• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Give DIY'ers A Break Sometime

Orange County Hacks

sigpic

Comment

For the life of me I just can not understand what there is to gain by telling people how to do your job? The economy is in the toilet so the last thing on my mind is helping someone take more food off my table. But if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and you truly think your are doing the right thing then by all means go ahead. Just remember though. No good deed goes unpunished. As grateful they may be for your words of wisdom, when things don't work out for them, guess who's name is getting splashed all over the internet? They want plumbing advice, they can go to Cheepo Deepo and buy a copy of Plumbing 123.
      sigpic

Comment

You either got them or you don't.

I've burned years of helpful advice into the internet helping others. I get follow-ups/thanks yous from advice I relayed all the way back to 2002.

It's a community service of sorts. I know others do the same and I respect the sometimes hesitation when topics go awry.

Most times I can tell by the responses and the further questions if the talent behind the screen is capable of handling the task.

As far as taking work from the plumber, like mentioned?

That percentage is extremely low. I know many customers that cannot and will not ever turn a screwdriver, nor want to.

There's plenty of work out there for us tradesmen and certainly the times have changed, but I truly do not blame anyone for DIYing.

Look at what Josh accomplished with his plumbing work in his basement; nobody ragged him for doing it without a license. Remember that if you had to pay a plumber every single time there was a problem, that's expensive as hell!

I've never paid an electrician, ever to do work at any of the homes I've owned. None of them burned down.

I smell smoke...
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've gotten some really good advice from several of the pro plumbers here, as well as several of the electricians. You can be pretty clever and read a lot and all that... but a lot of the time, there is just no substitute for experience.

If someone doesn't want to help, that's fine. I respect that. But then why come to an advice forum??

As for the code... well, I can see that frustration. If someone wants to go against code, well, you can't help what goofballs are going to do. At least you've told them the right way to do it. So, as I see it, as long as you offer code-consistent advice, that's about the best you guys can do.

Remember, in the final assessment, no matter what is said here, people are always going to do whatever they want. The ultimate responsibility for what any of us does, irrespective of the advice offered on an internet forum, is solely our own. If someone is inclined to do a plumbing action that could pollute the city water supply and poison their neighbor, well.... seems to me they are even more likely to do it without a pro's advice, 'cause they haven't got a clue -- they don't understand the issue! You can help with that. Unless you are able to make pipe wrenches illegal in the hands of non-pros, which is pretty impractical, I think pro advice helps, it doesn't hurt.

By the way, with regard to vehicle repairs... it's just as dangerous. Ever seen the quality of a typical amateur brake job? The guy on the freeway next to you might have done his brakes in the driveway this morning, with a screwdriver, a Crescent wrench, the wrong brake fluid from a can that was opened three years ago, and greasy hands. And he's in a 4000 pound machine going 70, right next to you.

Just my opinion - I respect the alternate views.

Comment

Hit the nail smack on the head. "Folks are going to do whatever they want." Yes they are, regardless of how good or bad the advice they get is. Why? because more than anything else, they lack experience. The whole brakes thing don't really fly though, because most states require you to inspect the vehicle. At any rate aren't we really

sigpic

Comment

>> ""They did do a Head Gasket recall..."

JC, I owned a performance engine shop for several years. We didn't do dealer work, except for ONE toyota dealer that wanted to do a good job, because ALL dealers in my area do the shodiest possible work - anything to save a dime. I did some non-performance work (as little as possible) because, well, it was easy money. Made a fortune on BMW heads... did so many I used to stock them. But I digress.

Anyway, I know that 3VZE well. The head gasket problem was a corrosion issue that affected water passages on the the block (iron) and head (aluminum). The recalled engines were all done at shops local to the dealerships. I designed special tooling that enabled my shop to surface the block deck to Toyota Engineering specs - without disassembling the short block.

They paid me a lot of money for this. But, since no disassembly was needed, it saved them a lot of money, plus avoiding all the problems associated with their people making mistakes putting the engine back together.

The corrosion was galvanic, due to the graphite-layered head gasket. After we machined off the corroded surfaces on the blocks and heads (heads were actually replaced about 50% of the time because they were too far gone to clean up), we would send the engines back to the dealer. Their mechanics would put the heads on and reinstall. I learned that they were , at the factory's direction, putting the SAME exact type of gasket back in.

10-20k miles later, the engines came back again with the exact same problem. I could tell because we date stamped 'em all, with our own code.

We did a bunch of 3VZE's that were out of warranty, directly for Customers. We did the assembly. I bought a different gasket from Fel-Pro. Never saw ONE of those come back.

But, I have to say, other than the gasket fiasco, that 3VZE is a beautifully engineered little motor. Strong to beat hell, like no other V6 I've seen in a production car.

Comment

>> "The whole brakes thing don't really fly though, because most states require you to inspect the vehicle."

No safety inspections in CA. Only emissions.
                And we have a few cars here...

Even in states where there are safety inspections, what happens in the time between when the amateur mechanic butches his brakes and the annual or bi-annual inspection?

My point is, there's lots of way to screw up, and screw up bad. It's not exclusive to plumbing or electrical.

Comment

Yep, but protecting folks from bad plumbing is my job. Bad cars is someone elses
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    That picture looks like a rotor for a car.

Stick to plumbing.......LOL http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...oq=&aqi=g1g-m9

Comment

I am guessing by rotor he meant the distributer where the electrical rotor would go. at first glance that is what I thought it may be as well but on closer inspection It did not look like the advance in a distributer,

~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      by NH Master
                      For the life of me I just can not understand what there is to gain by telling people how to do your job? The economy is in the toilet so the last thing on my mind is helping someone take more food off my table.
                      you list your self as an educator, (but a very selective educator apparently), some educators are educators by heart, and they want to share there knowledge to others, even if there not compensated, for it, at one time the term Teacher was used as that was what was in there hearts, was to teach, to expand the base of knowledge to others, just because some one knows how to, does not mean they do it,
                      I would venture to guess in your school there is an art department and the "educator" possesses the knowledge to form and bake and make a toilet, from ceramics, but do they, I would guess not,
                      you posses the knowledge and access to the tools, to make "Pipe Nipples" do you make them or buy them. you could cast your own wax toilet rings, do you?,
                      there are a lot of things a person has knowledge of, but it does not nessarly make them do it, having some know how makes a person a better informed customer,
                      it is some what like the person who sees the oil light come on in the car and they drive it for three more weeks before having some one check on it, the lack of knowledge is a detriment to there safety and those around them.

Hey Tool, I won't even crack my eyes open in the morning for a hundred bucks. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28205
                      It really does not look like your to concerned about feeding your face,
                      Last edited by BHD; 09-19-2009, 09:55 AM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have been over this issue on more forums and more threads than I care to remember. Let me ask a question of you though. If you go on in and ask a surgeon how to do a gastric bypass, do you really think he is going to take even 1 second to explain the procedure to you? All you diy hacks seem to think that just because you can tell the difference between a screwdriver and a hammer that somehow you should possess the experience and skills to take on any job you don't think you can pay someone else with the knowledge and skill to do. And I do teach. It's a 2 year class and another 4 year class. And when the students come out of them they have knowledge and skills because they take the course step by step from the beginning. No short cuts. No dive right in and start hacking away. They understand theory and procedure. As for feeding myself, hell yes, for the knowledge and skills I posess, plus the licenses I hold, I DAMN WELL do have the right to make money. Lot's of it.

Next
                        sigpic

Comment

If an individual wants information to make themselves better informed, so they can ask the right questions when a contractor arrives, I like it.

If the individual wants information so they can attempt to do a dangerous job that others are qualified to do... no thanks, if they blow themselves up, i'd still sleep just fine. until their lawyers got ahold of me.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

A lawyer isn't going to call you in for posting a picture you found on Google Image Search and asking if this is what the person is asking about.

If a person is worried about giving information they shouldn't over the internet they should probably just log out instead of sweating everything a hack asks a question.

Comment

I wasn't referencing the picture, but giving Too much advice in general. I think a certain amount is educating the individual, too much information without the right background is just Bad.

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                              A lawyer isn't going to call you in for posting a picture you found on Google Image Search and asking if this is what the person is asking about.

If a person is worried about giving information they shouldn't over the internet they should probably just log out instead of sweating everything a hack asks a question.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                                I wasn't referencing the picture, but giving Too much advice in general. I think a certain amount is educating the individual, too much information without the right background is just Bad.
                                What I said is more directed towards NH.

I've said to customers for many years "a little bit of 'this old house' is dangerous".

I've made a living at cleaning up behind people who thought they could handle a project.

That said, there is a big difference between answering a simple question and giving a detailed account of how to do something only a pro should do. And there are a lot more people taking food off my table than some guy half way across the nation just asking a question.

Comment

Working...
                                X