask a code question from an expert, like Mike Mitchell, I ask for the location in the CPC where I might find the information I'm seeking so that I might understand it within the context it is written.
                                I agree, I believe our Code books are one of our most valuable tools.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X